Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Short trip on the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Short trip on the AT

9/21/2015
      Finding myself with a few extra days off I decided to spend a little time on a solo hike on the AT.I woke up early Monday morning and made the hour and a half drive to the Blood Mountain Wilderness area.On the drive up I realized it was a little cooler in the mountains than I expected.Istopped at Mountain Crossings and bought a heavier long sleeve shirt.While there I browsed the new packs and some other equipment that’s on my wish list.Soon thereafter I made my way to Tennestee Gap, arriving at about 9:20 am or so.Temperatures were in the low 60’s and it was foggy.
      I began the hike heading North up and out of the Gap.Soon I passed through Hog Pen Gap and crossed the roadway.Heading up the mountain I ran into a hunter dressed in all camo and carrying a old recurve bow.We spoke for a while and he mentioned that he made the bow himself when he was a teenager.He said he saw a doe earlier but “let it walk”.Continuing North I was enjoying the cool morning but could of done without the heavy fog.Sometime later I came into contact with another hiker, headed south.He said he had been at Low Gap shelter last night doing trail maintenance in the area for the last two days. He was loaded down with his gear plus tools.I thanked him for his work and we parted ways.
      I got to Low Gap shelter around 12:30.I made lunch and took a short nap.As I was preparing to leave two women showed up.A woman in her 40’s and her Aunt in her 60’s.They were section hikingGeorgia a few days at a time.The younger woman tended to a nasty blister on her foot.I gave her some duct tape to help hold the mole skin in place.Around this time a group of 5 guys showed up.They were loud and obnoxious from the get-go.They seemed to be inexperienced and had a northern type of attitude and accents.They asked lots of questions about bears and seemed nervous about the possibility of seeing one. My pack was leaning against a pole and one of the guys decided he wanted to lean against it so he pushed my pack over to get it out of his way.Being greatly outnumbered I decided not to make an issue about it and decided to leave.For a considerable distance I could hear those guys talking.
      I continued North and ran into another hiker.He advised that there was no water for the next several miles.Not wanting to carry a large the amount of water needed for the rest of the day, then overnight, breakfast, and the return hike I decided to cut my millage short and make camp about 3 miles north of Low Gap. Found a nice spot off trail, put up my hammock and gathered wood for a camp fire.
      Slept great in my hammock despite an overnight rain shower. Woke up in the morning just before sunrise.Made breakfast and packed up my gear.I headed South and before long I was passing back past Low Gap Shelter.Sure enough I could hear that same group of guys talking loudly, clanking pots together, and just being loud and obnoxious again.Remembering how nervous they were about bears I decided to get a little revenge.Knowing they could hear me I began to yelling “wo bear, get out of herebear” over and over while clanking my trekking poles together.Then rolling a nice size rock down the hill toward them.There was complete silence after that.I walked away feeling content that my revenge had worked.
      The remainder of the hike back to where my truck was parked was uneventful but pleasant.Looking forward to my next solo hike……..
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

9/21/2015
      Finding myself with a few extra days off I decided to spend a little time on a solo hike on the AT.I woke up early Monday morning and made the hour and a half drive to the Blood Mountain Wilderness area.On the drive up I realized it was a little cooler in the mountains than I expected.Istopped at Mountain Crossings and bought a heavier long sleeve shirt.While there I browsed the new packs and some other equipment that’s on my wish list.Soon thereafter I made my way to Tennestee Gap, arriving at about 9:20 am or so.Temperatures were in the low 60’s and it was foggy.
      I began the hike heading North up and out of the Gap.Soon I passed through Hog Pen Gap and crossed the roadway.Heading up the mountain I ran into a hunter dressed in all camo and carrying a old recurve bow.We spoke for a while and he mentioned that he made the bow himself when he was a teenager.He said he saw a doe earlier but “let it walk”.Continuing North I was enjoying the cool morning but could of done without the heavy fog.Sometime later I came into contact with another hiker, headed south.He said he had been at Low Gap shelter last night doing trail maintenance in the area for the last two days. He was loaded down with his gear plus tools.I thanked him for his work and we parted ways.
      I got to Low Gap shelter around 12:30.I made lunch and took a short nap.As I was preparing to leave two women showed up.A woman in her 40’s and her Aunt in her 60’s.They were section hikingGeorgia a few days at a time.The younger woman tended to a nasty blister on her foot.I gave her some duct tape to help hold the mole skin in place.Around this time a group of 5 guys showed up.They were loud and obnoxious from the get-go.They seemed to be inexperienced and had a northern type of attitude and accents.They asked lots of questions about bears and seemed nervous about the possibility of seeing one. My pack was leaning against a pole and one of the guys decided he wanted to lean against it so he pushed my pack over to get it out of his way.Being greatly outnumbered I decided not to make an issue about it and decided to leave.For a considerable distance I could hear those guys talking.
      I continued North and ran into another hiker.He advised that there was no water for the next several miles.Not wanting to carry a large the amount of water needed for the rest of the day, then overnight, breakfast, and the return hike I decided to cut my millage short and make camp about 3 miles north of Low Gap. Found a nice spot off trail, put up my hammock and gathered wood for a camp fire.
      Slept great in my hammock despite an overnight rain shower. Woke up in the morning just before sunrise.Made breakfast and packed up my gear.I headed South and before long I was passing back past Low Gap Shelter.Sure enough I could hear that same group of guys talking loudly, clanking pots together, and just being loud and obnoxious again.Remembering how nervous they were about bears I decided to get a little revenge.Knowing they could hear me I began to yelling “wo bear, get out of herebear” over and over while clanking my trekking poles together.Then rolling a nice size rock down the hill toward them.There was complete silence after that.I walked away feeling content that my revenge had worked.
      The remainder of the hike back to where my truck was parked was uneventful but pleasant.Looking forward to my next solo hike……..
      Them damn Yankee northerners !!
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Trebor wrote:

9/21/2015
      Them damn Yankee northerners !!
      yep, them dam northerners are everywhere! :D
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

I grew up on the Old Rich People side of I-95, but seem to remember a lot more orange groves and rednecks at the time.
      Was it still a Spanish colony then?
      Hey now, I am may be old, but even I am not near that old.
      I got the impression it won't be long until it is again.....
      :whistling:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Trebor wrote:

9/21/2015
      That revenge was sweet as hell! Nice one!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Trebor wrote:

9/21/2015
      That revenge was sweet as hell! Nice one!
      I like it, goot one!

Oh baby oh baby oh baby oh...also works sometimes. :D