Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Making an underquilt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I measured my Apex (Climashield) to 46" x 60". But I mistakenly cut it 42" x 60" so that's what I'm going with.
      • I measured and cut a piece of HyperD Ripstop from Ripstop by the Roll to 47" x 60". I allowed 2.5" on each side for a seam because I decided to sew the channels directly into the ripstop.
      • I measured, marked, and sewed my first rolled hem which is going to get rolled again and sewn to make a channel.
      I discovered that slowing the pedal speed on the machine gives me a lot more control over the slippery fabric. Also, taking the time to measure, mark, and pin the hem made my first hem turn out the best so far (the new hemmer foot is too difficult for me right now so I'm not going to use it).

Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Forgot to mention that when I was marking and pinning the hem, having the Apex lying on top of the ripstop kept it from sliding around and bunching up which made it easier to work with.
      Did you see where that guy was taping the fabric to the floor?
      I forgot about that. I'm going to start making notes on tips and tricks in my project notebook.
    • I see you're pinning parallel to your seam. Pinning perpendicular to the seam direction makes it really easy to sew right over the pins and remove them after.

Also, a note to add to the slower sewing speed; slow is defintely good, btw, but also go back and watch him sew in the video and you will see him holding the material on both sides of the foot and only sewing 6-8" at a time. This is very important. It's easy to get your fabric uneven if you don't keep the same tension on each piece.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
      • I taped the non-channel layer of ripstop to the floor. taped the channeled ripstop on top, traced around with a fabric marker, slid my cutting mat underneath, and trimmed using the rotary cutter. Very simple.
      • Time to make a sandwich. I layered Apex (two layers of 2.5 oz/sq yd), the channeled ripstop with the channel on the Apex side because I want an invisible channel, then my top layer of ripstop.
      • Pin, pin, pin, and pin some more. I only pinned one side then added a few random pins around the other three sides to keep everything neat and tidy while sewing.
      • I sewed the layers with the Apex side down and didn't have any problems this time. The Apex from Ripstop is a better quality and easier to use than the other stuff I bought. I'm really happy with the seam. I got a little close to the edge a few times but have all my layers together.
      • Repeat for the opposite side.

I took the first picture after taking the tape off, that's why it's so wrinkled.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I didn't sew all the way to the edges as I'm going to add some loops in each edge.

Well, dang, the channel is too narrow so I'm going to add another row of stitches.
      Mine has shock cord down each side, and a gather at the ends by tightenig or loosening at the connection to the ends - well it wont need loops. if you do put a loop include an eye hook so it clips onto the sides of the hammock.

remember as you toss and turn it needs to slide on the hammock
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I didn't sew all the way to the edges as I'm going to add some loops in each edge.

Well, dang, the channel is too narrow so I'm going to add another row of stitches.
      Mine has shock cord down each side, and a gather at the ends by tightenig or loosening at the connection to the ends - well it wont need loops. if you do put a loop include an eye hook so it clips onto the sides of the hammock.

remember as you toss and turn it needs to slide on the hammock

Thanks, you saved me some time. I decided to put grosgrain channels on the ends and wasn't sure if it still needed loops.
    • I decided to put a loop in each corner so I would have an alternate way to hang the UQ, just in case I screwed something up. I'm sort of surprised that this looks so nice.

• I cut my widest grosgrain ribbon about 1.5" (?) shorter than the width of the quilt to make a channel, folded it in half, and pinned it inside the sandwich between the two layers of ripstop. My layers were Apex > ripstop > grosgrain > ripstop. The edge of the ribbon lies against the edges of the fabric and Apex, the folded edge is towards the inside. At this point, the quilt is still inside out.
      • I cut 2 smaller pieces of grosgrain about 9.5" long, folded them in half, and pinned them in each corner between the two ripstop layers. The loop was on the inside so that when turned right side out, it would then be on the outside.
      • I carefully tucked the shock cord up in the quilt so I didn't accidentally sew it to the quilt.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

I decided to put a loop in each corner so I would have an alternate way to hang the UQ, just in case I screwed something up. I'm sort of surprised that this looks so nice.

