Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's time to play...wash that pot

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It's time to play...wash that pot

Stovies always try to figure how much fuel they use to get a pot of water to boil, always looking for the least amount to carry on a trip. I've always strive to use as little rinse water to clean up my kitchen...So. There used to be a game show on the tele called "Name That Tune" where they would play a few notes and the contestants would bet they could name that tune in a said amounts of notes, then the another contestant would say he/she could name it in a lower amount usually by increments of a single note, and so on till finally when a contestant thought that it could't be done, they'd offer the challenge to "Name That Tune"

honor system rules apply;
      all pots are to be the one you use the most on the trial
      the challenged will cook and clean up Mac and Cheese (as the control) your choice of recipe with whatever water they were challenged to use
      only use water (soap if ya want) and brushes, scrapers, sand, finger nails or whatever
      you must post a picture of said meal before and after washing pot...at the end to be scrutinized by the body.

good luck :)

I kick it off starting pretty high saying I can wash that pot with 3 cups of water.
    • odd man out wrote:

Now I always make a cup of tea after dinner. Do I have to include that cup of water (which helps to clean the pot) since I would be making the tea anyway? Mac and cheese flavored tea - yum!
      Yup, that's fair and common practice, so lets say you make your tea, cocoa, or whatever and then drink the swill, and then you use the agreed upon amount of water to Wash That Pot
    • After dinner I use a squege to wipe my pot out & lick it clean. Om a long carry I want to eat as much of the food I had to haul. That leaves my pot 99.8% clean. Some nights I boil water for some tea. The bags make a decent scrub brush when done.

When traveling alone I feel rinsing pot out is ok as long as next use is a boil. My camp routine is to set untrted water to boil as I set my tent up & make camp. Filter water as I cook.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

After dinner I use a squege to wipe my pot out & lick it clean. Om a long carry I want to eat as much of the food I had to haul. That leaves my pot 99.8% clean. Some nights I boil water for some tea. The bags make a decent scrub brush when done.

When traveling alone I feel rinsing pot out is ok as long as next use is a boil. My camp routine is to set untrted water to boil as I set my tent up & make camp. Filter water as I cook.
      kinda my feeling as well, if my next heating is to a boil, then I'm not terribly concerned that I may have left a film from the previous cooking/cleaning.
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Clean?
      Non comprende por favor.....?
      It is what the waitress does after clearing your plate! gif.013.gif
      So I'm dating my now wife and were having dinner in Atlantic City at a up scale Chinese restaurant (or so I thought) When we finish our meal a women comes over looks at me and says "Are you ready for your Oriental massage" I turned, looked at my girlfriend and replied "Nah, that's alright"

true story Astro :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

One of my goals is to quit using freezer bags and cook in my pot instead.
      i do it all the time, to get the crud/cheese,etc. off the bottom, i just boil a little water after eating.i use a small piece of scotch scrub pad, and a gsi pot scraper.fbc cooking is okay for short trips, not very practical on lashes, unless you're doing a gazillion food drops.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

i do it all the time, to get the crud/cheese,etc. off the bottom, i just boil a little water after eating.i use a small piece of scotch scrub pad, and a gsi pot scraper.fbc cooking is okay for short trips, not very practical on lashes, unless you're doing a gazillion food drops.
      So HB, how much water do you use to clean it?
    • socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

about an inch
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

about an inch
      Bastard, thats cheatin' you knew I was gonna tell you to Wash That Pot :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Old fogies around here. ^^
      Yea they get land locked Barnacles!

TrafficJam wrote:

Why? remeasured - easy planned, boil water.....no mess... I am a convert. I got to hand it too ya as I spotted a GSI pressure cooker on the AT last year, caused me to stop and ask questions of the group... appears to work in small circles.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Why? remeasured - easy planned, boil water.....no mess... I am a convert. I got to hand it too ya as I spotted a GSI pressure cooker on the AT last year, caused me to stop and ask questions of the group... appears to work in small circles.

One reason for avoiding FBC is that some of the folks around here think it's un-green to generate that much waste, or are nervous about exposing themselves to the chemicals in the plastic. (The folklore is that plastic freezer bags aren't rated to handle boiling water. This isn't actually true - one use case that the manufacturers consider is dumping in boiling-hot food from a pot on the stove.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

One reason for avoiding FBC is that some of the folks around here think it's un-green to generate that much waste, or are nervous about exposing themselves to the chemicals in the plastic. (The folklore is that plastic freezer bags aren't rated to handle boiling water. This isn't actually true - one use case that the manufacturers consider is dumping in boiling-hot food from a pot on the stove.)
      You nailed it. Totally agree - a lot a folks tune into the rosy news (ABC,CBS,NBC, and the bread winner of gee we are going to scare you ... PBS) the most recent BS this news cycle - red meat which as humans have eaten 100 thousand years. They make stuff up to scare you into watching each and every night. They can't help themselves if you hear a lie long enough - must be true... WE as a country cannot help ourselves avoid myths and urban legends... such as dryer sheets may prevent bed bugs.... really?

Spinach may be more dangerous.... contains heavy metals such as lead that stay in the blood. Please step back... from the danger's of vegan.....

Keurig is ungreen too....google the inventor.

Keeping this all in good perspective ...woo.
    • If steak will kill me all I can say is "what a way to go"!
      I can't imagine that an extra 5 years of lifespan being vegetarian is going to give me more "life" than eating meat.
      Living is deadly. It will kill everyone in the end.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

You nailed it. Totally agree - a lot a folks tune into the rosy news (ABC,CBS,NBC, and the bread winner of gee we are going to scare you ... PBS) the most recent BS this news cycle - red meat which as humans have eaten 100 thousand years.

Where the media went astray on that one is in the quality of the evidence vs the magnitude of the risk. There is very high quality evidence that eating cured meats increases the likelihood of colorectal cancer. But the increase is slight - from about 4 to about 5 percent over a lifetime, if I recall the paper correctly. (I'm too lazy to go check at the moment.) As long as the ignorant don't convince the nanny-state to start banning stuff, I'll do fine.

Since it's also well established that the death rate from colorectal cancer would fall tenfold if everyone got scoped at the recommended intervals, I'll eat what I please and suffer the indignity of a bowel prep and a scope every five years. (I'm in an elevated risk category, so they don't want me to go 10 years like most people.) That's a much higher-impact thing I can do for myself.

I eat very little red meat to begin with. I generally have cured meats only on the trail. (They're one of the things that taste good to me when I'm Out There, and pretty awful when I'm in town. Peanut butter is another food that I like only when I'm hiking.) Since the dose response is not well characterized, I think I'm relatively safe.

Moderation in all things. Including moderation.
    • Just about every food, eaten to excess, is a health hazard.

If any of you ever aw Red Foxx the comic he had this to say, 'Some day lots of people who ate right or going to be in the hospital, dieing of nothing wrong with them'. Something like that, I don't remember the exact quote.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I don't worry about chemicals, but I hate throwing away a lot of plastic. At home, I wash and reuse plastic bags.

I also dislike when my FBC meals don't rehydrate as well as I'd like or I'm really hungry and can't wait long enough. I set up camp before I start cooking then have to sit and think about how long it's taking and how hungry I am...I need to change this habit.

I would like to carry my dehydrated meals in bulk and measure out what I need for each meal instead of having a bunch of little plastic bags in my food bag.

Cooking in my pot would give me more meal options VS only eating dehydrated or FBC-ready food.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • When I first started backpacking, I was confused about how to wash my bowl and pot and still be LNT. I was a little paranoid about doing things wrong and pissing off other hikers. I was also too shy to ask questions of the veterans. That's one reason I started doing FBC. I'm not going to totally give it up, I just want to do more cooking in my pot.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

When I first started backpacking, I was confused about how to wash my bowl and pot and still be LNT. I was a little paranoid about doing things wrong and pissing off other hikers. I was also too shy to ask questions of the veterans. That's one reason I started doing FBC. I'm not going to totally give it up, I just want to do more cooking in my pot.
      Those tiny food particles may give the ants high cholesterol
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

You nailed it. Totally agree - a lot a folks tune into the rosy news (ABC,CBS,NBC, and the bread winner of gee we are going to scare you ... PBS) the most recent BS this news cycle - red meat which as humans have eaten 100 thousand years.
      Where the media went astray on that one is in the quality of the evidence vs the magnitude of the risk. There is very high quality evidence that eating cured meats increases the likelihood of colorectal cancer. But the increase is slight - from about 4 to about 5 percent over a lifetime, if I recall the paper correctly. (I'm too lazy to go check at the moment.) As long as the ignorant don't convince the nanny-state to start banning stuff, I'll do fine.

Since it's also well established that the death rate from colorectal cancer would fall tenfold if everyone got scoped at the recommended intervals, I'll eat what I please and suffer the indignity of a bowel prep and a scope every five years. (I'm in an elevated risk category, so they don't want me to go 10 years like most people.) That's a much higher-impact thing I can do for myself.

I eat very little red meat to begin with. I generally have cured meats only on the trail. (They're one of the things that taste good to me when I'm Out There, and pretty awful when I'm in town. Peanut butter is another food that I like only when I'm hiking.) Since the dose response is not well characterized, I think I'm relatively safe.

Moderation in all things. Including moderation.
      I agree with the moderation, I could care less and will never trust the press again. but that is my problem...until I see the real science and study... well you know the rest.

socks wrote:

Smoked foods are carcinogenic .
      So is biting your nails. Are you serious? Smoking and cooking food is 100,000 years old and nobody has three heads. Just remember John Wayne lived to be 72 years old smoked like a chimney and ate a ton of steak and hot dogs... and died of stomach cancer.... he had a good life.

George Washington who wrote love letter's to Martha his wife, included recipe's, & ate a ton of smoked meat and discussed it in those letters as Martha was an excellent cook and kept a great "diary" of information and lived to be 81 on some very poor choppers. And was bled to death, because of a sore throat.

If smoked foods are carcinogenic - it is truly on the back's of Henry Fords nasty Kingsford Charcoal as it contains Pine scraps from building material and odd Coal Dust included. I am using blocks of real wood.

He started Kingsford because he needed to find a way to get rid of the byproducts of making wooden wheels on the Model A and T and had left over coal scrap from the steel mill.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• You're confusing quality of evidence with magnitude of risk again. The evidence is convincing that smoked foods are carcinogenic. Eating them increases your risk. It's virtually certain that there is an association.

But it doesn't increase it very much. Compared with tobacco or even sunburn, it's a tiny risk.
    • Astro wrote:

How bad a risk is sun burn?
      Even less so just natural tanning without sun burn?
      Speaking from the country with a higher melanoma rate than any other in the world, sun burn is extremely dangerous. On a par or worse than smoking. Of course the hole in the ozone layer is bigger in the Southern hemisphere than the Northern hemisphere.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.