Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

adding zipper windows to commercial tent ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• adding zipper windows to commercial tent ?

I now prefer one of my commercial tents over the other. I have a Gander Mt. dome tent that has zipper windows in the rear and in the zipper door.

The two side windows, have insect netting, but no zipper windows. Its fine in xalm conditions, but pouring rain and wind, water gets in.

A rather subjective question, but would it be easier to add zipper windows to the sides of this tent, or, make a tarp tent with whatever windows I need to have ? Or should I just cover up these two side windows in the dome tent ? I've never made a tent or any other myog item.

Thanks !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Are you asking to add zippers to windows made of netting? I like using a shaped tarp with a separate net tent inner. It gives me more options. I can pitch the net tent without the tarp in warm and clear weather. I can pitch the tarp down low to the ground in bad weather or up for more ventilation. I can sleep in the net tent in a shelter to avoid mice and spiders.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • OK Jim - although most here think I am totally a hammock hanger, I still store three tents.... one is a six man the other is an 8 man, and the final is an older 5 pound one man that can be something you can sit up and get changed, with little wiggle room.

I think you can stitch or double stitch thick clear plastic for light to come in on the top

see photo

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/2009B055.jpg]">
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • What's the purpose of the windows? Is it for ventilation or to be able to look out?
      Form usually follows function.

All of a sudden tents are getting a lot of built in accessories, windows, led lights, battery packs to power electronic gadgets, and holders to secure those gadgets. All I need my tent to do is keep out bugs and weather.
    • LIhikers wrote:

What's the purpose of the windows? Is it for ventilation or to be able to look out?
      Form usually follows function.

All of a sudden tents are getting a lot of built in accessories, windows, led lights, battery packs to power electronic gadgets, and holders to secure those gadgets. All I need my tent to do is keep out bugs and weather.
      I want the lightest and simplest thing that will protect me from the elements and and is easy to put up and take down.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• The windows in the tent I bought are for ventilation. I did think of adding duct tape and just covering the windows; however, I think the tape would come loose if I hiked long distances and folded the tent up day after day. The tent is kinda heavy as it is. Lightweight silnylon wouldn't add that much weight to it.

I have found, and downloaded, a tarp tent pattern wth instructions. It has a floor, and vent windows one both ends. And a zippered door which has one of the windows. I could make this out of a tarp I already have, or buy some 0.9 ounce silnylon.

Sigh. I'll have to refind the tarp tent pdf... I redid my downloads folder and put it somewhere other than my hiking folder.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

The windows in the tent I bought are for ventilation. I did think of adding duct tape and just covering the windows; however, I think the tape would come loose if I hiked long distances and folded the tent up day after day. The tent is kinda heavy as it is. Lightweight silnylon wouldn't add that much weight to it.

I have found, and downloaded, a tarp tent pattern wth instructions. It has a floor, and vent windows one both ends. And a zippered door which has one of the windows. I could make this out of a tarp I already have, or buy some 0.9 ounce silnylon.

Sigh. I'll have to refind the tarp tent pdf... I redid my downloads folder and put it somewhere other than my hiking folder.
      I would lie to see a pic - anything out there or a google brand name?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Seems to me that you get good ventilation from the mesh in the sides that you don't really need the window.
      Apply a light coat of RTV Silicone sealant over the window zipper to permanently close it.

You can find plans for a tarptent at tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html
      I found that one and rather like it.

My brother-in-law and I talked about Visqueen. I'll check around and see what a roll costs locally.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I now prefer one of my commercial tents over the other. I have a Gander Mt. dome tent that has zipper windows in the rear and in the zipper door.

The two side windows, have insect netting, but no zipper windows. Its fine in xalm conditions, but pouring rain and wind, water gets in.

A rather subjective question, but would it be easier to add zipper windows to the sides of this tent, or, make a tarp tent with whatever windows I need to have ? Or should I just cover up these two side windows in the dome tent ? I've never made a tent or any other myog item.

Thanks !
      Let me see if understand this correctly.
      You want to cut more holes into a tent that you know already leaks in the rain?
      If it were me I'd want to fix the leaks first.
      Have you sealed the seams of this tent and it's fly?
    • I want to add nylon closures so I can close the two side windows I have, not add windows.

Currently, if I put up either tent in the rain, the inside will be very wet, maybe swimming, before I can get the rain fly on it.

But if all 4 windows have closures on them, that gives me time to put the rain fly on the tent.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Gander Mt. 3 person dome, the one I use for an avatar, and better pictures are on my web site. The ones on my site show the netting windows. I'll attach the one that shows the tent without rain fly.
      Now I follow - I wasn't sure OK the netting windows are on the front but not used for real ventilation, as there is more on top.

Lets get serious.

How old is the tent?
      How do you use it - back of car camping, a walk in the woods, serious backpacking? If Backpacking is someone splitting the load with you?
      This tent you are using appears to be 6 pounds and 13 ounces almost seven pounds about five pounds more than what I am willing to carry. Also - its nylon - not sil and and unlikely to be Pu coated or UV resistant. The tarp on top doesn't come down far enough, hence you are getting wet.

How much are you willing to pay to replace it and do you really need 3Person?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• I used it back in November of 2015. It worked fine. I only used it the one time car camping. It isn't really a 3 person tent. Its short enough I have to sleep diagonally to fit. There is room for a few items after that. Not room for my backpack. I've been in it during rain and didn't get wet.

I have downloaded a pdf and looked at a DIY tarp tent. Cost is below $100, and it weighs about 2 pounds. I might be able to afford that due to changes in my social security payments and a dental bill I'm paying off.

So the money is short, so I doubt I'll get on the BMT until maybe September of this year or not until 2016.
      --
    • I'm not adding a window. I'm adding a cover so it wont rain in while I'm putting the tent up.

And a window is good for ventilation. Ventilation is good. Suffocating is bad.

Camp over night, hike the next day. I see them as part of the same thing, getting outdoors.
      --
    • OK Jim, This is different from your first post or thread starter. Many of us do not worry about getting wet when setting up or taking down a tent. I have been to your web site viewed the images and its a good tent. As others have said before seam seal it, follow the directions or watch a you tube for direction. Then carry a bandanna or possibly half a green sponge - once the tent is up I would wipe the floor an ring it out. The sponge is a pot scrubber.
    • I've put up tents in pouring rain. But they didn't have floors or windows. I would probably take a small towel with me to clean it out after I put it up. My relatives who sew have told me if I wanted to add window closures to the two side net windows, I could, but then getting to that area with a sewing machine would be very difficult.
      --
    • I talked over with my sister. To get zippered windows on the two places that don't have them would require taking it apartm sewing them on, and sewing it back together. we couldn't do it, but she knows a semstress that could.

I decided to either make a tarptent, or hand sew, I've done it, velcro strips on the tent. Or maybe glue them on and the sew them in place. Seam seal. Make two pieces of nylon with velcro strips, sew, seam seal.

Towel would likely be faster and lighter.
      --