Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking NH

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am starting to think about next year's walk. I did Maine in 2013. I am hoping to do New Hampshire in 2014. Not very aggressive, but within the budgeted time frame. I am thinking 2 weeks for the 160 miles. Any suggestions and insight would be appreciated.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Have you done the Mahosuc's. If you have Hanover- Gorham is 153 miles. If you haven't I'd Start in Glencliff & End at Grafton Notch. 131.7 miles.

Here is what I wrote for some potential thru hikers

Whites on a thru hike

Many thru hikers get frustrated with the AMC & hiking through the Whites. It is maintained by the AMC (Appalachian Mountain club). They run a chain of Huts along the AT along with many of the shelters & campsites & charge a fee for them. There are many camping restriction, such has no camping above tree line, within ¼ mile of huts or campground, etc. Consider it like GSNP. So many people the regulations are needed. Many hikers also resent the “tourist catering” huts.

So what do you do? First off. you can do it without staying in a hut. Doing it without staying at a charged shelter/tent site is hard but can be done even with the restrictions, just leave plenty of time to find a legal stealth site. The best source of these is the shelter caretakers & hut “Croo” whom often hike on their days off. Many are past or future thru hikers. Depending on how many hikers around you, you may be able to do work for stay. A lot will depend on your attitude. Don’t come in as the “Entitled thru hiker God/Goddess” If you do a good job they will often radio up a recommendation for your next stay. The one Hut I highly recommend is Lake of the Clouds. If you can’t do work for stay they also have the “Dungeon”. An old former storage room in what was a basement. If that fills up they may let you sleep on the tables.

There are many section of the trail that are above timberline. In bad weather it can be life threatening. I do like to hike linear but there are sections I would not want to miss if this is your one chance to hike in the area. You could lay up for a few days if bad weather sets in or shuttle around to less exposed section via the AMC shuttle. Here is a link to AMC http://www.outdoors.org/ A few more sites to look at are http://hikethewhites.com/ for great pics & other info along with the Randolph Mountain Club http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/ . They run cabins & shelters/ tent sites at north end of the Presidentials.

I do recommend carrying a larger scale map than just a strip map in case you have to bail or seek alternates. Once again the advice from the caretakers can be invaluable as they get weather reports every morning. There are many maps for the Whites. Here are some from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountains-Waterproof-Trail-Map/dp/1890060232/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384055239&sr=8-1&keywords=white+mountain%2C+nh+maps

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain-National-Forest-Appalachian/dp/1934028568/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384055239&sr=8-3&keywords=white+mountain%2C+nh+maps

A decent Google map with trails could suffice, just remember you will not be on the “AT” trail in much of the Whites. It goes by older names on the signs. I don’t think either current AT guides list them. I will in a future post after I make sure they are correct. Just stay aware & you should be good.

Also plan for about a 20% drop in mileage. Most due to the steep climbs & descents , but also places you can camp.

If you send me a PM with an email address I have the TI/ Nat Geo map in PDF from their mapping program I bought. Be happy to send them to you.
    • hikerboy wrote:

franconia ridge is perhaps the best stretch of the entire at if the weather is good.the carters are almost as good as the mahoosucs, and the presidentials are, well the presidentials.

Franconia Ridge was hands down the favorite of all of us on our Whites hike this summer. We enjoyed all the Whites immensely and, when it rained, just chose to bum around town and enjoy the low-life since the high-life was obscured by clouds and supremely uncomfortable in the rain.

