Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thinsulate sleeping bag ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thinsulate sleeping bag ?

I was looking at down sleeping bags, and this Ozark Trails Thinsulate Sleeping bag came up in the search.

walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-0-D…ble-Sleeping-Bag/41474516

1) is it as warm as they claim ?

2) does it compress well ? ( better than fiberfill ? as good as down ? )

3) Anything else I should know about it ?

I have a coat and gloves with Thinsulate in them. They are nice and warm.

Thanks !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Did you check out the Specs? Ten pound shipping weight and the size, this is not for backpacking! If you want a real zero degree bag that compresses enough to carry well, I would be looking for 800 fill down. My Western Mountaineering was worth every dime of the $500 price a couple years ago.
    • JimBlue
      What temperature rating are you looking for?
      I wouldn't trust a $32 sleeping bag to keep me comfortable to zero degrees. Alive maybe, but comfortable? No.
      And the size of that one 15x15x16.5 inches would be cumbersome at best. Don't ask I how I know.
      When I first got into backpacking I didn't know enough when I bought my important items and so I'm on my 3rd three season bag. I could have saved a lot of money by buying my last one first. Good quality can be the best value even if it's not the lowest price.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• For me a sleeping bag is not a piece of equipment to skimp on. 10 lbs is way to heavy for backpacking! Polarguard & thinsulite are fine altough heavier than down. I loved my Feathered Friends Bag although I never got full value out of it since it got stolen. My go to bag for three season use is a TNF Cats Meow. Relatively chep & lightweight. Sleeping is to important to skimp on $$ wise. I have a TNF Watash 30 degree bag I'd be happy to loan to you till you can afford a decent one of your own. Or even sell it to you cheap. I picked it up when I unexpectedly needed one at work & mine were at home.

I look at sleeping bags as an ivestment that will last many years. High dollar ones last most people a lifetime. Mid range 10-15 years. Buy cheap & you will want to upgrade in a year or so.

PM me if interested in the spare bag I have.
    • Definitely something that shouldbe down if you intend to backpack. The only reason not to get down is if you expect it to get wet. In which case you should review your tent choice. Down is expensive but make the right chpices and care for them and they can last a lifetime. Divide the cost by the number of nights you expect to sleep in it and if the answer is less than $10 it's not expensive. For US conditions I think you need two bags. One a 30 to 40 degree bag and one a zero to 20 degree bag. Of course if you want to be a real winter hiker you may need to go to -20.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Definitely something that shouldbe down if you intend to backpack. The only reason not to get down is if you expect it to get wet. In which case you should review your tent choice. Down is expensive but make the right chpices and care for them and they can last a lifetime. Divide the cost by the number of nights you expect to sleep in it and if the answer is less than $10 it's not expensive. For US conditions I think you need two bags. One a 30 to 40 degree bag and one a zero to 20 degree bag. Of course if you want to be a real winter hiker you may need to go to -20.
      Excellent advice. :thumbup:
      Wise investments in your Big 4 to me are a key foundation for success. Investing in buying quality and saving weight here just continues to pay dividends over and over again.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I bought a TNF down bag back in the 1970s. It lasted for years. If I could find one I could afford... and $500 is way beyond what I can do. In about a year and a half, I can go back to work. Otherwise I have to deal with the government employees at the SSA. Not sure what an emploter would do with a 70 year old IT professional... probably have me sort letters. I do have my A+ Certification. I'm paying on a root canal and crown. Thats $200 per month.

Mummy bags don't work well with me as I toss and turn all night. The current bag I have weighs about 5 pounds, and has a more rectangular area at the shoulders.

I know I wont be able to do the AT anytime soon. At this point, the BMT might not happen either. I'll hike part of Pinhoti in the spring and see what my body can deal with.

So thats mainly what I am looking at. A lighter sleeping bag for spring and summer that can keep me warm if needed. I don't intend to be in snow or sleet. Of course, the weather does what it damn well pleases.
      --
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

For me a sleeping bag is not a piece of equipment to skimp on. 10 lbs is way to heavy for backpacking! Polarguard & thinsulite are fine altough heavier than down. I loved my Feathered Friends Bag although I never got full value out of it since it got stolen. My go to bag for three season use is a TNF Cats Meow. Relatively chep & lightweight. Sleeping is to important to skimp on $$ wise. I have a TNF Watash 30 degree bag I'd be happy to loan to you till you can afford a decent one of your own. Or even sell it to you cheap. I picked it up when I unexpectedly needed one at work & mine were at home.

I look at sleeping bags as an ivestment that will last many years. High dollar ones last most people a lifetime. Mid range 10-15 years. Buy cheap & you will want to upgrade in a year or so.

PM me if interested in the spare bag I have.

I looked up the specs. Let me think about it for a few days and I"ll let you know.
      --
    • Dmax wrote:

You need to also consider a quilt.....
      I have a London Fog quilt that I used last weekend at Cheaha... warm, but its a bit heavy. I presume you mean a down quilt.

I do have some cloth I can make a liner with, yards of the stuff. My sisters and I were going to make sf costumes, but so far we haven't decided on what yet.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Dmax wrote:

You need to also consider a quilt.....
      I have a London Fog quilt that I used last weekend at Cheaha... warm, but its a bit heavy. I presume you mean a down quilt.
      I do have some cloth I can make a liner with, yards of the stuff. My sisters and I were going to make sf costumes, but so far we haven't decided on what yet.
      My next bpacking purchase will be a synthetic quilt. Nothing wrong with down. I love my down bag.