Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

A BMT Hike, One of My Toughest Hikes Ever

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A BMT Hike, One of My Toughest Hikes Ever

I've been wanting to do a loop hike of the new and old BMT in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek Wilderness but wasn't successful. I really needed one more day. I started at Beech Gap on Monday afternoon and hiked up to Naked Ground. It's a great place to camp. There were storms that night with a lot of rain and wind gusts up to 40 mph. The next morning, I started hiking North and took a side trail to the Hangover where I had coffee and breakfast. It was amazing. The clouds looked like ocean waves. On the way up from Naked Ground, I met another BMTA member and trail maintainer named Taz(?).

The trail down from the Hangover was wet, muddy, steep, and slippery. I fell several times and had to slide on my arse down boulders that were too big and slippery to walk on. I did it all with a smile on my face and thought it was super fun. Once I hit another challenging (for me) section of the BMT, Yellowhammer trail, the smile faded. That trail was really hard and wore me out. I rolled an ankle three times, fell quite a few times, and wish I'd brought a SPOT, just in case. It's gone on my list of trails I will never hike again by myself...it's the only one on the list :). Nichols Cove was fun, there's a sweet little cemetery, but the trail was difficult to follow with all the fallen leaves. I got off trail once in this area and ended up bushwhacking and backtracking.

By this time, I was so far behind schedule for completing the loop that I had to abandon the idea. I decided to hike down to Slickrock Creek then back up to the old BMT at Big Stack Gap and cut off the miles around Farr Gap.

I headed down Ike Branch trail, 0.5 miles of hell trying to get through blowdowns. After the rough day I'd already had, I went into a dark place.

Finally, I got to Slickrock Creek but wanted to make some more miles so ventured across and tried to follow Slickrock Creek trail. I lost the trail and it was 6:30 pm, so turned around and forded the creek again back to a campsite. I was so exhausted, I crawled into my tent, ate cold food, studied my maps, and read Of Moose and Men.

The next morning, I was up early, packed and waiting for enough light to follow the trail. While I was waiting, I heard a bizarre sound that I think might have been a Vixen. It sounded like a woman screaming and at first scared the crap out of me. I finally headed out for the 3 miles and 11 fords of Slickrock Creek. I have no experience with fording and it was scary as all get out. The water was about 2-3 inches above my knees. It took 3 hours for me to hike 3 miles and I decided that I missed the turn off to Big Stack Gap trail but finally came to it. It was a moment of triumph to know that I had done it and wasn't lost.

On a normal day, Big Stack Gap trail might not be so difficult but my muscles were screaming after the previous day. The trail climbs 1200(?)...1500(?) feet in 1.7 miles. Again, I was super slow and was happy to hit the old BMT at Big Stack Gap.

Hiking the old BMT was a tremendous relief. The trail is easy to follow in that area without the steepness and roughness of the new section. I wondered if rerouting to avoid fording Slickrock Creek is worth it. I decided it depends on what kind of experience a hiker wants and urge anyone who plans to hike the BMT to compare both and make a decision that is right (and safe) for them.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Thanks for the report. Too far from home, that's an area I've never explored.

Fodder for another thread or thread derailment: trails you will never do again.

Two from my own experience: the front face of Mt. Flume, and Wildcat-E, from Pinkham.

Possibly Katahdin's Knife Edge. Not sure I have the nerve to do it again.
    • I don't mind thread drift here but it would be a cool thread on it's own. :whistling:

I think what made this a tough trip is that I strung together too many challenging (for me) trails. I've hiked on trails similar to Yellowhammer trail and the trail from the Hangover to Big Fat Gap, but the wet trail conditions made it seem worse. My perception will probably change after the soreness is gone from my legs and the bruises have faded.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Wow what a hike. I think you did pretty darn good. You got in some tough situations and didn't panic and you were smart to have enough maps of the area to be able to alter your plan.
      It's funny, doing the extra miles around Farr Gap probably would have been easier. But I'm glad I had the experience and will be a better hiker because of it. After fording the creek over and over, I was a lot more confident about my capabilities. I broke one of my hiking poles in half coming down from the Hangover so I used a sturdy stick for 3 points of contact on the fords.
    • FYI, Trail 42, Slickrock Creek trail, that starts between Naked Ground and Saddle Tree Gap and descends down to Slickrock Creek is the trail known as the Nutbuster. Supposedly, it's one of the hardest trails in the Southeast. One day I'll try it. I did the lower section, it's the upper section that's supposed to be difficult.
    • Some day you'll be sharing memories of trails you've hiked and someone will mention how tough these trails are any you'll smile to yourself knowing that you've hiked them.

