Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking NH

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Not sure. When it comes to lobster, if I didn't kill it, I ain't eating it. WOO is the reason I am taking the breakfast I am. You are the reason I am taking the supper I am. I prefer tortilla though.

interesting. i did not respond to your question of how to improve on your peanut butter tortilla supper because my attempt to eat cold on my thru was a total failure. i don't mind eating cold oatmeal or cereal for breakfast. i don't mind eating pbj for lunch. but i totally missed having a hot supper. i mailed my stove a couple weeks ahead in new england as an experiment and i was very happy when i caught up to it.

i will be interested in your evaluation of breakfast. i don't eat a lot of bacon for health reasons, but i love the taste of hot, crispy bacon. the thot of eating pre-cooked room temperature bacon does not sound appetizing to me at all. although if i never try it i'll never know.

Well that was wierd. I was trying to edit an earlier post and it created this one.

Anywho.... You talked about your lunch choice elsewhere. That shows up on Google searches.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

It won't let me put in 12 hours of hiking. Only allows for 2.5 hours.

i suspect that is a marketing driven limitation. if the calculator says you need 6 quarts...and the camelbak only holds 3...then why would anyone buy the thing?

They want you to buy 2.

Or 3 :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

here ya go birdbrain...this is right up your alley.

camelbak.com/HydrationCalculator

BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

here ya go birdbrain...this is right up your alley.

camelbak.com/HydrationCalculator

It won't let me put in 12 hours of hiking. Only allows for 2.5 hours. Also, I thought it was going to peg before it hit my age. It told me what I knew. I don't drink enough. However, I think I drink more than most (water that is). The calculator is a good information tool. I believe very very few people properly hydrate on the trail. I try, but it is hard when you are changing thousands of feet in elevation and there is not water source for many miles.

Just add one of these to your gear, link into your smart phone and the work is done for you. Maybe it will tell you what to eat and when.
      ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp…ryId=46285296&ab=ombanner
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I am back from my 3 day trek across the Pemi. This one took a lot out of me. I got the 12 4000'ers along the way. I barely survived the 1st day. Thank you Shellie Shuttle. Will update later
      Display Spoiler
      And eventually post what people really want. Pictures.

so? we're waiting.

Okay, let me start you off with the views from 4 of the peaks over 4000'.

Galehead - 4024'

North Twin - 4761'

Zealand - 4260'

Bond - 4698'

Bond normally has a view. It did not while I was there.
    • Okay. Here are pictures of views from the other 4000'ers.

Flume - 4328'

Liberty - 4459'

Lincoln - 5089'

Lafayette - 5260'

Garfield - 4500'

South Twin - 4902'

West Bond - 4540'

Bondcliff - 4265'

Those that have been there will recognize the views. If anyone is curious, I can describe what is in any particular picture.

I will do a report later. Bed and a busy day tomorrow are calling.

• I had a bear encounter... I think.

I started my hike from the Lincoln Woods Visitor Center. The sign was posted there. I quizzed a few hikers about bear activity. Some said the bears were getting very bold in the area and that a tentsite was closed down because of aggressive bears. They could not recall which one. I had intended to stealth at Garfield Pond. But given what I was hearing, I pushed on to Garfield Ridge Campsite. This made for a 14.6 mile day over 5 major peaks.

When I arrived the caretaker was just arriving too. He gave us a speech about how active the bears were and that one aggressive one had been frequenting the site often. He advised us to put everything that had any scent that the bear might be curious about into the bear boxes. I did.

In the middle of the night a noise woke me up. I sleep with earplugs. There was so much commotion going on outside my tent, I could hear it with the plugs in. I listened for a while. Then something nudged my tent a couple times. I unzipped my sleeping bag, got my light and camera, unzipped my tent, and went outside for a look. By the time I got outside, the disturber was gone. I climbed back in and put my earplugs back in my ears.

The next morning, the guy that was on the tent platform with me asked if I heard anything in the night. I told him my encounter. He said whatever it was woke him up several times. We speculated.

When I arrived at Guyot Campsite, there was an ongoing discussion about bear activity at Garfield Ridge Campsite. Hikers were talking about an aggressive bear that kept going in the caretakers tent. They told stories about food being stolen and things knocked around. I wondered more. I wish I had been able to get a picture of whatever was bugging us at Garfield.
    • hikerboy wrote:

bears have been active in an around the pemigewasset wilderness for a long time. last year at liberty springs,a bear ripped into someones tent and stole their food bag, with the occupant inside at the time. the hiker wasnt hurt, but had to replace his tent(and food).

What you express is the reality of the black bear. They are not interested in you. They just want what you have. They are a big dumb dog looking for a Scooby snack. If I saw one up close, my heart would be pounding. I am not Daniel Boone. However, I do understand the realities. The black bear is not a Tasmanian Devil that wants to shred me. He just wants my tasty food. He would rather get it miles away from me. I was not scared when I unzipped my tent. I was hoping to get a picture of Yogi as he lumbered off. I don't want my tent wrecked or food stolen. Those things are possibilities. I don't fear getting dismembered as some do. They are big animals that could take me in seconds, but for some reason are scared of me. They are stealth thieves hoping to grab my food and run off to enjoy it away from me. The fact that they are scared of me so far has kept me from getting a picture of them.

