Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

RI Homeless must read AT forums?????

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There's a park in Palm Beach County where the homeless as you call them are allowed to pitch tents and sleep in them overnight. They call it tent city. It's behind the softball fields. A lot of people complained about the unsightliness of it. I have to admit that it was getting out of hand and looking very trashy. What they did rather than throw the people out on the streets and pacify the non-homeless visitors was made a few rules. They are not allowed to run clothes lines and they are not allowed to set their tents up till after dark and must have them taken down by first light. It seems to be working. It hasn't made everybody completely happy but a reasonable compromise has been made.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • While mt biking in an area several miles south of Salt Lake City months ago, I encountered a tent dweller whom claimed he'd been tenting year round for over four years. We talked for several minutes about the lifestyle and he expressed it's not for everyone. However after a divorce, experiencing financial difficulties, living in a shelter at night, he decided to revert to his scouting experience and try tenting.

As he claimed to have a job, he uses a bike with public transit for transport and a gym membership for showers.

Appeared to be an enterprising guy with an interesting lifestyle.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • There were lots of homeless after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina hit the coast. Some had tents and some wrre given tents. One of the bars out by the Interstate, let some of them camp on their lawn. Other places let thrm camp to. But after about 2 years, they had to stop.

It typically take 20 years for an area to mostly recover after a hurricane.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.