Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking NH

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

if i understood you perfectly i still wouldn't know what a "dooryard" is. until i googled it. which i just did.

CoachLou wrote:

I need the Maine definition? What is a dooryard?

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dooryard

It ain't no garden. We don't put gardens out front. Google is from away.

Yea Buddy......the Maine definition! :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Prior to hiking the Moriah Carter Range, I had a working plan to hike the Presidentials in 2 days. The down off Wildcat E has made me rethink that plan. I was going to slack pack to top from Pinkham Notch and ride down in a car on day one. Day 2, I was going to ride the cog up and slack pack down to Crawford Notch. I no longer think day 2 is viable. I do not want to get caught in the dark coming down Webster Cliffs. Instead, I am considering slack packing to top and pushing on to the Dungeon after getting my sleeping gear from my wife at the top. That way I can get an earlier start and only face 11 miles down. Day one would be long but a few things should make it manageable. I would need no pack until the auto road. I could travel very light and get water at Osgood, Madison, and the Loop Trail near the top. I could eat snacks at the auto road and at Madison. I would swap packs at the top and head the 1.5 miles to the Dungeon. Day one would be similar to what I did in Baxter for delta elevation changes and I would be travelling lighter. It would be slightly longer.

Any Opinions?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Okay... maybe I asked to broad of a question. I am mostly concerned about the availability of a place to sleep. I was not impress with how the discussion at Carter Notch went. I am not saying they were rude or unreasonable. I just felt like I was being a bother to them. Getting information was difficult. I started the conversation by stating I had never seen a hut before and that I had a couple questions. Before I could ask anything, a croo answered the water is here and the bathroom is up there. Then she turned and walked away. I thanked her for the information. I figured I was interrupting a busy time, so I got the water and used the bathroom. I came back again and waited until no one else but workers were around. I walked in and waited for an opening. Finally another croo looked at me. I said the same thing. I said I had never been in a hut and had a couple questions. This guy looks at the rest of the workers and says to them, I will handle this. He then shuts the door to their bunkroom where the rest of them were, leaving just me and him in the room. I had a lot of questions but limited it to just food. I figured I was not on good terms and it would be best if I ask a simple question and move on. I asked if food was available for sale to hikers passing through. He said the food was made for the paying guests and that breakfast was not planned for people not staying at the huts. I said I understood that it was not made for people like me, but that I had heard various versions of how leftovers were handled. He said after 8:30 the extras were put out for sale. I looked at the clock. It was after 8:30. I asked how much would things cost. He looked at the clock and put things out and pointed at one of 5 baskets and said one of those is a dollar. I said that I would take one. I bought it and left. I really don't know what I did. I would have accepted any answer they gave me. I wanted to ask about the soup I had heard about and the availability of lodging if one was stuck at high elevation, etc. The only thing I can figure is that they thought I stealthed close to the hut without asking or something because of my early arrival. I slept legally near the top of Mt Hight.

Blah, blah, blah.... Anyways... If I go to the dungeon late in the day with no tent is there a chance they will turn me away? Would they do something like that? A person could die out there with no shelter. I have heard that they will allow people to sleep on tables for the same price if the dungeon is full or require a person to pay full price if there is room in the hut. Both would be reasonable terms compared to being forced outside without a shelter.
    • "In great spirits, almost floating, I headed for Wildcat E and the 2 steep downs."

As Kathy and I hiked sobo through the Wildcats people kept asking us if we were going to go down with the dog. That would be our present shepherd, Tora. When we got to the edge and looked over we decided against it. We walked back to the top ski lift station and followed the ski trails down to the road. One of these days we'll go back and pick up that piece of the AT that we skipped.
    • LIhikers wrote:

"In great spirits, almost floating, I headed for Wildcat E and the 2 steep downs."

As Kathy and I hiked sobo through the Wildcats people kept asking us if we were going to go down with the dog. That would be our present shepherd, Tora. When we got to the edge and looked over we decided against it. We walked back to the top ski lift station and followed the ski trails down to the road. One of these days we'll go back and pick up that piece of the AT that we skipped.

It is a good thing you bailed on the 1st steep down. The 2nd one is much worse. The 1st one was almost encouraging. I knew I was dropping elevation fast. That meant it would be over quick. The second one wiped me out. I think going down the wrong boulder is what did its toll. I got half way down this thing and realized I was in trouble. I could not go back. I could not make it to the bottom without jumping. I could not get my pack off without falling. I tossed my poles as a test. One of them kept going. I knew that could be me. I went as far as I could and when I lost all grip, I slid and jumped to a small dirt patch that held. If it did not, I would likely not be typing this now. It took me at least 20 minutes to get me and my stray pole back on the right trail. Then I had to face the rest of the real down. What I just described might seem like a stupid choice on my part. You would have to see the trail. At the beginning of my wrong turn, it looked right. It looked stupid absurd steep with little to hold on to, but right.

If you go back and get this section, you might want to hike up and take the gondolas down. I am told this is hit or miss, but there were a pile of people doing just that the day I went down this section.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• Beautiful day walking yesterday. The clouds came in during my last 2 miles. I had plenty of views until the summit. When I got to the top, there was a line 50 deep. The approach takes you into the few near the marker. I said excuse me, excuse me, excuse as I barged through. I touched the marker, thanked those posing, and said they were now free to talk a picture of the fog. I will upload a few pictures after church.

• Let me get the whining out of the way 1st. My MCL on my left knee hurt pretty bad between the auto road and Osgood Tentsite. By the time I got to the tree line of Madison everything was loose and well lubed. I have 4 sore toes now. My legs feel good. Now, with that out of the way....

My wife dropped me off at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center at 6 AM. The plan was for me to be at Mt Washington by 6 PM. If I could not make it, I would bail early down one of 2 trails and meet her at the Chandler Brook Trail on the auto road.

The walk to the auto road was steeper than the profiles indicated. The down to Osgood seemed to go on forever. I do not think the map profiles are right for this area. I filled my water bottles at the tent site and chatted with a few NoBo's. I gave them advice about the area they were headed into. One person said to me that the Madison down was much worse than the Webster Cliff up. I thought 'oh no'.

I figured if the up was that bad, it would be right to stow my poles. Half way up a steady, but manageable trail, I took them back out. Before I could wonder where the tough part was, the ground under my feet started to level off a bit. I was thinking that this up was pretty easy. I was making good time and picking up steed. Then the trees disappear and the wind and rocks appeared. It was a cold balancing act getting over Madison and to the hut below. I arrived at 11:30. The rock climb was much more difficult than the steep up.

At Madison I walked into the hut to get water. As I looked for instructions about water availability in the hut, a nice middle aged lady came over to me and asked me if I needed anything. I had decided ahead of time I would just get water and move on. I could not help but notice the spread of baskets. She looked at me some more and asked if I would like some soup. I said that the stuff in the baskets looked good and that I would not be staying long enough for soup. She said that the stuff in baskets had prices in front of them and that it was a self serve honor system. She smiled. I thanked her. She turned around as I reached into a basket as if to give me privacy in my decisions. I selected $3 worth of stuff and reached into my JJ wallet to pay. I had a $20, a $5, and 3 $1's. I paused to think of what others do. Some probably tip. Others probably steal and say it was optional to pay. I had a twinge to drop the $20 in. I almost put the $5 in. I was still pissed at other dealings with the AMC and only put $3 in. I ended up sitting down and listening to others ask questions.

After hearing that it normally takes 4 to 4.5 hours to get to Mt Washington (if you don't take in Adams and Jefferson), I headed out. It was noon. I figured if 4 to 4.5 was normal, I would have enough time even going over the 2 side peaks. Adams was beautiful. It was my favorite of the walk. The views up there were the best I had seen to date. At 5774' it is the 2nd highest peak in New England. I lingered a it until my schedule pulled at me to move on. At the base, I took a wrong turn. I went down Lowe's instead of Gulf side. In that boulder field it is easy to get confused. That cost me 0.1 miles. No harm.

The walk down to Edmond's Col was a bit easier. It was approaching 1:30. I had covered about 2.7 miles in 1.5 hours by going over Adams. This left around 4 miles to get to Washington via Jefferson. The views and the quarts boulders kept stopping me in my tracks. Even so, I was actually passing a few people. Normally people pass me left and right.

