Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

REI to Close

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• REI to Close

... on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

theatlantic.com/business/archi…iday-thanksgiving/412612/

I commend REI and it is nice to see a company put its people ahead of profits.

Stritzke is right that the whole thing has gotten out of hand, though I am not against Black Friday. In fact I work Thanksgiving and the days after and am quite happy to. I take my pay and my 20 hours of comp time and put it to where I want to use the time. I think what irks me more are the social justice warrior types who bitch and moan about retail outlets being open on thanksgiving would be, and are, the first ones to bitch and moan over the fact that they are closed.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • I don't shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday but not out of any sense of right or wrong. I think it's insane, and anyone who partakes is insane. Overall, I think the greed of it has become ridiculous, but if businesses want to be open and employees are willing to work, rock on.

All that said, I think REI's decision rocks. Even more in that employees will be paid for the day off.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • I'll be at the beach with kids, grand kids and other family and friends...I doubt I'll be shopping, hoping the son-in-law saved me a few of those Cuban cigars he brought back, would go nicely with some Woodford Reserve while watching the waves roll in.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • As a society our actions speak louder than our words. We proclaim that retail outlets should be closed for thanksgiving or black Friday or any other holiday, and yet turn around and run out to shop.

Thanksgiving happens to be the busiest travel day so all those driving families means the gas stations and convenience stores will be open. And yet they believe they've not burdened anyone because they didn't run out to a sale.

Thanksgiving is our (my museum's) biggest special programing event and has our highest visitation. There's not a chance we'd be closed. And not only does Colonial Williamsburg open on Thanksgiving, they're opened Christmas as well. Williamsburg is a vacation destination -- there is no chance of a site closing.

If the public really believed that businesses should be closed on holidays they would stay home -- they don't! And for anyone that works in the service/retail sector, you're naive to think that holiday and weekend work are not a condition of employment.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Wife and I plan a quiet Thanksgiving at home. With our daughter if she has the time to come up. (I suspect that this year, she won't.) My wife wouldn't enjoy time in the backcountry - you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl. And I most likely won't yet be back to hiking. I'm hoping that if recovery goes well I can get back on trail in the Spring sometime.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • sheepdog wrote:

I've worked most holidays for the last 35 years.
      I've had one thanksgiving of in 25 years. I've only worked one Christmas day as all the restaurants I've worked have been closed. Easter, Mother day, July 4, Labor, Memorial day etc are all work days. Those weeks I get a reverse holiday where I get to work 7 days.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

As a society our actions speak louder than our words. We proclaim that retail outlets should be closed for thanksgiving or black Friday or any other holiday, and yet turn around and run out to shop.

Thanksgiving happens to be the busiest travel day so all those driving families means the gas stations and convenience stores will be open. And yet they believe they've not burdened anyone because they didn't run out to a sale.

Thanksgiving is our (my museum's) biggest special programing event and has our highest visitation. There's not a chance we'd be closed. And not only does Colonial Williamsburg open on Thanksgiving, they're opened Christmas as well. Williamsburg is a vacation destination -- there is no chance of a site closing.

If the public really believed that businesses should be closed on holidays they would stay home -- they don't! And for anyone that works in the service/retail sector, you're naive to think that holiday and weekend work are not a condition of employment.
      There are many people who will have to work on Public Holidays and weekends always.
      Here thanks to big business owning both sides of politics it is now being eroded but our wages system has always compensated employees for this.
      e.g. for a public holiday work performed during regular business hours is paid at 1.5 x normal hourly rate. Work performed outside normal hours (i.e. overtime) at 2.5 x normal rate. If the business can't afford the penalty rates they don't open.
      We love our holidays and demand compensation for giving them up.
      Annie did 7.5 hours overtime last Sunday for 2x normal hourly pay.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • socks wrote:

I use to work on Christmas Day when I worked at a Jewish owned liquor store/bar, the women fed us well and gave us a present., nice insolated shirt for working in the beer cooler and. some mullah
      Did you ever come across any worthy kosher wine?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I have no need to shop on Black Friday as we stopped gift giving years ago. There's no more little kids in our extended family and everyone understands how much of a stress relief it is to not have to shop and buy gifts.
      I'm and adult and if I want or need something I'll buy it for myself. That way I get the proper size, color, ect.
      And of course there's the fact that I despise crowds!
    • I'll be driving to Raleigh from MI for the Thanksgiving weekend. Never traveled on Thanksgiving before. This is the first year my wife has not had to work the day before and/or after. Not looking forward to driving so far, but we have six days off, so we can stretch it out. Will cross the AT somewhere near Bland, I think.
    • I hate crowds and refuse to shop on Black Friday or any weekend day during the holiday season. I very rarely shop online either regardless of what time of year it is. I don't have PayPal and I don't use credit cards. Luckily my wife takes care of 95% of our shopping needs.

I can't help but think of all the free advertising that REI is getting from all this hoopla.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

I hate crowds and refuse to shop on Black Friday or any weekend day during the holiday season. I very rarely shop online either regardless of what time of year it is. I don't have PayPal and I don't use credit cards. Luckily my wife takes care of 95% of our shopping needs.

I can't help but think of all the free advertising that REI is getting from all this hoopla.
      And don't you think they thought that one out before they announced it?
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • First Halloween night that Im not working in probably 20 years...Working Thanksgiving as usual and Christmas..I might take the Friday off after Thanksgiving though and utilize it hiking.

Campmor is my favorite, although the past few times Ive gone there on my way home from work they had nothing I wanted in stock. Sort of frustrating.
      RIAP