• I cut my widest grosgrain ribbon about 1.5" (?) shorter than the width of the quilt to make a channel, folded it in half, and pinned it inside the sandwich between the two layers of ripstop. My layers were Apex > ripstop > grosgrain > ripstop. The edge of the ribbon lies against the edges of the fabric and Apex, the folded edge is towards the inside. At this point, the quilt is still inside out.
      • I cut 2 smaller pieces of grosgrain about 9.5" long, folded them in half, and pinned them in each corner between the two ripstop layers. The loop was on the inside so that when turned right side out, it would then be on the outside.
      • I carefully tucked the shock cord up in the quilt so I didn't accidentally sew it to the quilt.

looks good!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The dilemma was if I left a small section at the foot of the quilt open (to turn the quilt right side out), I wouldn't be able to sew the 4 layers together. Picture the sandwich. Ripstop > ribbon folded lengthwise with the raw edges pointing inward > Apex > ripstop. If the Apex gets sewn inside the ribbon channel, the channel will be occluded. I attempted to pin all 4 layers but it was nearly impossible to catch the Apex. My solution;
      • I pinned, then sewed the Apex to one layer of ripstop
      • Then I pinned the bottom layer of ripstop, the ribbon, and the top layer of ripstop with the edges of the ripstop folded over to make a neat hem.
      • I sewed the sandwich together with two rows of stitching to make sure I caught all the layers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• SandyofPA wrote:

It took me 4 down quilts before I was happy with my design and sewing. In the end it cost more than buying someone elses design, but I got exactly what I wanted. Now I know how to do it I may never make another one!
      And you got hours of enjoyment! I can buy most things for a lot cheaper than I make them but I can't buy the satisfaction and pleasure that I feel when I create something from my own hands.
    • Rather than start a whole new thread I picked a random thread in the Hammock section to ask this dumb question.

Does the underquilt go under you IN the hammock, or under the hammock?

I may get a chance (as in make time for a change) for a day or two out sniffing packs, and have a hammock I might give a whirl.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Rather than start a whole new thread I picked a random thread in the Hammock section to ask this dumb question.

I may get a chance (as in make time for a change) for a day or two out sniffing packs, and have a hammock I might give a whirl.
      It goes underneath the hammock, not in the hammock.
    • Thank you! Makes the most sense, but I had never really paid any attention to photos of hammock setups to notice. The lazy way (asking) was so much easier when it came to mind.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Rather than start a whole new thread I picked a random thread in the Hammock section to ask this dumb question.

It goes underneath the hammock, not in the hammock.
      lol, not a hanger, have no desire to be a hanger, but the obvious answer to me would be IN the hammock and ya sleep ON it for insulation. UNDER the hammock makes absolutely no sense.

you guys taught me something today.
      2,000 miler
    • I figure you have your sleeping bag in the hammock, and the UQ outside creates an air barrier/insulation similar to your pad on the ground. If you had it inside the hammock it wouldn't be any more useful than your bag under you. At least that was my thinking on it.
    • Obviously it's a system devised by a man so they can use all their knots and gadgets trying to figure out how to attach it to the hammock, making it more difficult in the process. :)

IMO, the most difficult part of hanging is figuring out how to attach the underquilt and tarp. I still haven't figured it out.
    • Grinder wrote:

I figure you have your sleeping bag in the hammock, and the UQ outside creates an air barrier/insulation similar to your pad on the ground. If you had it inside the hammock it wouldn't be any more useful than your bag under you. At least that was my thinking on it.
      Most hammock hangers use a top quilt instead of a sleeping bag as it's much easier to get in and out of while hanging and doesn't have the weight of a sleeping bag. The weight saved from the sleeping bag bottom is about what the bottom quilt weighs. From what I've seen the lightest hammock setups are about 2# heavier then the lightest ground setups for the same temperature range.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Obviously it's a system devised by a man so they can use all their knots and gadgets trying to figure out how to attach it to the hammock, making it more difficult in the process.
      Misandrist. :P
      dang, had to google that. now i've learned 2 things today.
      You're welcome.