Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h./ft.bastion homesteading

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Not looking good for me to hike entire BMT this spring. I might have 3 weeks off between shows. Trying to rethink what I can do & figure out logistics. Thinking of doing it backward (southbound) Maybe Fontana or Deals to Springer. I"ll know more in a month. So much for easy shuttle arrangements. Anybody have any recommendations? I would be coming in by bus to??? Good news is I'm going back to work for an old crew & will be traveling a limited schedule of shows & be based back east. Working out of WV & I guess living in NH.
    • Re:Re: bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Not looking good for me to hike entire BMT this spring. I might have 3 weeks off between shows. Trying to rethink what I can do & figure out logistics. Thinking of doing it backward (southbound) Maybe Fontana or Deals to Springer. I"ll know more in a month. So much for easy shuttle arrangements. Anybody have any recommendations? I would be coming in by bus to??? Good news is I'm going back to work for an old crew & will be traveling a limited schedule of shows & be based back east. Working out of WV & I guess living in NH.

Maybe a 180 mile BMT AT Smokies loop
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Just wonder if I could get reservations for AT part.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I did last spring. Can't say I followed them very well. Also slept in my tent.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I did last spring. Can't say I followed them very well. Also slept in my tent.

i also did it wrong.
      its all good

Mountain-Mike wrote:

If you are traveling in by bus, the closest station on this side of the Smokies is Knoxville. I don't know how fast you normally hike, but you could get to Spring in 3 weeks and have time to take a day or two off the trail if needed. Its only about 189 miles to Springer from Deals Gap.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I'm an hour and a half from Deals Gap. I'd be happy to pick you up and drop you off as long as I'm not scheduled to work.

And I won't be in town 3/20-3/27
      Lost in the right direction.

Last day of Daytona is March 16th. Figure at least one day to pack up, maybe two if we have several locations. The question is if I have to drive a truck back to WV. Add another day or two depending on if I am hauling a trailer. Then catch a bus & shuttle to trailhead. If I don't have to drive, I could catch a buy right out of Daytona & head to Atlanta.

Rethinking now, I may head to Atlanta either way & head north. If I make good milelage just keep going north for the entire trail. If I have to bail from Deal/Fontana. I can likely find a shuttle to a bs stop since it will be prime hiker season & I might be able to join an AT hiker that is bailing. Another alternative would be bailing on 441 & see if I can get a ride/shuttle.

NB would give me more bail out points with a better chance of finishing the entire trail. Only bummer is I won't get to meet HB or another hiker that will be on the trail. Next show opens April 19, not counting travel & set up time.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Last day of Daytona is March 16th. Figure at least one day to pack up, maybe two if we have several locations. The question is if I have to drive a truck back to WV. Add another day or two depending on if I am hauling a trailer. Then catch a bus & shuttle to trailhead. If I don't have to drive, I could catch a buy right out of Daytona & head to Atlanta.

Rethinking now, I may head to Atlanta either way & head north. If I make good milelage just keep going north for the entire trail. If I have to bail from Deal/Fontana. I can likely find a shuttle to a bs stop since it will be prime hiker season & I might be able to join an AT hiker that is bailing. Another alternative would be bailing on 441 & see if I can get a ride/shuttle.

NB would give me more bail out points with a better chance of finishing the entire trail. Only bummer is I won't get to meet HB or another hiker that will be on the trail. Next show opens April 19, not counting travel & set up time.
      yeah, not very likely i'll run into you as im starting 4/10. :(
      its all good

this winter has killed our business, and i'm way behind how much i thought i would have saved for my hike right now. only halfway there money wise with less than 2 months to launch.so right now, it doesnt look likely i can afford 4-5 months out, unless we see the weather turn and the buyers come out in full force.
      so im thinking more about the bmt, and possibly help sgt rock with some trail building/maintenance while im down there, and not worrying about how far i can hike or whether i can finish the trail this year or not.
      if i cant thru this year, i can definitely set myself up better for 2015, but the fat lady hasnt sung yet.

so if you know anyone looking for a chevy.........
      its all good

Wen my daughter was born I had to trade in my GMC 2500hd. I hated to do that, but had too. I think we are close to trading the minivan back in. For what, I'm not sure. We want a 4x4 with good clearance. We have a Cherokee but it doesn't do to well on the beach at the OBX's. did I mention I miss my truck...
    • Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

I like that Alot. But I need a 2500 unfortunately. I have to be able to pull our Jayco up and down these mountain and the pontoon down to SC for fishing. We started out with the 1/2 tons and ended up killing us in gas when we had to pull. That mountain going up to Asheville is a rough one... We also pull the camper to the beach from Tn. Otherwise it would be a 1/2 ton for sure.