I was prowling around on the Presidential range with SloGo'En several weeks ago, we were staring at the ridgeline that is the Castle trail up Mt. Jefferson. He remarked that it was one of the few he hadn't done, he seemed spooked by it. I'd done it several years earlier as part of a solo overnight hike. At the time I recalled it was long and steep, but hardly the worst I've encountered. Maybe I'm not such a wimp after all.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Interesting. I am going to try the lower part of the BMT next year. If I can accumulate the money, maybe the entire thing. Probably start in June. Maybe, nothing definate yet. Still waiting on the guidebook.
      I still have Georgia, Yellowhammer Gap to Fontana, and most of the Smokies to do. I'm not sure which section I'll do next.
    • rafe wrote:

Some day you'll be sharing memories of trails you've hiked and someone will mention how tough these trails are any you'll smile to yourself knowing that you've hiked them.

I was prowling around on the Presidential range with SloGo'En several weeks ago, we were staring at the ridgeline that is the Castle trail up Mt. Jefferson. He remarked that it was one of the few he hadn't done, he seemed spooked by it. I'd done it several years earlier as part of a solo overnight hike. At the time I recalled it was long and steep, but hardly the worst I've encountered. Maybe I'm not such a wimp after all.
      Like.

I tend to think of myself as a pretty wimpy hiker. I surely can't compete with you - I don't have any of the boxes checked that people love to trumpet - while you have at least a few of them!

But then Backpacker magazine or someone will bring out a list of "Top Ten Toughest Hikes in America" or something ... and I'll see one or another of my favourite sections among them, and think. like you, that maybe I'm not such a wimp after all.

It's a nice feeling.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

rafe wrote:

Some day you'll be sharing memories of trails you've hiked and someone will mention how tough these trails are any you'll smile to yourself knowing that you've hiked them.

Like.
      I tend to think of myself as a pretty wimpy hiker. I surely can't compete with you - I don't have any of the boxes checked that people love to trumpet - while you have at least a few of them!

But then Backpacker magazine or someone will bring out a list of "Top Ten Toughest Hikes in America" or something ... and I'll see one or another of my favourite sections among them, and think. like you, that maybe I'm not such a wimp after all.

It's a nice feeling.
      Ridiculous. You have vast experience in the ADKs and Catskills, bushwhacking and navigation skills out the wazoo. I almost never hike anything but marked trails. SloGo'En missed that one trail but has checked off the "RMC 100" and has section hiked most of the AT multiple times.

The diff between us is maybe that you took your career (and other things) much more seriously than I did, while I goofed off with skiing, sailing, hiking, photography and RC airplanes. Which is why my career is basically over and yours is still going strong. Now there's nothing much left for me but wandering through the woods and reminiscing on social media. Poor poor pitiful me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I don't mind thread drift here but it would be a cool thread on it's own. :whistling:

I think what made this a tough trip is that I strung together too many challenging (for me) trails. I've hiked on trails similar to Yellowhammer trail and the trail from the Hangover to Big Fat Gap, but the wet trail conditions made it seem worse. My perception will probably change after the soreness is gone from my legs and the bruises have faded.
      It's good to challange yourself from time to time. To quote Harry Calahan:"A man has to know his limitations." So you pushed the envelope a little with the weather. You had enough sense to figure out an alternative plan & survived. I turned back from many hikes when conditions got to bad. It sucks not being able to do what you plan, but there is no shame in it. Better than having to call in SAR & endangering others. Once the pain & bruises fade, think about how great your hike really was.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I like the sound of the Naked Grounds.

Although it's probably not what I have pictures on my mind
      One of the nice things about the BMT is not having to hide in your tent to change clothes. It's liberating actually.

At Naked Ground there is a picture frame view. I positioned my tent to watch the sun rise the next morning...right under a tree that could have come down in the wind. It was foggy the next morning so no view.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

233.76 kB, 800×600, viewed 273 times
    • Thanks for the moral support and encouragement y'all! I feel good about how things turned out. I learned some new lessons, gained some confidence, and got to hike some new trails.

Sometimes I think hiking is similar to giving birth. The pain is quickly forgotten and the joyful experience remains forever.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Thanks for the moral support and encouragement y'all! I feel good about how things turned out. I learned some new lessons, gained some confidence, and got to hike some new trails.

Sometimes I think hiking is similar to giving birth. The pain is quickly forgotten and the joyful experience remains forever.
      I would "like" this post but I can't pretend to know what it's like to give birth. ;(
    • rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Thanks for the moral support and encouragement y'all! I feel good about how things turned out. I learned some new lessons, gained some confidence, and got to hike some new trails.

I would "like" this post but I can't pretend to know what it's like to give birth. ;(

When one of my nephews tried to tell his momma, my sister, he didn't think it was a 'big deal' to give birth, she suggested he imagine passing a bowling ball through his nose.

No, she doesn't tolerate fools well.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.