Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Rigging Generic Tarps over a Hammock - Ridgeline.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rigging Generic Tarps over a Hammock - Ridgeline.

Understanding how to rig a generic tarp over a hammock is very important... although not needed with the Hennessy, I have played with ponchos to custom made tarps - knowing a good knot is key - practicing while on the trail won't do you any good... its important to know the knots that you need and have the right cord before you go... I like using Zing-it or Lash-it line made from Dyneema, for guy outs I use Trip Teese from EMS, a reflectix that easy to spot when the midnight relievers kick in.

The Knots you need to know are two half-hitches and the taut-line hitch.

Here is a important Article.
      [IMG:http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/no-knot-continuous-ridgeline-tarp.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Understanding how to rig a generic tarp over a hammock is very important... although not needed with the Hennessy, I have played with ponchos to custom made tarps - knowing a good knot is key - practicing while on the trail won't do you any good... its important to know the knots that you need and have the right cord before you go... I like using Zing-it or Lash-it line made from Dyneema, for guy outs I use Trip Teese from EMS, a reflectix that easy to spot when the midnight relievers kick in.

The Knots you need to know are two half-hitches and the taut-line hitch.

Here is a important Article.
      [IMG:http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/no-knot-continuous-ridgeline-tarp.jpg]

WOO, I like that loop step.....I think I will give it a try next time out!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Some talk about using shock cord (same stuff around tie boxes) at Christmas time for the tie outs to the tent pegs, to open it up.

Was it JustBill who had the shock cord tie downs?

Mike...I would also use a bowline in figure 1, 'cause it moves!

.but I would only use a shock cord if it was straight to a peg. No need on cord.

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Some talk about using shock cord (same stuff around tie boxes) at Christmas time for the tie outs to the tent pegs, to open it up.

.but I would only use a shock cord if it was straight to a peg. No need on cord.
      yes, it was.
      I use a Texas hitch. Fully adjustable, and no need to ever unite, just pull the tag end and presto...

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

yes, it was.
      I use a Texas hitch. Fully adjustable, and no need to ever unite, just pull the tag end and presto...

I loop the tag end in the tautline hitch on all the tie downs.

I use a continuous ridgeline with just one of these Liberty adjusters

[IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Did8Avb4L._SY300_.jpg]

and attach my tarp to it and guylines using mini S biners

[IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Rhs13QlkL._SX425_.jpg]

It's even faster than tying knots and because I'm often setting up in the dark, the easier and faster it is to erect, the sooner I'm in the rack. I use the adjusters on the guylines to my stakes too.

I also hang these so I have light inside my hammock and under my tarp

[IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Zi93bdWQL._SX425_.jpg]

I backpack with a hammock...shock cords are bulkier, heavier and do not provide any benefit IMHO. Plus is your ridgeline bows under wind pressure against the tarp, it can launch a stake at you. No shock cords here.

On my tarp I Dont use a full ridge line. My ridge guy out is 12 feet of orange glowire, with a biner that goes around the tree and clips back onto itself. The other end of the glowire is attached to a prusik and the prusik is attached to the ridge tie out loop. Adjustment is made at the prusik right at the tarp tie out.
      [IMG:https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/8/5/0/5/photo_original.jpg]
      [IMG:https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/8/5/0/5/photo-1_115977_original.jpg]
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

yes, it was.

yeppers, same e same

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

yes, it was.

yeppers, same e same

Wait, all fall/ winter I've been getting reflective cord for the tie downs! The Hooch will look like a Christmas tree. :cheer:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

yes, it was.

yeppers, same e same

Wait, all fall/ winter I've been getting reflective cord for the tie downs! The Hooch will look like a Christmas tree. :cheer:
      Cool, Rain man gave me some amsteel??? I think when we hiked last year...good stuff

I just made two hammocks and a tarp and I'm happy with the universal hammock hanging ropes I've made using 7/64 Amsteel but the tarp hanging needs help. I have 1.75 Samson rope on it now which doubles back around the tree but I'm thinking of using the Amsteel and a similar adjustable connector to make it easily adjustable, what I now have takes too long. I have the cold weather hammock now hanging in the back yard which is where I'll spend the night to see how a sleeping pad works in a 2-ply hammock, supposed to be in the upper 20's, not too cold but it should give me a pretty good idea of how it'll work. If there's any supper dupper tarp hang method out there I'd like to hear about it, I'd like to come up with something that's easily adjustable over the hammock.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Drybones wrote:

I just made two hammocks and a tarp and I'm happy with the universal hammock hanging ropes I've made using 7/64 Amsteel but the tarp hanging needs help. I have 1.75 Samson rope on it now which doubles back around the tree but I'm thinking of using the Amsteel and a similar adjustable connector to make it easily adjustable, what I now have takes too long. I have the cold weather hammock now hanging in the back yard which is where I'll spend the night to see how a sleeping pad works in a 2-ply hammock, supposed to be in the upper 20's, not too cold but it should give me a pretty good idea of how it'll work. If there's any supper dupper tarp hang method out there I'd like to hear about it, I'd like to come up with something that's easily adjustable over the hammock.

Have you ever tried a Whoopie Sling? They are awesome!

BC9696 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Have you ever tried a Whoopie Sling? They are awesome!

I started to go with whoopies but decided to make the universal cord connector instead, basically the same as a whoopie but uses two pieces of rope, One piece slides along the other, takes less rope than the whoopie.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.