Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

An Epic Adventure of Self

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Well, I do have a brother Joey. And a cousin Freddie.....
      probably have a cousin Roseanne too
      and cousin Festus?
      defily some Maria's in there somewhere, never met an I talian family that didn't.
      like an Irish family without a sean
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

...and my middle name is Anthony.

How to go hiking so much

No children, steady IT job, I live in Colorado so I can drive 3-4 hours at the most and be somewhere cool. Plus i think the wife likes it when I am out of the house. :D

PMAG

True story: I applied for a SysAdmin job there a while back when they were still in Colorado. Never heard back. Would be funny to say Paul Mags worked for PMag.... ;)
    • PaulMags wrote:

Rasty wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

How to go hiking so much

No children, steady IT job, I live in Colorado so I can drive 3-4 hours at the most and be somewhere cool. Plus i think the wife likes it when I am out of the house. :D

PMAG

True story: I applied for a SysAdmin job there a while back when they were still in Colorado. Never heard back. Would be funny to say Paul Mags worked for PMag.... ;)
      I assume you also have no high maintenance pets. I've had 4 cats and 2 ultra high energy dogs for years now. It really screws up the logistics of just escaping for the weekend.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I have no job, no pets and live less than 10 miles from a great section of the Bib Track.
      Unfortunately until my wife stops working (probably just under 2 years from now), I can't go hiking because I have a house to maintain (and 13 or 14 acres with it). I console myself by trying to get my knee to stop hurting.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • PaulMags wrote:

Rasty wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

How to go hiking so much

PMAG

Well in a way I'd say you still do...or Mrs Mags now that you're married. :D
    • JimBlue wrote:

I do think Sy, the uncle, has a brain issue. Anyone who claims he went 7 days no sleep, is screwy.

Most I ever accomplished in the Navy was about 40-45 hours no sleep. One of the guys went 70-75 hours no sleep and he was hallucinating. Working around high voltage, that is not a ood idea. We got him to go get some sleep.
      My personal best is 82 hours. Myself and Tim Gorham, from Maine (Cornish, not Gorham), had to rebuild a pump at sea during Iraq, Act I. It was a drain pump for the evaporator so yes the showers were secured. We didn't have the parts, but there was an identical pump up forward in the sanitary (i.e. dookie) system so we cannibalized it for parts. Because of the nature of that pump the two of us were the only two allowed showers.

Our Chief wrote himself a NAM for us rebuilding the pump, imagine that... Anyway, yes, delirium set in there towards the end and adding delirium into the already twisted mind of a dude on a submarine is not necessarily the greatest thing to have happen, lol.

As for the DD crowd, the dad has a Master's.

Speaking of education; Paulie, tell your buddy Lawton that the green couch has been taken out of Lehotsky.....
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

SarcasmtheElf wrote:

I assume you also have no high maintenance pets. I've had 4 cats and 2 ultra high energy dogs for years now. It really screws up the logistics of just escaping for the weekend.

A 7 year old guinea pig and a 16 year old cat. The wife does not like getting out as much as I do.. However, when we do take off together (such as next week over Thanksgiving), we know a person who feeds both pets and plays with them a bit. Less expensive than a kennel, too!
    • I have no idea what a NAM might be.

Someone, it wasn't me, posted a small card in two places on the ship. It listed how many box tops each officer rank cost. The Captain was Not Amused[tm]. They never figured out who it was, but I did, at the time, have some educated guesses.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Ah, okay. Our destroyer squadron got a Meritorious Unit Commendation. My shipmates and I felt it was just something to make us feel good about not going home for Christmas from the Mediterranian Sea. Jordan had been invaded by another Arab country in 1970. It was long over by the time we got there. Supposedly we had been added to an aircraft carrier group to evacuate civilians.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.