Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cotton Kills Via Mags

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In the southwest, like the Grand Canyon the rangers actually recommend a cotton T-shirt in the summer months so you soak it in water to help stay cool. On the AT and the east coast in general cotton is a no no.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Years ago a few of us hiked from Pinkham Notch to Hermit Lake shelters on Thanksgiving night. It was bitter cold but a windless night so it didn't feel cold at all, at least while hiking. I was warm and comfy, and had a cotton tee shirt over a synthetic base layer. Probably some kind of nylon shell over that.

When we were settling in at the shelter I started peeling off layers to get into my bag. When I reached for my tee shirt a few minutes later, it was stiff as a board. Kind of funny.
    • In my profile picture, I'm wearing mostly cotton. I didn't die. It's nice and comfy for a day trip in dry weather. The trip in question was a loop hike with lots of scrambling that never got more than a couple of miles from a big campground, on a bluebird day in hot weather. I was even wearing cotton shorts, because I didn't want to wreck my nylon ones on the sandstone when using the "old French climbing move of rumpâge" - butt-sliding off a rock on a steep scramble. That sandstone is abrasive.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I made it all the way to the rank of Eagle in a troop that camped year round. I think the only non-cotton items I used during my 8 years in the troop were winter socks, wool pants, and maybe a wool sweater and jacket. Everything else was cotton, even my longjohns (that's what we called base layers back when they didn't cost $200 a set) and my non winter socks, blue jeans were also king.

I died twice, but we had earned first aid merit badge so I got better.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • rafe wrote:

and had a cotton tee shirt over a synthetic base layer. Probably some kind of nylon shell over that.

When we were settling in at the shelter I started peeling off layers to get into my bag. When I reached for my tee shirt a few minutes later, it was stiff as a board. Kind of funny.

In my article, I mentioned how old-school loving people swear by cotton anoraks for very cold and dry conditions (NH in the winter certainly qualifies!). The cotton is highly breathable so the sweat escapes and actually keeps you drier. Just shake off the ice.. Fluffy snow does not stick.

See this website for more info..one of my favorites:
      wintertrekking.com/clothing/outerlayers/

There is no way I'd use cotton long undies now-a-days for anything active. Some cheap polypro or similar can be bought in Wally world for not much more than cotton ones.

I have some cotton-wool blend long undies I somehow acquired. Wore them once or twice in the bitter cold -10F days we had in Boulder last year. But getting groceries is a lot different than x-country skiing. :)

I remember shoveling the driveway with my Dad oh.when I was about 16 during a snowstorm. Wet, heavy Rhode Island coastal snow. I wore my blue jeans, cotton long undies, a warm but cotton based coat and a cotton sweat shirt. Dad was clad similar. Probably fine for going to get groceries or even standing outside waiting if it was cold AND dry.

We were both very cold and wet by the end however. I did not know any better. I suspect I'd be dressed differently for the non-wild, but very active,cold and wet conditions I was in. If we did not have a house and warm clothes to change into, it would not have been a good thing!
    • PaulMags wrote:

There is no way I'd use cotton long undies now-a-days for anything active. Some cheap polypro or similar can be bought in Wally world for not much more than cotton ones.
      Yeah. The Champion C9 stuff that they sell at Target is actually pretty good (be careful to buy the 100% synthetic, there's also cotton-poly stuff with the same brand). I've never found the more expensive stuff to be worth 4x the price, which seems to be what it goes for around here.

Your Mileage May Vary.
    • Yeah, I remember Boy Scout camping... no floor no mosquito screening tents. We had lots of cotton. Jeans, t-shirts, and socks.

Wood tripod cooking setups. Stopped using them about 1965. 'Leave it better than you found it' was the motto then, evidently morphed into 'LNT'.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Yeah. The Champion C9 stuff that they sell at Target is actually pretty good (be careful to buy the 100% synthetic, there's also cotton-poly stuff with the same brand). I've never found the more expensive stuff to be worth 4x the price, which seems to be what it goes for around here.
      Your Mileage May Vary.
      I think Mags covers that in his Dirtbagging article on his site.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I made it all the way to the rank of Eagle in a troop that camped year round. I think the only non-cotton items I used during my 8 years in the troop were winter socks, wool pants, and maybe a wool sweater and jacket. Everything else was cotton, even my longjohns (that's what we called base layers back when they didn't cost $200 a set) and my non winter socks, blue jeans were also king.

I died twice, but we had earned first aid merit badge so I got better.
      I should also say that my while my troop did extensive base camping/hiking and car camping year round, we did very little true backpacking. This made the extra weight of wet cotton and spare clothes much less of an issue.

I still bring cotton with me on occasion when backpacking, but only for shorter trips and if I do I have a non-cotton backup pair of the same clothing with me as well. That said, for bushwacking through dense brush on a dry day, my Carhart canvas pants are hard to beat.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Yeah, I remember Boy Scout camping... no floor no mosquito screening tents. We had lots of cotton. Jeans, t-shirts, and socks.

Wood tripod cooking setups. Stopped using them about 1965. 'Leave it better than you found it' was the motto then, evidently morphed into 'LNT'.
      I help with several local troops. You would not be pleased with what passes for camping. Most Scouts now use huge tents complete with vestibules, propane powered cook stoves, camp chairs and tables, and of course multiple electronic devices.

Backpacking? Not by a long shot. Scouts complain when forced to carry their outdoor living rooms a few hundred meters from the troop cargo trailers ( caravans for the Aussies) . I scheduled a two mile backpacking trip for one night and had only three scouts participate. Fortunately a parent was willing to accompany me or the trip would've cancelled.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • socks wrote:

I don't cotton to cotton socks, it's the one thing I refuse to wear anymore, worsted invention ever.
      At least 70% merino wool content for me year round. The comfort and wear properties of merino are far superior to cotton.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Bizzare. While we didn't backpack much, we went all over the camp area. As an example, we camped south of a new flood control lake going in. We walked around for 2-3 hours on Saturday. Walked over a mile from camp, looked around at the cacti, the birds, insects, the rocks, and walked back. Scoutmaster said, 'Have fun ?'. Yes sir!

Then I taught knife and axe safety to the kids that needed their Tot' N Chip card. Then we fixed super by patrols. Had a campfire, sang some songs. Told stories. Got some sleep.

While we did make things, like tin cam stoves out of number 10 restaurant cans, we didn't construct much.

I remember one Scout leader who did drive his air conditioned camper, generator run, to camp outs. But he had a medical condition that required he keep cool in the summer or he would die.

Propane... uh, no. Wait, Hello no ! Maybe for Scouts and family cookouts. Otherwise, no. I do remember us talking about backpack stoves about 1973. Weren't happy with the idea, but I did eventually get one.

The troops we made fun of were the ones who always used Coleman propane 2 burner stoves. I camped in Maryland, Texas, Georgia, California, and MIssisippi with Scout troops.

I remember when they started cutting back on camping, hiking, and cooking outdoors over an open fire requirements. Sad, very sad. I realize cooking over a wood fire had to go... but the rest. No way.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I still bring cotton with me on occasion when backpacking, but only for shorter trips and if I do I have a non-cotton backup pair of the same clothing with me as well. That said, for bushwacking through dense brush on a dry day, my Carhart canvas pants are hard to beat.

Yup. You realize that canvas is supposed to be hemp, rather than cotton? ('Canvas' and 'cannabis' are the same word in Arabic.)