Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h./ft.bastion homesteading

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h./ft.bastion homesteading

the countdown has begun. in 99 days i begin my thru hike of the benton mackaye trail.the coming of new years day reminded me i'd better start going over the itinerary, see what i'm getting into.
      so i pulled out the maps and sgt rock's guide, retraced the bmt in red as the yellow highlight the map is marked in makes the trail hard to follow, and it isnt that easy to follow in red.looks like quite a few road walks, and im hoping i dont miss the turns when im out there.from what ive heard, i wont be seeing too many people for the 3 weeks i'll be on it till i rejoin the a.t. after the smokies.
      as far as food planning, looks like ill be carrying 4 days to first resupply, then i'll wing it as i go.not planning any mail drops, although i may switch out some gear once i get to damascus. i can ship stuff to fidjit and dot.com to hold for me. im thinking i may still need my winter gear for most of april.
      not too many hostels on the bmt, either so i dont plan on spending any nights in town till fontana, or possibly cherokee.

assuming i dont get hurt, completion of my walk to maine will depend upon how long my money holds out, so im definitely not doing the aussie/army ant $14k plan.
      its all good
    • bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

hikerboy wrote:

the countdown has begun. in 99 days i begin my thru hike of the benton mackaye trail.the coming of new years day reminded me i'd better start going over the itinerary, see what i'm getting into.
      so i pulled out the maps and sgt rock's guide, retraced the bmt in red as the yellow highlight the map is marked in makes the trail hard to follow, and it isnt that easy to follow in red.looks like quite a few road walks, and im hoping i dont miss the turns when im out there.from what ive heard, i wont be seeing too many people for the 3 weeks i'll be on it till i rejoin the a.t. after the smokies.
      as far as food planning, looks like ill be carrying 4 days to first resupply, then i'll wing it as i go.not planning any mail drops, although i may switch out some gear once i get to damascus. i can ship stuff to fidjit and dot.com to hold for me. im thinking i may still need my winter gear for most of april.
      not too many hostels on the bmt, either so i dont plan on spending any nights in town till fontana, or possibly cherokee.

assuming i dont get hurt, completion of my walk to maine will depend upon how long my money holds out, so im definitely not doing the aussie/army ant $14k plan.
      start one of those "fundme" campaigns like all these new hostel wannabe owners. friggin' moochers

bb made a good point i have to rethink my first aid kit, as i dont carry much for the at itself,just a few large patch style bandaids, neosporin and a coupla butterflys. the bmt may be a different experience, and im gonna have to be self sufficient, should i get hurt, so i mya need to supplement my bare bones f.a..
      also bringing maps and compass, something i normally never bring.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

bb made a good point i have to rethink my first aid kit, as i dont carry much for the at itself,just a few large patch style bandaids, neosporin and a coupla butterflys. the bmt may be a different experience, and im gonna have to be self sufficient, should i get hurt, so i mya need to supplement my bare bones f.a..
      naw, you don't need all that stuff. It just adds weight...blah blah blah...

Yes, always bring enough to be self Sufi isn't, it's one of the hikers golden rules.

Sent from my ipod from your girl friends house

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Yes, always bring enough to be self Sufi isn't, it's one of the hikers golden rules.

on the at its almost impossible to get lost, not so impossible on the bmt, at least to find youve been hiking the wrong trail for 5 or 6 miles.
      as far as first aid, any suggestions as to anything i should add?snakebite kit and a tourniquet?defibrillator?
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

on the at its almost impossible to get lost, not so impossible on the bmt, at least to find youve been hiking the wrong trail for 5 or 6 miles.
      as far as first aid, any suggestions as to anything i should add?snakebite kit and a tourniquet?defibrillator?

Snakebite kit:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Snakebite kit:

yecch.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Snakebite kit:

yecch.

You're missing the point. You offer it to the snake and get him too drunk to bite. Then you sit around the campfire and swap stories.

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Snakebite kit:

yecch.

You're missing the point. You offer it to the snake and get him too drunk to bite. Then you sit around the campfire and swap stories.

been almost two years since i swapped stories with a snake.
      actually i did most of the talking.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Snakebite kit:

yecch.

That's the salesman side of you coming out. The snookered snake started snoring when you started expounding on all the details of the benefits of leasing.

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Snakebite kit:

yecch.

That's the salesman side of you coming out. The snookered snake started snoring when you started expounding on all the details of the benefits of leasing.
      he is currently driving a chevy tahoe, with adjustable pedal controls.loves the heated seats.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Snakebite kit:

yecch.

he is currently driving a chevy tahoe, with adjustable pedal controls.loves the heated seats.

Did you pay for his DUI?

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im not a thru hiker.
      im exempt from dumminess.
      aside from which, if i have my survival bracelet, no worries.

A small gun is all that is needed for AT. You will need a really big gun for where you are going. Maybe some traps too.
      i'll leave the guns to the other kids.i have no desire to shoot things.never really saw the challenge of hunting for sport,always felt it was more the hunt than the kill. ill point and shoot, but only with a camera. im deadly with a nikon coolpix at 50 yards.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im not a thru hiker.

A small gun is all that is needed for AT. You will need a really big gun for where you are going. Maybe some traps too.
      i'll leave the guns to the other kids.i have no desire to shoot things.never really saw the challenge of hunting for sport,always felt it was more the hunt than the kill. ill point and shoot, but only with a camera. im deadly with a nikon coolpix at 50 yards.

Okay. I agree. No guns on trail. However, your camera is too light.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im not a thru hiker.

i can paint it black
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im not a thru hiker.

i can paint it black

gif.004

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

disagree. a firearm is a good tool to have

hehehehe you said tool hehehehehe

Stop making me laugh. This is serious stuff here. Hehehehehe

i can see lw rolling his eyes right now thinkin"frickin idiots"
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

True. And he would be correct again.

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

no. i was lookin' for a beavis and butthead episode

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

He yelled at me for using the eye roll emoticon at him once on WB. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

He yelled at me for using the eye roll emoticon at him once on WB. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
      how the fuck did i yell at ya? it's just typin' :lol: