Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking NH

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Okay, here is the scallop story. When I was 19 and during a layoff at BIW, I briefly shucked scallops to make a little money. I worked on the boat. I was paid a dollar per pound of meat that I could shuck.

I was told 3 things:
      1) I would be good when I could keep a shell in the air at all times as I shucked.
      2) I should bring extra knives, because I would start chucking them overboard with the shells as my speed increased.
      3) I could eat as much scallops as I wanted when I got hungry.

I thought all 3 things were silly. No way could I keep a shell in the air at all times, no way would I be chucking knives overboard, and no way was I eating raw scallops. Well, it was not long before all 3 came true. And I am dead serious when I say that raw scallops taste no different then cooked scallops. The difference in taste is not the scallop. The difference is what you add to the scallop. The scallop tastes exactly the same. The flavor is the same and the texture is the same. It is just cold and a little salty.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Astro wrote:

BB, I hope you get a picture of a bear roaming free, but as you see from Coach's pictures there is one waiting for you if you don't.

I visited my mother today. She told me about a nightmare she is having. She sees me being attacked by a bear. She asked me if I was done hiking this year. I felt like a bad son as I told her no. I better not get eaten by a bear next week. I don't want her mad at me.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

BB, I hope you get a picture of a bear roaming free, but as you see from Coach's pictures there is one waiting for you if you don't.

I visited my mother today. She told me about a nightmare she is having. She sees me being attacked by a bear. She asked me if I was done hiking this year. I felt like a bad son as I told her no. I better not get eaten by a bear next week. I don't want her mad at me.

You will be fine, just have your camera ready.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

You will be fine, just have your camera ready.

I sure hope so. My mother can be pretty mean and scary.
    • I am reading that the Cascade Brook Footbridge is out. The ATC is recommending starting at Lafayette Campground to avoid this section. So.... I guess I will take in Cannon after all. If I took the AT (which the ATC is advising not to do), it is 5.8 to the junction where I would meet if I went up over Cannon which is 6.0 miles to the said junction. It is about a mile less if I go the way the ATC is recommending. I do not mind taking parallel paths over hills as in the Presidentials, but I am not taking an easier path when I am forced off the AT. I would consider that cheating. I do not consider taking the harder path cheating. It is not my fault that the AT takes the wimpy path sometimes.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Last summer it was washed out, they had a reroute. it was just a little boulder hopping......how bad could it be......your from Maine for crimminy sakes!

You got me. Actually I was looking for an excuse to go over Cannon. I have to. They said it was not safe after a rainfall. We just had one. I am scared.

No reason to be scared
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Now that I am done with NH and Maine, I need a new signature. Where I am going is a little less aggressive. I was thinking something like "It was flat, it was easy, it was relaxing..... it was ugly". That would be logical, but too negative. Maybe "It was flat, it was easy, it was ugly..... it was rejuvenating".
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Now that I am done with NH and Maine, I need a new signature. Where I am going is a little less aggressive. I was thinking something like "It was flat, it was easy, it was relaxing..... it was ugly". That would be logical, but too negative. Maybe "It was flat, it was easy, it was ugly..... it was rejuvenating".

Why do you think the rest of the AT is ugly?

If so, save yourself the logistics costs and hassles and just keep hiking in Maine.
    • For many thrus the mid atlantic is a ...boaring ... part of the hike. It's not the trails fault. It's just you become jaded. There are so many great spots, but the push to make the miles is often on. IMHO thru hikers have it easyer than section hikers & yet they miss so much. I hold sction hikers in high esteem. They hike for a few weeks each year. When their muscles are fine tuned to what they are hiking they have to leave. Transportation costs are very high & it's hard to justify the expensive UL gear for a few weeks when it will get outdated before it wears out.
      Many thru-hikers feel like they are entitled. I say why? First come to shelters mean that. One time I had a hiker come into a crowded shelter & he stated we had to make room for him because he was a thru-hiker. The shelter was already beyound capacity, 10 in an 8 person. I asked what year he hiked? I then gave him some suggestions of tent site.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

For many thrus the mid atlantic is a ...boaring ... part of the hike. It's not the trails fault. It's just you become jaded. There are so many great spots, but the push to make the miles is often on. IMHO thru hikers have it easyer than section hikers & yet they miss so much. I hold sction hikers in high esteem. They hike for a few weeks each year. When their muscles are fine tuned to what they are hiking they have to leave. Transportation costs are very high & it's hard to justify the expensive UL gear for a few weeks when it will get outdated before it wears out.
      Many thru-hikers feel like they are entitled. I say why? First come to shelters mean that. One time I had a hiker come into a crowded shelter & he stated we had to make room for him because he was a thru-hiker. The shelter was already beyound capacity, 10 in an 8 person. I asked what year he hiked? I then gave him some suggestions of tent site.

MM, You hit on a lot of the same points Baltimore Jack did when I was talking to him this summer.
      BTW, nice to see you posting here at the Cafe again.
    • Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Now that I am done with NH and Maine, I need a new signature. Where I am going is a little less aggressive. I was thinking something like "It was flat, it was easy, it was relaxing..... it was ugly". That would be logical, but too negative. Maybe "It was flat, it was easy, it was ugly..... it was rejuvenating".

Why do you think the rest of the AT is ugly?

If so, save yourself the logistics costs and hassles and just keep hiking in Maine.

I do not think it is ugly. I am jesting. I find myself looking more at the trail where there is no view. I am fascinated by all the different mushrooms. I get to see more wildlife. The trail is more relaxing. Believe me, I think it is all beautiful. It really was just a joke on my current signature.
    • It's funny how we all have a different perspective based on where we hike the most. I'm mostly in the woods with few views. I love walking in the forests when the trees are in full leaf and trying to spot the critters hiding in the undergrowth. I'm amazed at the pictures y'all post of the open and rocky mountains.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Julie (my current hiking partner) and I hiked up Mt. Garfield yesterday (Sunday 9/14.) Forecast had been for a high of 60 degrees in N. Woodstock. It was 42 degrees when we arrived at the Garfield trailhead. All the summits were socked in. I wore shorts, base layer top and bottom, hat and gloves. Julie was feeling tired and low-energy and ran out of steam just before the junction with the AT. We've both climbed Garfield several times in the past, so we know what the view is like on a good day -- awesome. But not today. There were plenty of folks on the trail. A troop of boy scouts had spent the night at the shelter/campsite. There was some kind of dog-lovers club all hiking with their dogs, but they were moving slowly and we passed them within the first few minutes (thank goodness.)

Heading back home at around 3 PM, we had clear skies -- anywhere south of the mountains, that is.

it was 40 degrees at 7AM this morning in Bedford MA. Summer is over. Sad...
    • Astro wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

For many thrus the mid atlantic is a ...boaring ... part of the hike. It's not the trails fault. It's just you become jaded. There are so many great spots, but the push to make the miles is often on. IMHO thru hikers have it easyer than section hikers & yet they miss so much. I hold sction hikers in high esteem. They hike for a few weeks each year. When their muscles are fine tuned to what they are hiking they have to leave. Transportation costs are very high & it's hard to justify the expensive UL gear for a few weeks when it will get outdated before it wears out.

MM, You hit on a lot of the same points Baltimore Jack did when I was talking to him this summer.
      BTW, nice to see you posting here at the Cafe again.

MM is always spot on with his comments. I always take note of what he says. He was a great help on my walk across NH. I am gaining a new perspective about the thru though. I agree with all you say about them MM. At Bill's, SoBo Hobo made me show him my gear. As I went through all my tinkerings, it struck me that the thru cannot do what I am doing. They have to make do or make what adjustments they can on the fly. I saw a young man with a tarp setup similar to what I went into the 100-mile wilderness with. I believe he had made it from Baxter with it so far. I got rid of mine in Monson. His pack weighed 40lbs. Mine weighed 29lbs with a heavy camera in it. I get to fiddle and shave grams. They have to lug it or toss it or hopefully trade it in if there is a place close enough to the trail to allow for that. Dakota Joe comes to mind. I have so much respect for what he did. I don't have to hike like he did with his heavy gear. Again, I agree with all MM says. The thru's are a different sort (many of them) and the obstacles he/you list are spot on. However, I would not trade places with them. I like the way I get to hike and tinker. I just hope I get to travel further next year and do it in one block.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Interesting post -- I can relate. I did the AT bass-ackwards, like I do many things in life. So the mid-Atlantic part is the part I did last. I wouldn't say it was boring, really. It was a refreshing change of pace from New England, inasmuch as it was close to civilization (almost everywhere) with frequent town stops and decent food. One can actually have enough of wilderness or quasi-wilderness. PA, Maryland and northern VA were "refreshingly different" from the other 1500 miles of the AT. I mostly had a good time of it.

I don't worry much about gear getting outdated. I'm still using the gear I acquired for my last long AT section in '07, and unless it breaks or wears out, I see no reason to replace or upgrade any of it. Earlier this summer I was afraid I'd need to ditch my old Leki poles. But I finally found an EMS store that had the replacement pole tips in stock so they've got a new lease on life.

As for the physical conditioning part, it is true... that's an advantage of thru-hiking for sure (not to mention the logistical issues.) Being semi-retired now, I'm spending more time outdoors, doing more weekend hikes... not confined to a cubicle 9-5, five days a week. That helps!