Jefferson was my least favorite of the day. The trail takes you between to spires. I looked at the right one. Then I looked at the left one. I still not sure which is the peak. I suspect it was the left one. There were so many people there, I could not get near whatever they were huddled around.

Coming off Jefferson I saw a sign that said 2.8 miles to Washington. I did not look at my clock. I was feeling great and knew I was well ahead of schedule. I could see the clouds coming and pressed on. I should have stopped and drank some water and ate some gorp. I am continually making this mistake. I am very aware of my energy and water needs throughout the day. However, I am continually ignoring those needs when I am almost there.

With a mile to go it hit me. My calorie stores were gone again. I felt like I did after coming off Wildcat E. The problem was that I had a 1 mile up ahead of me instead of a 1 mile walk around a pond like I did going to the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. I dropped my pack, downed a bottle of water, and ate some gorp. It was discouraging to hear the trains go by me in the clouds and keep going for what seemed like forever. Soon I could see the tower and then the observation deck and then the line to the peak. As I approached this line I said excuse me, excuse me, excuse as I barged through. I touched the marker, thanked those posing, and said they were now free to talk a picture of the fog.

I ended up arriving at 4:45. That made just over 14 miles and about 9300' in ups and downs in under just 11 hours (including numerous admiring breaks). Now I have the other side to do.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• Washington from the top of Osgood

Adams and Madison from the end of Osgood

Washington, Clay, and Adams from Madison

Adams and beyond and a hut

Clay and Jefferson from Adams

Looking back at Adams

Looking back at Jefferson

Adams and Madison across the Great Gulf

• I forgot to mention a fun meeting I had. 4 guys were coming down the Jewell Trail about a mile from the top. I heard them in the thick fog. One of them said it was like a scene out of "gorillas in the mist". Just then we saw each other. He asked how I was doing. I asked who he was calling a gorilla. We all laughed. That's just me being a BirdBrain and saying whatever comes to mind.
    • Just watched a video on a Presidential Traverse. The Crawford Notch side looks so much easier. I know Webster Cliffs won't be "easy". However, the rest looks good. It does not look like a boulder field like the Pinkham Notch side. Can't wait. Looking for a good weather day on the weekend.
    • My wife dropped me off at the Crawford Notch trailhead at 6 AM. We figured no bail out plan was needed for this walk and that she would just meet me at the top around 3 PM. She headed to Gorham to find Wi-Fi and I headed up the Webster Cliffs.

I found the up to Webster Mountain to be manageable. Other than stopping to take a picture here and there, I trudged right up without stopping. It is steep in areas, but is broken up by less steep areas. There is no shortage of stealth spots in this section. Honestly, after doing the Presidentials, I see little need for many stealth spots. The short of it is that the distance between the Perch and Crawford Notch is very doable. The section between the Perch and Pinkham Notch is manageable too. I have a few ailments and am not as tuned as a thru would be by this section and I would have little difficulty hiking across those distances. More on that later.

The weather forecast predicted an increasing possibility of rain as the day wore on. Although the views from the cliffs kept tugging at me, I tried to move on quickly. Once I got away from the cliffs, the trail turned very friendly. It had been a while since I walked on a real path. Much of the walk between Webster Cliffs and Franklin is on a real path. I was feeling good and making time.

In no time I was over Jackson and looking at the hut and Pierce beyond. When I arrived at Mizpah Hut it was a little before 10 AM. By the time I got done playing with the Whiskey Jacks it was just after 10. I bought a couple cookies, filled my water bottles, and did some rough math. 4 hours had passed and I had covered 6.4 miles. I figured I had about 6.3 miles to go including Blue Blazes over Eisenhower and Monroe.

The up over Pierce slowed me down a bit. The up over Eisenhower looked daunting, but was actually easier than Pierce. The views from Eisenhower were incredible. I lingered as long as I dared and pushed on for Franklin and Monroe beyond. It was so nice walking on a real path.

As I approached the summit of Monroe, the happy feeling started to disappear. I was back in the boulder field. The views from Monroe were as breathtaking as they were from Eisenhower. I told a woman at the top that I was running out of words to describe the views. She agreed.