Stupid bears.... I want a picture.
    • Trip report:

Rather than do the usual stuff, I am going to just express a thought I had during my 3 day walk. I could give the blow by blow account as I usually do. It would contain the obvious. The up over Flume, down over Lafayette, all of Garfield, and the up over South Twin were tough. There was nice walking in spots too. The AMC is a pain. And I had great weather and fun. However, let me expound on something else.

It struck me as I made this trek that much of what I was doing was like life. The climb to the mountain top experience was sometimes difficult. The mountain top experience was breathtaking, but fleeting. I could never stay as long as I wished I could. The descent off the mountain tops were often painful. It was tempting in the valley to wonder about the next mountain top experience. But I noticed a few things in the valley. Which is what prompts this "summary".

In the valley it is quiet. The wind howls up top. It almost wants to knock you down. As I was walking the stretch between Garfield and Galehead, I started noticing these things. As I walked all I could hear was a part on my pack's suspension creaking and the vitamin I rattling in the container in a side pocket. I was walking on a soft carpet. Even my sticks were not making a sound. I have a screeching in my head that follows my heart rate because of multiple concussions. But on my walks it disappears. It was so peaceful to be totally alone in my thoughts. I started longing for a long walk on easy terrain with no distractions or noise. The mountains tops and all that are involved require commotion and often pain. We struggle to get to the top and are soon going down the painful descent. If we could only be content in the peaceful valleys. Life is less complex there. It can be lonely. It can be boring. It can be peaceful.

I am not sure if this makes sense to others. It has been a while since I have had and easy quiet valley walking. I found myself almost wishing for a little rain too. It was a time to think, relax, and reflect.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

Trip report:

Rather than do the usual stuff, I am going to just express a thought I had during my 3 day walk. I could give the blow by blow account as I usually do. It would contain the obvious. The up over Flume, down over Lafayette, all of Garfield, and the up over South Twin were tough. There was nice walking in spots too. The AMC is a pain. And I had great weather and fun. However, let me expound on something else.

It struck me as I made this trek that much of what I was doing was like life. The climb to the mountain top experience was sometimes difficult. The mountain top experience was breathtaking, but fleeting. I could never stay as long as I wished I could. The descent off the mountain tops were often painful. It was tempting in the valley to wonder about the next mountain top experience. But I noticed a few things in the valley. Which is what prompts this "summary".

In the valley it is quiet. The wind howls up top. It almost wants to knock you down. As I was walking the stretch between Garfield and Galehead, I started noticing these things. As I walked all I could hear was a part on my pack's suspension creaking and the vitamin I rattling in the container in a side pocket. I was walking on a soft carpet. Even my sticks were not making a sound. I have a screeching in my head that follows my heart rate because of multiple concussions. But on my walks it disappears. It was so peaceful to be totally alone in my thoughts. I started longing for a long walk on easy terrain with no distractions or noise. The mountains tops and all that are involved require commotion and often pain. We struggle to get to the top and are soon going down the painful descent. If we could only be content in the peaceful valleys. Life is less complex there. It can be lonely. It can be boring. It can be peaceful.

I am not sure if this makes sense to others. It has been a while since I have had and easy quiet valley walking. I found myself almost wishing for a little rain too. It was a time to think, relax, and reflect.

Thank you, this is beautiful...and this is the reason I hike.
      Lost in the right direction.

• This is a view from Little Haystack. It is of my remaining obstacles. Moosilauke is the big one on the left and the Kinsmans are closer on the right. I am watching the weather and am going to make a run for the Vermont border when it looks advantageous. I am facing a dilemma. I am feeling the pull of the New England 67 4000' peak list. I have done 20 of the 22 highest peaks and 38 of the 67 overall. I will pick up 3 more on my next walk. I was tempted to go get Cannon nearby, but will just stay on the AT for this final stretch. I have the winter to think about it. Either way, Carrigain and Owl's Head are going to be a shakedown hikes next year.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Let us know how PB&J tortillas go. I was only joking about forgetting the jelly.

The jelly worked great.

I have decided to go stoveless on short trips, but bring it on longer trips. A stoveless day involves about 1.75lbs of food. Bringing a stove, my food is down to around 1.3 lbs per day. I just packed 7 days of food (minus the 1st breakfast and last supper) and it came up to 8 lbs 2 oz. I don't go hungry either. I still need to add VIA and NUUN, but that wont add much. It is all about balance between, calorie and protein densities. Not sure how people even get to 2 lbs per day. I guess they like the freedom of not planning. They are free to carry the extra weight.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I may try it if I find some jelly in small containers.

Pill ziplocks work great. You can fit enough for 2 wraps in 1 ziplock. I made 2 wraps for supper. I used one Jiff To Go container per wrap and half a pill ziplock of jelly per wrap.

walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Dispos…ll-Pouches-50-Ct/10318648

walmart.com/ip/JIF-Creamy-To-Go-Peanut-Butter-8ct/15556216
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I would much rather have fuel or water leak in my pack than something sweet and sticky. Maybe pill bottles?

Too heavy. If your food is in your food bag and if there is air trapped in said food bag via rolling the top, the odds of a spill approaches zero. I store my poptarts this way and none have ever been damaged. I have secondary container protection on the pill ziplocks. They are in a snack ziplock.