Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Easy fruit cobbler on the trail.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Easy fruit cobbler on the trail.

Easy fruit cobbler (1 serving)

½ C dried fruit or freeze dried
      ¼ C bread crumbs
      2Tsp sugar
      Pinch Nutmeg
      ½ C H2O

Pack fruit & sugar in bag.
      Add to bag of bread crumbs
      At camp simmer fruit till tender if using FD just add boiling water & let sit a few minutes
      Stir in bread crumbs

I used this for a variety of dried fruits. I adjust the sugar & spice depending on what fruit, i.e. for apple I use brown sugar & cinnamon.

That's surely an oldie but goodie!

On one of my late summer trips I found blueberries up in the peaks, picked a cup or so, made a dough with a couple of spoonsful of biscuit mix and just enough water to moisten it, floated that on the top, and sprinkled with a restaurant sugar packet. Steamed it with an ounce of alcohol and the simmer ring in place on my stove - that's probably about 20 min. Lovely cobbler with raised dumplings. It could have used more spice, but I hadn't brought anything suitable along.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

That's surely an oldie but goodie!

On one of my late summer trips I found blueberries up in the peaks, picked a cup or so, made a dough with a couple of spoonsful of biscuit mix and just enough water to moisten it, floated that on the top, and sprinkled with a restaurant sugar packet. Steamed it with an ounce of alcohol and the simmer ring in place on my stove - that's probably about 20 min. Lovely cobbler with raised dumplings. It could have used more spice, but I hadn't brought anything suitable along.

Was the ounce of alcohol added to the recipe or are you talking about fuel here? :huh:

Oh indeed! For a bit of easy punch, you can put the oats in the blender and it will reduce them to a slightly grainy oat powder. This is the secret to Mrs. Fields Cookie recipe.

Bread pudding can be done the same way except with dried fruit in the "pudding." A bit of vanilla really helps it along but bread crumbs as a pie/cobbler/pudding base can be very effective.
      You're doing it ALL wrong!!!
    • Re:Re: Easy fruit cobbler on the trail.

FarmerChef wrote:

Oh indeed! For a bit of easy punch, you can put the oats in the blender and it will reduce them to a slightly grainy oat powder. This is the secret to Mrs. Fields Cookie recipe.

Bread pudding can be done the same way except with dried fruit in the "pudding." A bit of vanilla really helps it along but bread crumbs as a pie/cobbler/pudding base can be very effective.

I worked at a restaurant which had a Sunday brunch. Every week after the brunch was over we collected all the Danish, croissants, muffins, biscuits, cinnamon buns, rolls and such and froze them until Saturday. Then we mixed them with cream, eggs, vanilla, chocolate chips, dried fruit and made bread pudding. The only real rule was bread pudding wasn't allowed to go into the bread pudding.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123