Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's time to play...wash that pot

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One of the guys aboard ship fell asleep out on deck during lunch. He got blisters about 2-3 inches across and couldn't work for 6 months. So yeah, sunburn can be bad for you.

He thought he was getting paid and goofing off for 6 months. He was a bit upset when he found out that he was on hospital time, doesn't count towards completion of an enlistment/contract.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

You nailed it. Totally agree - a lot a folks tune into the rosy news (ABC,CBS,NBC, and the bread winner of gee we are going to scare you ... PBS) the most recent BS this news cycle - red meat which as humans have eaten 100 thousand years

Smoked foods are carcinogenic.Red meat is not that good for you.
      Please check page one... you missed it, or perhaps sped past it, and FYI we are all going to die....

recent Proverb ....Never ask an Atheist why they don't believe, ask instead what's their plan when they find out they were wrong.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

You nailed it. Totally agree - a lot a folks tune into the rosy news (ABC,CBS,NBC, and the bread winner of gee we are going to scare you ... PBS) the most recent BS this news cycle - red meat which as humans have eaten 100 thousand years

Please check page one... you missed it, or perhaps sped past it, and FYI we are all going to die....
      recent Proverb ....Never ask an Atheist why they don't believe, ask instead what's their plan when they find out they were wrong.
      k
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

What are all the Christians and Muslims going to do when they find out that the Hindus were the ones who got it right?
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Please check page one... you missed it, or perhaps sped past it, and FYI we are all going to die....recent Proverb ....Never ask an Atheist why they don't believe, ask instead what's their plan when they find out they were wrong.
      What are all the Christians and Muslims going to do when they find out that the Hindus were the ones who got it right?
      Would not that be Karma? Hindus are the world's third largest group after Christians and Muslims. Seriously Their family values are reasonable...Hey I will share back in the 70's and totally out of date what is happening now. My dad purchased a book resonating or documenting from Nat Geo all the religions of the world in great detail... I think I read it about 1973. good eye opener. Never understood the cow thing... got a handle on it much later... the smell,
    • OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Please check page one... you missed it, or perhaps sped past it, and FYI we are all going to die....recent Proverb ....Never ask an Atheist why they don't believe, ask instead what's their plan when they find out they were wrong.
      southpark.cc.com/clips/152270/abandon-all-hope

It's actually the mormons that go to heaven
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • JimBlue wrote:

I remember Johnny Carson's take on all these test on mice. He said, 'Well, at least we know how to take out all the mice'.

I'll eat a balanced diet and go hiking, and go on from there.
      I do that and then get the biggest cheeseburger and coldest beer I can find. That's my reward to myself.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

just start over again...no biggie
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Cured meats contain Saltpeter, or curing sugars, I use Morton's curing sugar when converting hamburger into delicious jerky. it adds a layer of protection in killing deadly microbes before you put it in the pack. A perfect old world preservation. And you only use a tiny amount. Found in most professional jerky and Commercial processed meats for example ie Hot Dogs... Nitrosamines, formed in cured meats containing sodium nitrate and nitrite, have been linked to gastric cancer and oesophageal cancer. Sodium nitrate and nitrite are associated with a higher risk of colorectal cancer.

However know this: For most people, the highest dietary source of nitrates is from fruits and vegetables and no studies have conclusively linked nitrates and nitrites to cancer or any other form of diseases. On the contrary, some research has hinted to beneficial properties of nitrites such as lowering blood pressure by slightly expanding arteries.

The evidence for cancer

In 2011 a report from the Continuous Update Project
      was published. It found strong evidence that eating red meat or
      processed meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. The analysis of eight
      cohort studies showed a 17 per cent increased risk per 100g red meat
      per day (RR: 1.17 (1.05-1.31)). The analysis of nine cohort studies
      found strong evidence that eating processed meat increases the risk of
      bowel cancer by 18 per cent per 50g processed meat per day (RR 1.18
      (1.10-1.28)). For both analyses the results of the individual studies
      were generally consistent – adding strength to the association. ( A one percent difference)

Take note the study was paid millions to draw this conclusion in 2011 and here we are the news dredged it up again on a slow news cycle in 2015 The study also concluded but not reported by the news "Red meat is also a good source of valuable nutrients, such as protein, iron, zinc and vitamin B12, so it can contribute to a healthy, balanced diet. Processed meat on the other hand has less valuable nutrients and can be high in fat and salt, so if you eat red meat it’s best to choose fresh, unprocessed meat."

So feel free to keep eating steak and avoid the hot dogs.

So wrapping up --- back on track. Hard Boiled Eggs, Home made Jerky, String cheese and dense breads such as bagels and cream cheese, an occasional apple is stove-less. A Dirty Steak on the fire is PRICELESS.

NO washing pots.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• socks wrote:

microbes love sugar, you could say they live for it.
      Its called Morton's Sugar cure for a reason... Saltpeter is nasty and a little sugar hides the taste. It's a teaspoon of saltpeter to a pound of fresh meat to prevent the squirts, or the hospital - your choice.
      [IMG:https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2000/9d454/products/5643/images/6955/20777-morton-smoke-flavored-sugar-cure__07563.1288295586.500.750.jpg?c=2]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

Its called Morton's Sugar cure for a reason... Saltpeter is nasty and a little sugar hides the taste. It's a teaspoon of saltpeter to a pound of fresh meat to prevent the squirts, or the hospital - your choice. And again I find your post offensive. Please refrain from dogging me after each post.
      [IMG:https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2000/9d454/products/5643/images/6955/20777-morton-smoke-flavored-sugar-cure__07563.1288295586.500.750.jpg?c=2]
      Offensive, woo what the heck are you talkin' about, get some feathers dude.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

Its called Morton's Sugar cure for a reason... Saltpeter is nasty and a little sugar hides the taste. It's a teaspoon of saltpeter to a pound of fresh meat to prevent the squirts, or the hospital - your choice.[IMG:https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2000/9d454/products/5643/images/6955/20777-morton-smoke-flavored-sugar-cure__07563.1288295586.500.750.jpg?c=2]
      resist.com/JOOMJournal/Making%…Peter%20From%20Urine.html

Urine can in fact be used in the manufacture of gunpowder, and it has historically been a very important source of one of the crucial ingredients in gunpowder, saltpeter, also known as niter. This nitrate compound is what allows gunpowder to rapidly oxidize and catch fire, generating an explosion which can be used to fire munitions.
    • socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

Its called Morton's Sugar cure for a reason... Saltpeter is nasty and a little sugar hides the taste. It's a teaspoon of saltpeter to a pound of fresh meat to prevent the squirts, or the hospital - your choice.[IMG:https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2000/9d454/products/5643/images/6955/20777-morton-smoke-flavored-sugar-cure__07563.1288295586.500.750.jpg?c=2]
      resist.com/JOOMJournal/Making%…Peter%20From%20Urine.html
      Urine can in fact be used in the manufacture of gunpowder, and it has historically been a very important source of one of the crucial ingredients in gunpowder, saltpeter, also known as niter. This nitrate compound is what allows gunpowder to rapidly oxidize and catch fire, generating an explosion which can be used to fire munitions.
      Socks sometimes you show total brilliance... please do not think for one moment its human or most animals. Its seagulls poop
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

socks wrote:

resist.com/JOOMJournal/Making%…Peter%20From%20Urine.htmlUrine can in fact be used in the manufacture of gunpowder, and it has historically been a very important source of one of the crucial ingredients in gunpowder, saltpeter, also known as niter. This nitrate compound is what allows gunpowder to rapidly oxidize and catch fire, generating an explosion which can be used to fire munitions.
      Socks sometimes you show total brilliance... please do not think for one moment its human or most animals. Its seagulls poop
      Bats too, they found it in caves and worked it during the civil war...namely in PA right along side the States iron mines, where they forged cannon balls for the effort.
    • In the morning, I make oatmeal, wipe the pot with the wrappers, and burn the wrappers. When I finish wiping, the pot looks clean and dry. Ramen flavor packets leave a greasy film on the pot. Eating loaded mashed potatoes and/or drinking a hot beverage out of the pot afterwards reduces the amount of grease left in the pot. Sometimes I wipe the pot with a disinfectant wipe, add an ounce of water, shake, and dump the water. Dear me, I must be killing soil bacteria.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

In the morning, I make oatmeal, wipe the pot with the wrappers, and burn the wrappers. When I finish wiping, the pot looks clean and dry. Ramen flavor packets leave a greasy film on the pot. Eating loaded mashed potatoes and/or drinking a hot beverage out of the pot afterwards reduces the amount of grease left in the pot. Sometimes I wipe the pot with a disinfectant wipe, add an ounce of water, shake, and dump the water. Dear me, I must be killing soil bacteria.
      Have you tried pouring the water right in the packet of oatmeal? It cooks fast and no clean up.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Liquid soap on the bottom of the pot. Then wipe it off after cooking. No water needed.

For the inside of the same pot, well, good lick with that.
      There... fixed it for you... 8o Paging Gene Simmons...
      Does Adrianne Lewis hike?

one of the Scouts I worked with when I was in high school decided to put soap on the outside and inside before cooking the food. Of course everyone in that group got sick. He said in his defense he just wanted to make it easy to clean up later. Some of the parents were upset but we pointed out he got sick to.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

In the morning, I make oatmeal, wipe the pot with the wrappers, and burn the wrappers. When I finish wiping, the pot looks clean and dry. Ramen flavor packets leave a greasy film on the pot. Eating loaded mashed potatoes and/or drinking a hot beverage out of the pot afterwards reduces the amount of grease left in the pot. Sometimes I wipe the pot with a disinfectant wipe, add an ounce of water, shake, and dump the water. Dear me, I must be killing soil bacteria.
      Have you tried pouring the water right in the packet of oatmeal? It cooks fast and no clean up.
      That is what I do for oatmeal and grits.
      When I first started the AT I carried a cup, which was extra weight and took time to clean.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I normally eat those small packets 3 or 4 at a time. Maybe I will try it your way sometime, but I like to stir the oatmeal after pouring hot water over it. More to the point, I like to mix multiple flavors together.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• JimBlue wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Liquid soap on the bottom of the pot. Then wipe it off after cooking. No water needed.

For the inside of the same pot, well, good lick with that.
      There... fixed it for you... 8o Paging Gene Simmons...
      Does Adrianne Lewis hike?
      one of the Scouts I worked with when I was in high school decided to put soap on the outside and inside before cooking the food. Of course everyone in that group got sick. He said in his defense he just wanted to make it easy to clean up later. Some of the parents were upset but we pointed out he got sick to.
      I bet the pants didn't clean up too easy.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I normally eat those small packets 3 or 4 at a time. Maybe I will try it your way sometime, but I like to stir the oatmeal after pouring hot water over it. More to the point, I like to mix multiple flavors together.
      When carrying oatmeal, I like to use the quick cooking variety premeasured into single servings, mixed with powdered milk, brown sugar, raisins or other dried fruit, and placed into a ziplock. Yes I have a pot to clean, but a hot breakfast results with minimal effort.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

I made the mistake of not rinsing a water bottle well.....all I can tell you is I'll never do that again...and I'm glad I was hiking alone.
      I washed a bladder with dish soap once and it took about 30-40 good rinses to get rid of the soapy taste, and still to this day there is a hint of it. Reading up on the subject it would appear that plastics because of their structure hang on to soap more so than say metal...never again with plain ole dish soap.
    • Dan76 wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

When carrying oatmeal, I like to use the quick cooking variety premeasured into single servings, mixed with powdered milk, brown sugar, raisins or other dried fruit, and placed into a ziplock. Yes I have a pot to clean, but a hot breakfast results with minimal effort.
      I prefer quick cook in bulk. Add what I have on hand & how the mood fits. Cleaning is just swishing water around & hydrating myself. Next use will bring to boil to sterilize it.
    • meat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I made the mistake of not rinsing a water bottle well.....all I can tell you is I'll never do that again...and I'm glad I was hiking alone.
      I washed a bladder with dish soap once and it took about 30-40 good rinses to get rid of the soapy taste, and still to this day there is a hint of it. Reading up on the subject it would appear that plastics because of their structure hang on to soap more so than say metal...never again with plain ole dish soap.
      Cof124 Cof124 Cof124

Seriously funny!!!! Did you get the soap out of the tube?????

So, those bladder cleaning tabs that Camelbak, Osprey, MSR, OP, etc...make? They work!!! Be sure to burp the cleaning water THROUGH the drinking tube AND mouthpiece a couple of times during the fizz/cleaning process. At the end, I pull the mouthpiece and drain through tube and rinse the bladder 2X. Very very slight chlorine taste for the first bladder full of water....

The funny thing is...the Camelbak is essentially chlorine dioxide(the same as one type purification tablets) and the Osprey is sodium carbonate peroxide that produces hydrogen peroxide when introduced to water. And, they both cost big money for what they are...

I am thinking about trying out some Efferdent....any thoughts?
    • I just run bleach water through mine. I do the same with water filters. A table spoon of bleach to a liter of water. When I retired the first time I got a job as the hiking guy at a sporting goods store. That is what the product salesmen advised.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • ScareBear wrote:

meat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Cof124 Cof124 Cof124
      Seriously funny!!!! Did you get the soap out of the tube?????

So, those bladder cleaning tabs that Camelbak, Osprey, MSR, OP, etc...make? They work!!! Be sure to burp the cleaning water THROUGH the drinking tube AND mouthpiece a couple of times during the fizz/cleaning process. At the end, I pull the mouthpiece and drain through tube and rinse the bladder 2X. Very very slight chlorine taste for the first bladder full of water....

The funny thing is...the Camelbak is essentially chlorine dioxide(the same as one type purification tablets) and the Osprey is sodium carbonate peroxide that produces hydrogen peroxide when introduced to water. And, they both cost big money for what they are...

I am thinking about trying out some Efferdent....any thoughts?
      that's what I used when I carried bladders. Worked well for me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference