Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MLK IV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I guess the most obvious route would be to walk the Suffern Bear Mountain Trail as it ends right near the Inn.
      The Ramapo Dunderburg Trail would be another possibility, if my memory serves me correctly.
      Just keep in mind that some of the roads in the area are closed during winter.
      I'll have to go dig out our map.
      I'll put in for the Sunday and Monday off from work for MLK weekend, Friday and Saturday are regular days off.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

Just wish it wasn't so far for me to drive. :(
      And the potential of snow and ice makes it even tougher.
      Maybe some day after I retire. :)
      MLK X?!
      Probably more like XIII or XIV, but something to look forward to. :)
      Looked at train and bus, but too expensive to justify right now for a couple of days of hiking. Although I know it would be an awesome time with an awesome group of people. Plus no guarantee where I will with the Physical Therapy then.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

I believe it is time to start talking about MLK VI!
      HB and I recently did a loop in the southern part of Harriman Park, and that wild hair is tickling me to go in that direction, but still be able to get to The Inn Sunday for brunch. I am specifically looking at NY/NJ map 118. Parking a few cars near Sloatsburg on 7 Lakes road and some at Lake Skanatati. Either direction works, with many options for Saturday loops, with 3 shelters in that area.
      If you have ideas........ go for it
      Any decision yet? Route 106 is open all year, if memory serves, and at least you used to be able to park near where the plow turns around on Johnsontown Road. Or even hike the Ramapo-Dunderberg from Tuxedo, it's blazed all the way into town.

3 shelters: Tom Jones, Dutch Doctor, what are you counting as the third? Bald Rocks, where we were last year, or ... what's the name of the one over on the Mount Ivy side, is that one Stone Memorial?

Let me know where folks are meeting. My daughter wants to come this time. She might need to do a late-Friday arrival. She'll be coming from eastern CT.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Lou said he wanted to explore the southern part of the park.
      East of Seven Lakes Drive you can go farther south but there are less trails to choose from.
      There is Stone Memorial shelter but there may be legal camping at the south west corner the lake (Pine Meadow lake? ) at the ruins of the old CCC camp.
      Kathy and I camped there early this year as there was a yellow disc with the picture of a tent. What else would that mean, right. And there's water to be had from the lake.
      Parking could be at the Ramapo Equestrian Center or at the Ditzler Road trail head or Reeves Meadow visitor center

On the west side of Seven Lakes Drive the Dutch Doctor shelter is the most southern place to camp.
      The park doesn't go as far south but there are more trails to choose from.
      Parking could be at Johnstown Circle or the Revees Meadow visitor center

We could do something different this year and spend both Friday and Saturday night at the same place.
      Hike in Friday and set up camp. Do a loop hike on Saturday finishing where we started from. Hike out on Sunday morning and drive to the Inn.

Kathy and I will be spending Sunday night in the park if anyone wants to join us.
      We'll probably leave the car in the lot by the Inn and hike up to West Mountain.

WARNING: This is all from a 65 year old's memory without aid of a map.