Next it was down to the Lake of the Crowds. After passing the two huts of the day, my feelings about them are more solidified than ever. The woman at Madison was very nice, but she appears to be not the norm. I saw these people being very nice to people who were shelling out over $100, but people like me were in the way. I just wanted water and to buy a snack. I will be glad to be beyond these creature comforts.

I made a point to hydrate and eat gorp as I left the country club in the sky. This seemed to help as I was 0.6 miles from the summit before I started seriously slowing down. I arrived at 2:45 and with much more energy than I had after my trip up to Washington last week.

In searching the net for advice on this area, I noticed more than one person asking if NoBo or SoBo was easier up to Washington. I never saw a solid opinion. People would parse and talk of the nuances of the 2 sides. Let me declare that the Crawford side is infinitely easier than the Pinkham side. I don't see it as even close. You actually get to walk on a path for much of the Crawford side. The Pinkham side is a boulder field. I did the Pinkham side at about 1.28 mph. I did the Crawford side at about 1.47 miles per hour. Having said this, Adams remains my favorite.

I now set my sights on Crawford to Franconia. I am told the walking over there is similar to much of todays walking. I can hardly wait.

The post was edited 3 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• Just once in my life I'd like to come down Mt Washington in the direction of where my car (or my pickup) is. I've done it three times, and all three times I've wound up escaping in an unplanned direction due to bad weather. Fortunately, the hitching is easy. Drivers there are used to stranded hikers.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.
      ive done it both ways but do franconia to crawford. its a bit tougher than sobo, but more dramatic, and the views are the best in the whites . still my favorite stretch, ill have to get up there and do it again soon. done it three times nobo, and once sobo.

Prior to this comment, I was positive I was doing it SoBo. However, what you say makes a lot of sense. It would also make the weather for the Franconia section over Lafayette more predictable. I don't like that word tougher though. I am looking for the roller blazing sections. Maybe even Segway blazing.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.
      ive done it both ways but do franconia to crawford. its a bit tougher than sobo, but more dramatic, and the views are the best in the whites . still my favorite stretch, ill have to get up there and do it again soon. done it three times nobo, and once sobo.

Prior to this comment, I was positive I was doing it SoBo. However, what you say makes a lot of sense. It would also make the weather for the Franconia section over Lafayette more predictable. I don't like that word tougher though. I am looking for the roller blazing sections. Maybe even Segway blazing.

I'm almost positive they installed an escalator sobo on Garcia.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.

its no more difficult than anything else you've already done.going up liberty and garfield are steep. the footing for the most part is typical whites, but there is indeed a "path" over lincoln and lafayette. it is a highly trafficked section. after the twins, coming down to ethan pond trail into the pemi is just awesome.
      its all good
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.

remind me- which president was garcia?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.

remind me- which president was garcia?

He was between the old white guy and the older white guy in the frat house picture.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.

its no more difficult than anything else you've already done.going up liberty and garfield are steep. the footing for the most part is typical whites, but there is indeed a "path" over lincoln and lafayette. it is a highly trafficked section. after the twins, coming down to ethan pond trail into the pemi is just awesome.

i have thought that I would want to trudge up the north side of Lafayette and getting to the top with the view of franconia notch and cannon, and The kinsmans. Camping at Liberty Springs and bailing out in the Morning. I have walked thru the Pemi, long ago. We were nocked off the AT ridgeline because of heavy rain. We exited thru 13 Falls. The croo at Galehead would not let us ride it out on the porch!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

nice report bb.

I will be knocking 12 more 4000'ers off my list during this 3 day walk. Beyond the obvious ones on or very near the path, I will be doing Flume, Liberty, North Twin, and the 3 Bonds.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Just once in my life I'd like to come down Mt Washington in the direction of where my car (or my pickup) is. I've done it three times, and all three times I've wound up escaping in an unplanned direction due to bad weather. Fortunately, the hitching is easy. Drivers there are used to stranded hikers.

Note to self: don't hike with AnotherKevin in the Whites. :D
      Sorry, I just had to say it.
      The Catskills for sure, the Whites, I don't know...