Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Naughty or Nice?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• PaulMags wrote:

As I said, why a person with a master's degree, no debt and no kids who is involved with a cult needs alimony is another story...
      Well, the simple and not-so-sad fact is that the Family Court doesn't want to have a multi-day trial on the issue of whether one spouse NEEDS alimony or not in every single case. The reasons are many. One that many people don't consider are un-lawyered litigants. Having a formulaic approach to BOTH child support AND alimony protects an un-lawyered litigant from overreaching/overbearing/ignorance of the law. It also removes any gender bias(except in the fact that if both spouses have the exact same job the male probably earns more) and allows the male spouse to receive fair alimony if he is the lesser wage earner without having to prove he needs it...alimony considers the fact that nobody was forced to get married and that when the marriage ends, it isn't fair to punish the lower wage earner by a sudden, and possibly life-long, drop in the standard of life that their spouse and they grew accustomed to, while rewarding the higher income spouse with the same lifestyle they had during the marriage, solely because they earn more money.

Remember what Tony Baretta always said....Don't Do the Crime, If You Can't Do the Time....oh yeah...DON"T DO IT! :evil:
    • ScareBear wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

As I said, why a person with a master's degree, no debt and no kids who is involved with a cult needs alimony is another story...
      Well, the simple and not-so-sad fact is that the Family Court doesn't want to have a multi-day trial on the issue of whether one spouse NEEDS alimony or not in every single case. The reasons are many. One that many people don't consider are un-lawyered litigants. Having a formulaic approach to BOTH child support AND alimony protects an un-lawyered litigant from overreaching/overbearing/ignorance of the law. It also removes any gender bias(except in the fact that if both spouses have the exact same job the male probably earns more) and allows the male spouse to receive fair alimony if he is the lesser wage earner without having to prove he needs it...alimony considers the fact that nobody was forced to get married and that when the marriage ends, it isn't fair to punish the lower wage earner by a sudden, and possibly life-long, drop in the standard of life that their spouse and they grew accustomed to, while rewarding the higher income spouse with the same lifestyle they had during the marriage, solely because they earn more money.
      Remember what Tony Baretta always said....Don't Do the Crime, If You Can't Do the Time....oh yeah...DON"T DO IT! :evil:
      While your explanation explains the legal, it still looks immorral to me. All because it some how became law, still doesn't make it right.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • ScareBear wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

There's legal and there's ethical.

And we'll leave it at that.
    • In the movie "good fellas" a young Henry Hill is telling a senior mob guy how another kid beat him out of twenty bucks, and Henry is pissed. The Mob guy says "look at it this way, that kid will never ask you for another thing in life, consider yourself lucky, you got off cheap"

Lots a truth in that ;)
    • meat wrote:

It also needs to be said though, that divorce by its very nature means one will win and one will loose, rarely is it amicable.
      Normally you're correct, however I know several couples who have managed to be civilized in the matter. One such couple are without children but the others have children which makes the ordeal a bit less stressful for them.

However there are other couples with the requisite horror stories.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

It also needs to be said though, that divorce by its very nature means one will win and one will loose, rarely is it amicable.
      Normally you're correct, however I know several couples who have managed to be civilized in the matter. One such couple are without children but the others have children which makes the ordeal a bit less stressful for them.
      Met a young man at a camp out a couple of months back, really enjoyed sitting around the fire sharing a few drinks and listening to his story...at 17 he went home past curfew and his mother had all his belongings in the yard, lived out of his car, worked at fast food places, worked his way though college, chemical engineering degree, started his own company, successful, two young children, recently divorced but with a fantastic attitude and properly done, the guy was wise beyond his years...one thing he said that stuck with me is that one day he decided he didn't just want to get along, he wanted to be happy...and didn't want to end up 60 years old going through it...was kind of funny when he told us he was on a business trip in WV and saw a well dressed, older guy walking down the street and he thought to himself...that guy just said phuck and left...that guy may be me before long.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Be thankful it's happening while you're still young...you still can have a life....Blessings are often hidden in adversity.
      Divorced and 42 is actually better then being 42 and never having been married in all seriousness. At least in terms of dating women my age.

Had a good time last night. First date in seven years. Taking it slower as I really don't want to jump into anything too fast.

We'll see...

Speaking of the Mob, digging this podcast!
      crimetownshow.com/
    • Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

I'm going through a very quiet civilized separation. We are on track to divorce but are living in the same house until the kids are out of school. About 18 months to go.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

Normally you're correct, however I know several couples who have managed to be civilized in the matter. One such couple are without children but the others have children which makes the ordeal a bit less stressful for them.However there are other couples with the requisite horror stories.
      I'm going through a very quiet civilized separation. We are on track to divorce but are living in the same house until the kids are out of school. About 18 months to go.
      Sorry to hear about this. Sometimes people just grow apart or have different wants and needs in life. My folks divorced and it was the best thing for them, that wanted different things out of life...it was a very amicable split. Do the girls know?
    • meat wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

Normally you're correct, however I know several couples who have managed to be civilized in the matter. One such couple are without children but the others have children which makes the ordeal a bit less stressful for them.However there are other couples with the requisite horror stories.
      Sorry to hear about this. Sometimes people just grow apart or have different wants and needs in life. My folks divorced and it was the best thing for them, that wanted different things out of life...it was a very amicable split. Do the girls know?
      Yes
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • PaulMags wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Sorry to hear this. Good luck. Must be hard to live with someone you've decided to separate from.
      It's awkward but not too bad
      Dr. Seuss Cof123