Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

myog backpack ? 80-85 L

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• myog backpack ? 80-85 L

Well, my siblings finally told me I tossed my old 5200 cu.in. backpack, not given it away. Sigh, sometimes they just need to tell me what happened, and not go along with misrememberings.

Anyway.

I would like to build a replacement. 5200 cu.in. or about 80-85 liters.

2 side pockets each side. horizontally divided interior, map pocket on flap, and a outside pocket on the side away from the shoulder straps. hip belt and straps. I prefer aluminum frame and clovis pins. Not concerned with hip belt pocket unless you think its a good idea.

Since my Alps Mountaineering Zion packframe does extend slightly, could I use that ? It holds a 3900 cu. in. backpack, with about 4 inches of room at the bottom.

I've used a sewing machine a little bit. My siblings would probably help. They have been sewing for years. Of course, the one that lives hundreds of miles away is the one who is the expert.

Cost... that could be a show stopper. But then, I don't have to make it all at once.

Thanks !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • 80 - 85 litres is a big pack. Are you sure you need all that room? It sounds like you are talking about an external frame pack. I would think you could re-use that frame. Packs are hard to make, lits of pieces. I have made one internal frame pack. I got my materials from Quest Outfitters- I bought the G4 kit and then sort of made a old style Mariposa out of the materials.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Yeah, I know its lots of bits... I'll try something easier first. Like gaters.

I have packed my 3900 cu.in. external frame pack. It barely has enough room for my gear and 3 days of food. The tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad will have to go on the outside. I kept what I put in the pack to the minimum.

The top loop of the frame extends... about 1.5 niches. Not very much.

So this frame wouldn't have the room for a 5200 cu.in pack.

I don't see any frames on Quest's site.

I have seen a 5100 cu.in pack, internal frame, for under $100. Shipping makes it about what I paid for my current backpack $110. Evidently I didn't boomark the site for this backpack.
      --
    • There are lots of pack patterns on the web, but finding one for an external frame may not be too easy. I did see a build somewhere where a guy made one with a wooden frame, and I've seen others using different types of plastic plumbing pipe, and I've seen a few using carbon fiber. Surf around on backpackinglight and you'll find them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • just a few random comments.

if your stuff barely fits in a 3900 cubic inch pack with tent and sleeping bag lashed to the outside maybe you are carrying too much stuff. or carrying stuff that is "big" and smaller options are available. perhaps posting a detailed gear list would be useful.

if you want an external like you used to use keep checking ebay. old externals are always there. maybe you'll get lucky and find one that was used once and they decided they didn't like backpacking.

not that am recommending them, but dicks has some huge internals; 85 and 110 liter. to be clear, not recommending them but just pointing them out as information.

i much much much prefer externals but those days are gone. i've gone over to the dark side and now use an internal.
      2,000 miler
    • Hmmm. I wrote on paper what I packed. In several instances it is less than I would have taken in the past. So I'll tyupe that list up and post it.

I could take the packages of soup mix and put them in smaller containers. I bought some slider lock sandwich and quart plastic bags today.

The sleeping bag is what I could afford. fiber fill instead of down. Same with the tent. 7'x7' dome with a floor, rain fly, and netting.
      --
    • Here is the list. No spare pants in there yet, could likely fit them in. Some spare volume in the lower inside main pocket, and one of the outside pockets. This is for a car camping meet and greet. No cans if I was hiking. Wind was lifting out the tent pegs, in the backyard, that came iwth the tent. So I bought some of those large nail-type tent pegs about 10 inches long. They fit in the mesh pocket where the fuel bottle and tent poles are. Points up so I don't puncture the backpack. Hammer, 16 ounce, to put in and take out pegs.

MH Spaghetti 2.5 servings; MH Chili mac 2.5 servings; MH beef stew 1 serving; peanut and cashew snacks, about 8 ounces; 2 cans soup, 8 ounce; 1 bottle instant breakfast; 1 pound can mixed nuts; 10 snack bars, about 1.2 ounces each; box of 4 packets of chicken noodle soup; 1 box beefy soup; 6 beef broth cubes.

MSR whisperlite stove package; MSR fuel bottle, white gas; fuel funnel; plastic flatware, Ozark Trails; 22 ounce metal cooker with 2 green plastic cups; hot pad

small coleman lantern, 4 AA batteries; small Ozark Trails flashlight; yellow automotive type flashlight, has a light bar and a spot. Uses 6 AAA batteries.