We get to rehike this section since we were missing a member of our crew and I will hopefully get to visit a number of valley attractions that I missed last time due to having to work remotely while they hike (need my pto days to finish NH and Maine). Don't miss Chet's and Hiker's Welcome.
      You're doing it ALL wrong!!!
    • ChinMusic wrote:

I thought The Whites were tough, and then I got to Maine.
      the footing in maine is tough the whole friggin way. roots and rocks and bogs and 20ups and 20downs, and just when you hit a nice stretch of pine needles and open your stride, its more roots and rocks and bogs and 20ups and 20 downs. i loved maine, but then again, i hadnt hiked the 1800 miles leading up to it
      its all good
    • ChinMusic wrote:

I still find these sentiments surprising every time I read them. I am not disputing them. I hear it a lot. I don't find hiking in Maine tough. Of course that is the only place I hike. It is a great encouragement to hear this type on statement as I venture beyond the Maine border.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

ChinMusic wrote:

What made them tougher? The roots and rocks? Just curious. My husband and I spent about 8 days up there and only hiked about 20 some miles of the AT between Zealand Falls to Mt. Washington Summit. Webster Cliffs got my respect immediately. Were the climbs even steeper?

Still bummed we missed you by...hours. We went down Webster Cliffs and it was still hard. Plus we picked up a lost notch to notch hiker doing the whole section in one day. :ohmy: Needless to say he was a bit tired.
    • FarmerChef wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

ChinMusic wrote:

What made them tougher? The roots and rocks? Just curious. My husband and I spent about 8 days up there and only hiked about 20 some miles of the AT between Zealand Falls to Mt. Washington Summit. Webster Cliffs got my respect immediately. Were the climbs even steeper?

Still bummed we missed you by...hours. We went down Webster Cliffs and it was still hard. Plus we picked up a lost notch to notch hiker doing the whole section in one day. :ohmy: Needless to say he was a bit tired.

It was so funny when we got to that cooler by the railroad tracks and I saw the note on it from your group. I squealed and said "I know him! He's on WhiteBlaze!" The hubby just looked at me real puzzled-like, and said, "Do you know them?" and I was like, "well, yes and no, not really, but sort of"
    • TrainWreck wrote:

FarmerChef wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

ChinMusic wrote:

It was so funny when we got to that cooler by the railroad tracks and I saw the note on it from your group. I squealed and said "I know him! He's on WhiteBlaze!" The hubby just looked at me real puzzled-like, and said, "Do you know them?" and I was like, "well, yes and no, not really, but sort of"

Sorry, total thread hijack. When we bumped into Buddy Backpacker on this past hike it was the same thing. My kids looked at me puzzled as I said essentially the same thing. Too funny.

Back to speaking of the Whites...I love how in all the pictures above treeline scale is always distorted. All the little stunted trees look like full-grown trees but you can't really tell their only about a foot high unless there is an obvious item of reference nearby. Just the rocks, blazes and mini-trees always made me think there was this huge boulder or sheer cliff you had to climb. I had to giggle when I got there and realized it was essentially "normal" trail but with little Bonsai evergreens everywhere.
    • My tread and I approve of highjacking it. As such let me tell a totally unrelated story.

Ellie Luggah (my brother-in-law) and I met a all women trail crew near Long Pond Lean-to as we came off the Chairback Range. They were nice and warned us about the footing because of the construction. I wanted to say it didn't look much worse than much of the footing behind me. Instead, I told then I would go around because of the heat and lack of shower (we swam in Cloud Pond the night before but the smell returns fast).. The leader said not to worry and that they had not had a shower in a few days. We commenced to debate who smelled worse. I finally gave up and said, "sounds like someone wants a hug". That was enough for my brother-in-law. He lowered his head and headed for the lean-to. I said my good byes and followed.
    • BB; with the maps I sent you, most have a satalight duplicate. They are exactly the same as the maps. You could trace out the route on the trail map & lay it over the sat photo. Or just use the grid lines to apprimate where it is. I included them so you can see where the exposed section are above tree line.

Custom maps were originally plotted to print 24" x 36" but you can scale them to what you want.
    • grayblazer wrote:

The Willey House in Crawford Notch was run by my ancestors. If you have time, the hike up Mt Willey is awesome and steep with a good view of the Webster Cliffs and Mt Washington. My Dad, my son and I hiked up Mt Willey together in the 90's. Pretty cool. Three Willeys on Mt Willey.

