Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking NH

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Next question:

How concerned should I be about weather on top of Mount Washington. I am not asking about rain or lightning. These, I am familiar with. However, these temperature numbers look ominous:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

I think I am fine on my torso. I could use advice on good pants for this. The coldest weather I experienced going across Maine was in a drizzly and high winds on top of Avery. I kept moving and was fine. Any thought and/or pants advice?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

34 years ago we walked down into the Great Gulf, day 2 we camped about a mile from Osgood, at least 198 feet from the trail.....this little 'Underdog' looking weasel ranger gave us a ticket and was fuming that we were even in HIS wilderness!

Six months later we went to SNP....what a difference...........the folks were friendly, helpful, made us even feel like it was OUR wilderness. I have only been back to Mt. Adams, from the Randolph side, once, in '98'.
      In 90, we went on a loop in the Pemigewassett, during a driving rain, that we had walked thru most of the day, We were treated to the same wonderful hospitality by the Galehead hut croo, and told we could not hang out on the porch, and we could walk down to 13 falls to camp.

In 91 I found Montana...................no issues.

Yeah, but Montana has Grizzlies.

.yea, but they don't issue tickets for speeding or camping!

Years ago, the speed limit sign said " Reasonable and Prudent / 65 @ nite"

Found one!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

I will have the advantage of being able to go on a drop of the hat. I will watch weather forecast and head into Gorham and head south. Likely July. Would be at the Perch on day 3 and going by the summit on day 4. Should not be anything real scary. I hiked in shorts across Maine and only wore my wind pants 2 or 3 times for about a half hour at a time. Thinking I need a slight upgrade? My wind pants are very thin Niké things I bought at Salvation Army for $1.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

I will have the advantage of being able to go on a drop of the hat. I will watch weather forecast and head into Gorham and head south. Likely July. Would be at the Perch on day 3 and going by the summit on day 4. Should not be anything real scary. I hiked in shorts across Maine and only wore my wind pants 2 or 3 times for about a half hour at a time. Thinking I need a slight upgrade? My wind pants are very thin Niké things I bought at Salvation Army for $1.

BB, I have Crawford to Pinkham in my plan for July......not sure nobo or sobo, or when in July! :unsure:
    • CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

BB, I have Crawford to Pinkham in my plan for July......not sure nobo or sobo, or when in July! :unsure:

Can I talk you into Gorham to Vermont SoBo?
    • CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

if all goes well i should be in that area end of july/1st week of august.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

if all goes well i should be in that area end of july/1st week of august.

I am liking the sound of this. Maybe I will finally get to meet some of you PoHo's.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

I walked Franconia to Hanover last July August...................but Crawford to Franconia could be done. I will also say that if I manage to go the week of my birthday, I was going to treat myself to a nite in a hut!

......I only have 2 weeks a year....and one is always in the USVI!
    • CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

when you going?

I walked Franconia to Hanover last July August...................but Crawford to Franconia could be done. I will also say that if I manage to go the week of my birthday, I was going to treat myself to a nite in a hut!

......I only have 2 weeks a year....and one is always in the USVI!

PM sent.
    • CoachLou wrote:

[

Found one!
      [/quote]

Reminds me of my youngest son when he was 3 telling me he wanted to move back to Germany because he could drive as fast as he wanted on the autobahn. :ohmy:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

[

Found one!

Reminds me of my youngest son when he was 3 telling me he wanted to move back to Germany because he could drive as fast as he wanted on the autobahn. :ohmy:[/quote]
      I remember that too. As long as you weren't zig-zagging they didn't even look at you twice. 100mph was just cruising. You'd still be getting passed. It depends on the vehicle too. You wouldn't want to drive a Ford Tempo that fast, you'd be hanging on for dear life as it shook violently shook apart.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

[

Found one!

Reminds me of my youngest son when he was 3 telling me he wanted to move back to Germany because he could drive as fast as he wanted on the autobahn. :ohmy:

I remember that too. As long as you weren't zig-zagging they didn't even look at you twice. 100mph was just cruising. You'd still be getting passed. It depends on the vehicle too. You wouldn't want to drive a Ford Tempo that fast, you'd be hanging on for dear life as it shook violently shook apart.[/quote]

If you had a Ford Pinto you probably wished you could drive that fast, just to make sure nobody bumped you in the rear.
    • milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

[

Found one!

I remember that too. As long as you weren't zig-zagging they didn't even look at you twice. 100mph was just cruising. You'd still be getting passed. It depends on the vehicle too. You wouldn't want to drive a Ford Tempo that fast, you'd be hanging on for dear life as it shook violently shook apart.[/quote]

I was on the interstate once, east of Butte, cruisin' about 85. I hear this whistling getting louder....................all of a sudden this GMC Turbo diesel whatever pick-up screams by me like I was in reverse. It was pulling a horse trailer that was longer than the truck................crazy cowboys! :ohmy:
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Next question:

How concerned should I be about weather on top of Mount Washington. I am not asking about rain or lightning. These, I am familiar with. However, these temperature numbers look ominous:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

I think I am fine on my torso. I could use advice on good pants for this. The coldest weather I experienced going across Maine was in a drizzly and high winds on top of Avery. I kept moving and was fine. Any thought and/or pants advice?

It is pretty weird. You'll be hiking along and you hit the treeline and there will be a sign that reads something like "Warning: The area ahead has the worst weather in the world. People have died. If the weather looks bad turn back now!" When I went in July the weather was great.

There is a snack bar on top of Mt. Washington where you can get a hot meal and pack out some food/snacks for later.

There is a sign (or used to be) at the top that list the people who wandered off, got caught in a storm or whatever and died. I think people are listed for every month of the year.

We walked up from our base camp at the treeline and back down that afternoon. Great time-great memories.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I'd lean toward rain pants. If you have to cross the ridge in blowing rain you will want them. 50 mph pretty common in summer. Even if it's something like these you may only use once.http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77701

I'm partial to chaps for wind and rain.........you can stay better ventilated.
      I had a link to a cuben fiber set........I can't find it now :angry:
    • Re:Re: Hiking NH

CoachLou wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I'd lean toward rain pants. If you have to cross the ridge in blowing rain you will want them. 50 mph pretty common in summer. Even if it's something like these you may only use once.http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77701

ZPACKS?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • CoachLou wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Chaps? I guess you have spent so much time in Montana now you think you are a cowboy.

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

ZPACKS?

Not them, but maybe a review on another hiking web site??????? :pinch:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

ZPACKS?

I guess I will be mooning the cog train. I ain't looking over there.

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

ZPACKS?

NO NO...not there....one was in backpacking light and the other was view from abovexxxthe topxxx up therexxx whatever

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

ZPACKS?

gif.002
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.