Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wilderness Areas and Mountain Bikes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SandyofPA wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i agree with the concept that bikes are inconsistent with the idea of wilderness areas.
      I have a difficult time grasping that horses are ok but mountain bikes are inconsistent with a wilderness area.
      Gear that makes for faster travel can increase trail usage. Therefore why not prohibit light and ultralight hiker gear to reduce AT foot traffic? :evil:
      I'm classified as comfortably light. I'm OK with banning those ultralight hikers
      Het Guys, Just because I carry Ultra light gear doesn't mean I cause more wear to the trail. It just means I can go at all!
      Same here. I have to go light or these old knees won't make it. Too many sports injuries in my youth.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by jimmyjam ().

• WanderingStovie wrote:

If that does not sufficiently reduce trail usage, require hikers (except day hikers) to carry a shelter and a bear-proof container/sack large enough to hold all food, toothpaste, and garbage.
      Great idea! How about adding either a digging tool (I'll accept a snow stake in lieu of a trowel) or a wag bag to that list?
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i agree with the concept that bikes are inconsistent with the idea of wilderness areas.
      I have a difficult time grasping that horses are ok but mountain bikes are inconsistent with a wilderness area.
      Gear that makes for faster travel can increase trail usage. Therefore why not prohibit light and ultralight hiker gear to reduce AT foot traffic? :evil:
      I'm classified as comfortably light. I'm OK with banning those ultralight hikers
      Het Guys, Just because I carry Ultra light gear doesn't mean I cause more wear to the trail. It just means I can go at all!
      Same here. I have to go light or these old knees won't make it. Too many sports injuries in my youth.
      That's my deal too...fallin' apart at the seams.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

By defalt I'm falling into this catagory, but gotta wait for my wallet to catch up.
    • meat wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

By defalt I'm falling into this catagory, but gotta wait for my wallet to catch up.
      You can buy some pretty good stuff used at decent prices on BPL. I've picked up and sold some stuff there thru paypal.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

You can buy some pretty good stuff used at decent prices on BPL. I've picked up and sold some stuff there thru paypal.
      Being real good with a sewing machine helps my wallet, as long as I don't see anything new I just gotta copy! :/ Then the materials undo all the good that sewing does.