Sawyer Mini filter and 16 ounce container; 32 ounce Sawyer water bottle with filter;

Mt. Gander 7'x7' dome tent with separate rain fly; 6 long tent pegs; small Coleman tent repair kit; tent poles

1st aid kit with scissors;
      TP 2 rolls
      TP dispenser with 1 roll
      ( small Coleman rolls)
      anti-chafe powder, 2 ounces
      pen and small 3"x5" notepad
      tiny whistle came with first aid kit
      six 3 gallon trash bags
      sun screen, 8 ounce
      foot balm, 6 ounce
      biodegradable soap, 2 ounce
      4 pair underware and 3 pair socks
      long sleeve shirt
      rain pants and coat
      pliers
      Kleenex, small 3 pk
      small umbrella, originally fits lawn chair, can clamp onto backpack frame
      1 pair warm gloves
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I could take the packages of soup mix and put them in smaller containers. I bought some slider lock sandwich and quart plastic bags today.
      Suggest when utilizing slider lock sandwich bags, place several into gallon size freezer bags to guard against spillage.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Suggest when utilizing slider lock sandwich bags, place several into gallon size freezer bags to guard against spillage.
      I have quart ones to put the smaller ones in. And some regular nylon cord lock bags to put those in.
      --
    • Amazon is selling the Teton Sports Fox5200 for $90 with free shipping. Torso length of 15.5 to 23 inches. I've done all the non-food spending I can do until after Thanksgiving.

Maybe I just need to get involved in the red neck's retirement plan, the lotto.
      --
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I don't trus sliders. Had to many fail. Regular ones very rarely fail for me.
      But the sliders are nice for trash bags.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • JimBlue wrote:

I saw on an AT video someone using a large rubber mallet... it weighed more than a regular claw hammer. With my luck, one or mroe of the tent pegs would get stuck. The claw hammer will solve that.
      Maybe I have just been lucky picking tent sites, but I have hiked 1448 miles on the AT and hundreds on other trails, and have never needed a hammer.

Of course my tent is freestanding so I could still get by without the stakes if I had too like I did on the rocks at Fingerboard in NY this summer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I saw on an AT video someone using a large rubber mallet... it weighed more than a regular claw hammer. With my luck, one or mroe of the tent pegs would get stuck. The claw hammer will solve that.
      Maybe I have just been lucky picking tent sites, but I have hiked 1448 miles on the AT and hundreds on other trails, and have never needed a hammer.
      Of course my tent is freestanding so I could still get by without the stakes if I had too like I did on the rocks at Fingerboard in NY this summer.
      I've never had a problem either. I wiggle them around and gently pull on them with the guy line.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • i normally don't comment on gear lists becasue i've never taken the time to create one of my own and therefore don't feel comfortable commenting on others. i've made an exception here.

JimBlue wrote:

Here is the list. No spare pants in there yet, could likely fit them in. Some spare volume in the lower inside main pocket, and one of the outside pockets. This is for a car camping meet and greet. No cans if I was hiking. Wind was lifting out the tent pegs, in the backyard, that came iwth the tent. So I bought some of those large nail-type tent pegs about 10 inches long. They fit in the mesh pocket where the fuel bottle and tent poles are. Points up so I don't puncture the backpack. Hammer, 16 ounce, to put in and take out pegs.

HAMMER. REALLY?

MH Spaghetti 2.5 servings; MH Chili mac 2.5 servings; MH beef stew 1 serving; peanut and cashew snacks, about 8 ounces; 2 cans soup, 8 ounce; 1 bottle instant breakfast; 1 pound can mixed nuts; 10 snack bars, about 1.2 ounces each; box of 4 packets of chicken noodle soup; 1 box beefy soup; 6 beef broth cubes.

MSR whisperlite stove package; MSR fuel bottle, white gas; fuel funnel; plastic flatware, Ozark Trails; 22 ounce metal cooker with 2 green plastic cups; hot pad

ALL YOU NEED IS ONE POT WITH A LID AND YOU'LL SHAVE THAT 22 OUNCES IN HALF. ONLY NEED ONE CUP. STORE YOUR STOVE IN YOUR POT TO SAVE SPACE.

small coleman lantern, 4 AA batteries; small Ozark Trails flashlight; yellow automotive type flashlight, has a light bar and a spot. Uses 6 AAA batteries.

ONE HEADLAMP.

