Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Piezo Igniter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Piezo Igniter

My MSR Piezo igniter hasn't failed yet, until yesterday.

I first tried to use it around 5 pm to light my alchy stove but the igniter didn't work after multiple attempts. It was chilly at that time but not too cold. I had no trouble lighting the stove with a lighter, or rather with a piece of newspaper.
      The next morning it still didn't work. Today, I googled to see if other people had trouble and read a review from a hiker that said that it failed him in temps less than 32*.

I tried it today and it works.

Does anyone have experience with igniters?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • socks wrote:

They work fine, if everything is dry...I like an open flame when things get fussy, can't go wrong with good old matches, like a down sleeping bag though...gotta keep it dry at all costs.
      It was dry. I thought maybe I got too much heet in the end so I let it sit for a while before trying it again.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • I don't carry such an item while on a trail. However I've noticed it doesn't work well on the gas grill in sub-freezing temps. Of course by the time I realize it's not working and get a match going, I'm treated to a fireball.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • JimBlue wrote:

I carry two of the orange match safes. Very light weight. They carry about 20 waterproof matches. Also carry two boxes of waterproof matches in a ziplock bag so the box doesn't get wet. That keeps the strike area dry.
      Uh how about retiring that idea... We grew up with that, I have to say the boy scouts are clearly responsible for this. They allowed lighters many years ago and the boys flicked their Bics till they sun showed home. As embarrassing as this is many years later I was watching an old John Wayne flic...sorry about the pun. And he mentioned a "Wind Match" started the forest blaze. Stupefied I looked it up, here you go. Yes you can get a smoke from a wind match. And please understand I used to do the orange box safes..Thanks Jim for bringing this up.

To the average reader....

Here is a modern Wind Match....Sad part is some of you are older and don't remember this.
      [IMG:https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M31c6a0bc61797da3cbe4ca390ca1694eo0&w=300&h=189&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0]

rei.com/product/617046/rei-stormproof-matches

Now I have given ALL this up. Why? Well Ziploc leaks and sucks. A White stock Bic can be held up to the light and can show how much fluid is left in the unit. The Child Safety ring is easily removed by flicking it out with a knife. The best part? You can get thousands of lights on the tiny model and not worry... oh what if its wet? well blow the hell out of it... in fact dunk it in a glass of water and blow on it for say 5-15 minutes. then light again.... well what if it is out of fuel? Huh STILL WORKS! heard of a tinder bundle? well make one... use nuggets of pine nodules and learn that this too can catch a spark.
      What if???? ...TBC

Hope that helps... Woo
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I first tried to use it around 5 pm to light my alchy stove but the igniter didn't work after multiple attempts. It was chilly at that time but not too cold. I had no trouble lighting the stove with a lighter, or rather with a piece of newspaper.
      The next morning it still didn't work. Today, I googled to see if other people had trouble and read a review from a hiker that said that it failed him in temps less than 32*.

Probably too moist. All of them work below 32° the other factor is not the best steel. Find a way to dry it out.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Probably too moist. All of them work below 32° the other factor is not the best steel. Find a way to dry it out.
      lets try that again

It's piezo Woo, not steel.
    • socks wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

lets try that again
      It's piezo Woo, not steel.
      :D Thanks no kidding... never thought after reading that thread anyone would use a quartz crystal to light an alcohol stove - but hey I can keep an open mind... $1 one ounce BIc & thousands of lights vs ..... Socks can figure it out. having read the reviews and saw the video... TJ retire that darn thing... Apparently made in China.... NO BIGGIE.
    • LIhikers wrote:

If you can adjust the gap of the piezo ignitor making the contacts a little closer together might help.
      The night we stayed at Upper Goose Pond, in Mass., I got the ignitor in a hikers JetBoil to work by bending one of the contacts so the gap between them was a little smaller.
      I wonder if oxidation forms on the wire? Ideally, the end of the wire would be a needle point with no oxidation.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does