Dmax wrote:

I like that Alot. But I need a 2500 unfortunately. I have to be able to pull our Jayco up and down these mountain and the pontoon down to SC for fishing. We started out with the 1/2 tons and ended up killing us in gas when we had to pull. That mountain going up to Asheville is a rough one... We also pull the camper to the beach from Tn. Otherwise it would be a 1/2 ton for sure.

what was i thinkin? the all new 2015 2500 hd is on the way!!!

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2500hd-heavy-duty-trucks.html
      its all good

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Buy a chevy- fund HB's hike.
      What an entitled freeloader!
      He pencils that in on the sticker, and then at the sit down says.

...tax & tags, minus rebate, collage student, fund HB's hike, transportation...ok that's about it and the grand total is $**,***

its listed on the bill of sale as "hiker prep fee"
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

...tax & tags, minus rebate, collage student, fund HB's hike, transportation...ok that's about it and the grand total is $**,***

hey, a guys gotta earn...dees people gotta buy! :lol:

...if I was you, I'd be sellin girl scout cookies for $4.25 a box, I'd have on my desk the little jar with the three legged dog, guess how many jelly beans, and unicef box....and a guy outside ringin a bell holdin a red can....but that's me.

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

yeah well theyre not buying enough. the weather has been killing us all winter, and financially i am nowhere near where i need to be to hike to maine. right now i can cover about two months, and unless we start rocking and rolling at work, i may have to postpone a full thru until next year, and just hike for a coupla months.the biggest adventure for me this year is the bmt anyway. except for virginia and part of pa, ive already seen the rest of the trail.
      either way, im not a guy who's into a lot of stress, so i'll just keep working till i leave and hike as far as my money will hold out.its all good.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

yeah well theyre not buying enough. the weather has been killing us all winter, and financially i am nowhere near where i need to be to hike to maine. right now i can cover about two months, and unless we start rocking and rolling at work, i may have to postpone a full thru until next year, and just hike for a coupla months.the biggest adventure for me this year is the bmt anyway. except for virginia and part of pa, ive already seen the rest of the trail.
      either way, im not a guy who's into a lot of stress, so i'll just keep working till i leave and hike as far as my money will hold out.its all good.
      That's what I'd do too, I wouldn't want to do a thru-hike and have to worry about money, If I didn't have what I thought I needed to do it up right...I'd just go as far as I could, or save and wait till next year.
      ...but i think you just said that.

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

what day are you leaving?
      my train gets in on 4/9, staying at hiker hostel and starting at springer on my bday 4/10.
      should be in damascus by trail days, maybe sooner.

Here is to you selling/leasing a record number of cars between now and then! :)

Free floor mats!
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

what day are you leaving?
      my train gets in on 4/9, staying at hiker hostel and starting at springer on my bday 4/10.
      should be in damascus by trail days, maybe sooner.

Here is to you selling/leasing a record number of cars between now and then! :)
      thanks astro, but im not sweating it..and ive taken the pressure off myself . i cant do any more than my best every day, and i'll just hike as long as money holds out, hopefully to maine, but if not, i'll just come back and make more money till i can hike again.right now my focus is on the bmt. at present i should be able to get to at least harpers ferry.
      i'll need a good march for me to finish.and still it wont be a thru hike. just two lashs
      its all good

OzJacko wrote:

Nothing wrong with a good lash.
      Two is double the fun!
      If you ever come here I'll crack the whip and make sure you do a pure thruhike.
      I reckon you could do it in about 30 days.
      right now im a bit out of shape. havent hiked much in the past month.hopefully ill get a few hikes in before i leave.it doesnt take me long to get my legs, but i dont want to start completely cold either.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Two is double the fun!
      right now im a bit out of shape. havent hiked much in the past month.hopefully ill get a few hikes in before i leave.it doesnt take me long to get my legs, but i dont want to start completely cold either.

Yeah right!
      You out of shape is like me in Tennessee.
      You'll be fine. Do you good to feel some burn going through Georgia.
      I remember you being politely frustrated at our slow pace. As IM's legs got better I got a chest infection and we were still going slow through the Smokys.
      I'm serious though.
      I know it'll be a while, but make sure the Bib is on your bucket list.
      They won't let you bring Pepe in but he has relatives here.
      49.gif
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Two is double the fun!
      I recommend walking to work every day until you leave.

i think the big can would get me thru the smokies,but either would be cool..that would be great, because i dont remember if you can get cans at fontana village and id prefer not to stop at gatlinburg or cherokee.. as it is im probably going to be carrying 2 large to get there from springer. apparently availability of cans is scarce along the bmt.
      thanks,mm.
      its all good