Sawyer Mini filter and 16 ounce container; 32 ounce Sawyer water bottle with filter;

ONE FILTER. OR USE CHEMICALS INSTEAD.

Mt. Gander 7'x7' dome tent with separate rain fly; 6 long tent pegs; small Coleman tent repair kit; tent poles

1st aid kit with scissors;
      TP 2 rolls
      TP dispenser with 1 roll
      ( small Coleman rolls)

PARTIAL ROLL OF TP. WHAT IS A DISPENSER?

anti-chafe powder, 2 ounces
      pen and small 3"x5" notepad
      tiny whistle came with first aid kit
      six 3 gallon trash bags

ONE TRASH BAG IS SUFFICIENT

sun screen, 8 ounce

MANY PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU YOU DON'T NEED THIS IN THE GREEN TUNNEL. HAVING GROWN UP IN FLORIDA, AND LIVING MY LIFE OUTSIDE, I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WANT TO BRING IT. I'M SURE MY DERMATOLOGIST WOULD BAN ME FROM THE OUTDOORS IF SHE HAD THE POWER TO DO SO.

foot balm, 6 ounce
      biodegradable soap, 2 ounce
      4 pair underware and 3 pair socks

THATS AT LEAST 2 PAIR OF UNDERWEAR TOO MANY. I WEAR SWIMSUIT TYPE SHORTS THAT HAVE A BUILT IN POUCH; NO UNDERWEAR NEEDED. I ONLY NEED UNDERWEAR WITH MY LONG PANTS IN WINTER.

long sleeve shirt
      rain pants and coat
      pliers

NO

Kleenex, small 3 pk

USE TOILET PAPER

small umbrella, originally fits lawn chair, can clamp onto backpack frame

EVERYBODY TAKES SOMETHING THAT OTHER HIKERS THINK IS STUPID. THIS CAN BE YOUR STUPID ITEM ASSUMING YOU CAN HANDLE THE WEIGHT AND HAVE THE SPACE FOR IT.

1 pair warm gloves
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• The dispenser is a small plastic thing that came with the 3 rolls of tp. It weighs about 1 ounce. The metal cooker is a quantity measurement, not a weight measure. I burn and peel. I'll be in a state park later this month, not on the AT. Next year, if the guidebook ever gets here, will be the BMT journey.

I like to wear clean undies. Think of it as a ... problem. My first trip out to sea aboard ship, one of the evaporaters went down. So no showers or clean clothes for 2 months. No, I'm not kidding.

The Kleenex weighs about 2 ounces, I'm using it to cushion a few items. And I have a pair of warm gloves and a knit cap.
      --
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I don't trus sliders. Had to many fail. Regular ones very rarely fail for me.
      New ones in the store 'double sliders' I bought a package to try them out.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Thanks Dmax !

Fits okay. I'll adjust it more as I work on fitting it to me. I think I can fit my stuff into it. :D
      It should hold must of your stuff :D

I've got an older Jansport that I use for winter trips. That bottom compartment on the bag works great for a sleeping bag. Just lay your pack down and put a trash bag in it. Then stuff your sleepingbag into it and zip it up.

To fit the pack to your back fill it full or a little fuller than you would normally carry. Then go from there. There's lots of adjustments you can make on that pack.

Glad to hear the only thing you found was Hawaiian punch. :)
    • Filled it up. Sort of followed my list... mostly just tossed things into it. I like the water bottle holder.

Didn't get the sleeping pad, sleeping bag, nor tent in/on it. Need to adjust the shoulder straps more.

Thing weighs 33 pounds total. I thought it must weigh 50 ! Well, I have some trimming to do. But next weekend will be car camping with a possible hike. So I'll take the Alps backpack and carry water, snacks, rain coat, and flashlight. Likely wear the coat, gloves and, knit cap. Darn getting old, but better than the alternative.
      --
    • I decided to put my food in a separate bag lots of room left in the Jansport.

I left both my tents outside this week, both leak towards the back. Not raining this weekend... I'll take seam sealer with me in case. The root canal has mostly stopped hurting... jaw muscle and gums were stretched and it still twinges a bit.
      --
    • Oh darn.

I made up a list of things to pack. I didn't think it was a long list. I did remember that back years ago tents were separate...

So I have a backpack of personal gear, a bag of food, and a second backpack that contains tent and rain fly. Sleepingbag and pad aren't in a backpack.

low-key argh.
      --