That's really cool!
      We went up to NH for around 8 days back in August. We spent most of our time around Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch. I kept intending to go check out the Willey House but we ran out of time. Now I have to go see it when we go back up there.
    • Now tell the rest of the story about the original Willey house!

grayblazer wrote:

The Willey House in Crawford Notch was run by my ancestors. If you have time, the hike up Mt Willey is awesome and steep with a good view of the Webster Cliffs and Mt Washington. My Dad, my son and I hiked up Mt Willey together in the 90's. Pretty cool. Three Willeys on Mt Willey.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Now tell the rest of the story about the original Willey house!

grayblazer wrote:

Now here is the rest of the story ...

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nhcarrol/bios2/willey.htm
    • grayblazer wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Just finished reading the whole account. Wow. I had no idea.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Just finished reading the whole account. Wow. I had no idea.

Samuel Willey and family are obviously not my direct ancestors.
    • Thanks to MM, I have a framework for my SoBo NH AT walk. Over the next few months, I will be asking specific questions about sections of this walk. The first is about the Pinkham Notch area. I am reading on blogs that this is one of the most regulated and patrolled areas in the Whites. I do not know if this is true. It is just what I am reading. My plan calls for sleeping where just short of Pinkham Notch on the Maine side. I do not need to "camp". I just need to get water and crash. MM has made a suggestion here (which I will likely follow), but I am still unclear as to the rules and risk of being told to more on by an authority. Any suggestion (preferable detailed)?
    • LoboSolo wrote:

i've cowboy camped within 100 yards of the building. stealthing is easy in the whites

I expected the Niké slogan from you. It is likely the right approach. However, I am more risk averse than you. I am looking to do it legally if possible. It may be fine. I am not suggesting it is entirely illegal in that area. I have never done it and am getting conflicting information.
    • After more research, it appears I will be fine on the Maine side of Pinkham Notch. My concern was over the Cutler River Drainage area restrictions. I was reading that you could not sleep legally in the Lost Pond area because of the restrictions of this area. It appears that the restricted area is on the Mount Washington side of Pinkham Notch. I think as long as I follow the general rules (200 feet from trail, 1/4 mile from road, below tree line, etc) I should be fine. Am I reading this correctly?
    • CoachLou wrote:

34 years ago we walked down into the Great Gulf, day 2 we camped about a mile from Osgood, at least 198 feet from the trail.....this little 'Underdog' looking weasel ranger gave us a ticket and was fuming that we were even in HIS wilderness!

Six months later we went to SNP....what a difference...........the folks were friendly, helpful, made us even feel like it was OUR wilderness. I have only been back to Mt. Adams, from the Randolph side, once, in '98'.
      In 90, we went on a loop in the Pemigewassett, during a driving rain, that we had walked thru most of the day, We were treated to the same wonderful hospitality by the Galehead hut croo, and told we could not hang out on the porch, and we could walk down to 13 falls to camp.

In 91 I found Montana...................no issues.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

34 years ago we walked down into the Great Gulf, day 2 we camped about a mile from Osgood, at least 198 feet from the trail.....this little 'Underdog' looking weasel ranger gave us a ticket and was fuming that we were even in HIS wilderness!

Six months later we went to SNP....what a difference...........the folks were friendly, helpful, made us even feel like it was OUR wilderness. I have only been back to Mt. Adams, from the Randolph side, once, in '98'.
      In 90, we went on a loop in the Pemigewassett, during a driving rain, that we had walked thru most of the day, We were treated to the same wonderful hospitality by the Galehead hut croo, and told we could not hang out on the porch, and we could walk down to 13 falls to camp.

Yeah, but Montana has Grizzlies.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Yeah, but Montana has Grizzlies.

.yea, but they don't issue tickets for speeding or camping!

Years ago, the speed limit sign said " Reasonable and Prudent / 65 @ nite"
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: