Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Zip offs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've been looking for a pair of zip-off pants to take on the trail this coming spring, but I'm veeeeery particular when it comes to zip offs. I'm looking for something that's not so baggy as traditional zip offs (slim fit), and something that zips off well above the knee... Any suggestions?
    • Are you looking for convertible pants that turn into shorts or old school verticle zip off pants that you can take of the pants while wearing boots?

Convertibles that are slim
      marmot.com/products/details/tr…convertible-pant-32inseam

columbia.com/mens-pfg-blood-an…riationColor=028#start=13
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • socks wrote:

I love my zippy's, wear em all year round. Mine are EMS brand, have had good luck with wear on those, but's it's pretty hard to kill nylon of the thickness used in shorts/pants.
      I've managed to kill a few of those from EMS. But I've had occasions to butt-slide on sandstone.

The most embareassing time was blowing out the seat of my pants right in front of John Burroughs's granddaughter - and not knowing it until I got back to my car. All she could have seen was the black compression shorts I had on underneath, and she was too much of a lady to mention a problem that I couldn't do much about, anyway.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I like to hike in shorts, even when its a little cold. So I was always thinking that I like convertibles. But when you turn them into shorts they are really baggy and not comfortable, and when pants they are floods. I have a pair of Campmor brand and an REI brand. With were considerably different prices. Honestly, the campmor ones fit better, but the pockets are too small, and don't last long. Showed signs of coming apart only after about of 100 miles if use. The REI ones are much more durable, pockets are good, but I don't like the fit.
      So now Ive got a good pair of Marmot pants and REI shorts. They work great. They allow some stretch, are comfortable with deep pockets and so far bomb proof.
      RIAP
    • A word of caution: when the label on your convertibles (zip-offs) says "Use cool iron only", be sure that you DO NOT USE A HOT IRON!!!!!!!

I've only owned REI convertibles up until now. One pair that I purchased in 2007 lasted until 2013 when the fly zipper broke. I took them back to REI and they gave me partial credit toward a new pair. I was sorry that the zipper broke as those were very durable pants. Wore the new pair on my attempted long distance hike in 2013, various short hikes around the state since and on my Harpers Ferry to Mason-Dixon line hike in April. Well, the seat ended up with a few small rips so I was going to put on an iron-on patch. Barely touched the iron to the pants to 'warm them up' so the patch would adhere better and whoops, melted a 3" area. Regrouped and let the iron cool down, cut a much larger patch and was able to iron it on. Wore them on our vacation to South Haven at the end of August and big rip when I bent over. Shucks.

So, went to REI on Wednesday but their offerings of REI Sahara, which is what I had before, have been restyled in what I consider a negative manner. When I mentioned the change in styling (pockets, belt), the saleswoman argued with me. (What happened to the customer always being right?) Didn't care for the Columbia zip-offs either. So, when I came home, I went on the REI Outlet, now called the REI Garage, and found a pair of Mountain Hardware Convertibles that look pretty good on sale. So, ordered them. Will pick them up at the store on Wednesday. :)
    • I did the same thing! Melted the seat trying to iron on a patch on the back pocket. Went to REI and didn't like anything they had. Went home and cut the leg off a pair of Columbia pants to get material and made a new back pocket and sewed it on over the other one on my Sahara's.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I did the same thing! Melted the seat trying to iron on a patch on the back pocket. Went to REI and didn't like anything they had. Went home and cut the leg off a pair of Columbia pants to get material and made a new back pocket and sewed it on over the other one on my Sahara's.
      i’ve used superglue a couple of times and more often silicone caulk to glue patch repairs on otherwise serviceable Scout uniform items.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

who irons hiking pants and fleece????
      this couple!

i got this book from the ATC years ago. when it came out there was a lot of joking about the "yuppie couple" who were "waaay too clean" and were "probably models and not hikers."

she can hike with me anyday...

[IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51qQU%2Bnfc-L._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

who irons hiking pants and fleece????
      this couple!
      i got this book from the ATC years ago. when it came out there was a lot of joking about the "yuppie couple" who were "waaay too clean" and were "probably models and not hikers."

she can hike with me anyday...

[IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51qQU%2Bnfc-L._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
      Some might call it good marketing try to expand their customer base. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Trillium wrote:

A word of caution: when the label on your convertibles (zip-offs) says "Use cool iron only", be sure that you DO NOT USE A HOT IRON!!!!!!!

I've only owned REI convertibles up until now. One pair that I purchased in 2007 lasted until 2013 when the fly zipper broke. I took them back to REI and they gave me partial credit toward a new pair. I was sorry that the zipper broke as those were very durable pants. Wore the new pair on my attempted long distance hike in 2013, various short hikes around the state since and on my Harpers Ferry to Mason-Dixon line hike in April. Well, the seat ended up with a few small rips so I was going to put on an iron-on patch. Barely touched the iron to the pants to 'warm them up' so the patch would adhere better and whoops, melted a 3" area. Regrouped and let the iron cool down, cut a much larger patch and was able to iron it on. Wore them on our vacation to South Haven at the end of August and big rip when I bent over. Shucks.

So, went to REI on Wednesday but their offerings of REI Sahara, which is what I had before, have been restyled in what I consider a negative manner. When I mentioned the change in styling (pockets, belt), the saleswoman argued with me. (What happened to the customer always being right?) Didn't care for the Columbia zip-offs either. So, when I came home, I went on the REI Outlet, now called the REI Garage, and found a pair of Mountain Hardware Convertibles that look pretty good on sale. So, ordered them. Will pick them up at the store on Wednesday. :)
      Zip Offs have only four criteria that matter, forget the style - Tough and Light.
      1. When you sit down on a rock the pant pockets are deep enough to keep the contents from falling out.
      2. The leggings must be big enough to pull off over the boot so you don't have to remove your boots.
      3. The elastic waist and belt need to stay in the "up" position.
      4. The thickness of the material needs to sway thorns and pricker bush.
      Please stop ironing them. They are made out of thick Polyester, feel free to get the extra mile out them... nobody cares about rips or slightly visible undies. Nothing lasts forever, not even owls.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: