Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h./ft.bastion homesteading

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Trillium wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Trillium wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im looking forward to the bmt, ......., i dont expect to meet many people on the trail,

I met a hiker doing the BMT on my way to SoRuck. He was hitching into Cherokee so I picked him up and took him to a motel. He just needed a night off the trail.
      right on...way to hook a brother up! :)

Just paying it forward. I had some great people pick me up and take me to town or back to the trail so I am willing to help other hikers out.
      I hear ya. Last summer I got a ride 15 miles from a fella, I had blisters on my feet, and it was much appreciated...and I'll do the same for someone, given a chance. :)

i got my benton mackaye trail guides and i'm psyched.i can now go into overplanning- overdrive.
      lets see, i've got sgt rock's guide, i have these 3 guides,ive got the nat'l geo maps, ive got the postholer maps, ive got map pdf's on my phone thanks to mountain mike.
      the funny thing is, they all complement each other.sgt rock's has much more detail than the other guides,but the other guides are more descriptive, combined give me a pretty good picture of the lay of the land.
      and then there's the maps :)
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

i got my benton mackaye trail guides and i'm psyched.i can now go into overplanning- overdrive.
      lets see, i've got sgt rock's guide, i have these 3 guides,ive got the nat'l geo maps, ive got the postholer maps, ive got map pdf's on my phone thanks to mountain mike.
      the funny thing is, they all complement each other.sgt rock's has much more detail than the other guides,but the other guides are more descriptive, combined give me a pretty good picture of the lay of the land.

I still am wondering if you intend to do the current "official" trail or the newly set out one?
      I am predicting (and recommending) the new one but whichever one you choose, you know it will be wrong.
      :lol:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I still am wondering if you intend to do the current "official" trail or the newly set out one?
      I am predicting (and recommending) the new one but whichever one you choose, you know it will be wrong.
      per sgt rock's comments i'll be following the standard route, as most of the changes wont happen while im out there.i'll be sure to take the road not taken
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

per sgt rock's comments i'll be following the standard route, as most of the changes wont happen while im out there.i'll be sure to take the road not taken

And you can always hike the "new" route sometime in the future. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Think Rock would get mad if I followed him and rearranged his tape?

You could always take it all down and pack it out thinking you were helping someone else who forgot about LNT.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Think Rock would get mad if I followed him and rearranged his tape?

You could always take it all down and pack it out thinking you were helping someone else who forgot about LNT.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Just another "do gooder" doing bad.

resupply is a bit of a challenge. as it is i'll be starting with 6 days of food and 3 cans of fuel.the first couple of days are fairly easy. and i intend to resupply at jack's river country store at watson gap(72.0mi). after that, im not sure yet what to do.i never really know what to expect when a listing says "short term resupply."what makes a resuply short term or long term?arent they the same supplies?
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

resupply is a bit of a challenge. as it is i'll be starting with 6 days of food and 3 cans of fuel.the first couple of days are fairly easy. and i intend to resupply at jack's river country store at watson gap(72.0mi). after that, im not sure yet what to do.i never really know what to expect when a listing says "short term resupply."what makes a resuply short term or long term?arent they the same supplies?

Gut instinct says ST is like gas station with some junk food to hold you over, while LT might in addition have some groceries (Knors, etc.) and fuel.

But yeah, I get your point.

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Gut instinct says ST is like gas station with some junk food to hold you over, while LT might in addition have some groceries (Knors, etc.) and fuel.

But yeah, I get your point.

+1.
      The way I read it - there was something to eat on the spot but nothing to take away and cook.
      Just remember the key things about living.
      You die in minutes from lack of air.
      You die in days from lack of water.
      You die in weeks from lack of food.
      gif.014
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

hikerboy wrote:

right now it looks like id carry another 5-6 days of food to mile 151.4 stay overnight at green cove motel,next resupply would probably be at fontana (mile 197)before the smokies.

You got the plan! Now you just gotta go out and execute and improvise.

And of course as always, have FUN! :cheer:

hikerboy wrote:

right now it looks like id carry another 5-6 days of food to mile 151.4 stay overnight at green cove motel,next resupply would probably be at fontana (mile 197)before the smokies.

From my experience, easier to do early in a hike than later.
      I find don't eat much first few days.
      Hunger kicks in in 2nd week.
      I'm sure you can find some help with a "stash" of resupply somewhere in there.
      Fontana doesn't have the best selection either I think and you will be competing with a lot of AT hikers when resupplying there.
      Once through the Smokys, resupply from Standing Bear onwards is fine.
      Don't rule out a night in Gatlinburg, my favorite trail town,
      It has cheap accommodation, a good outfitter, a cheap hotel, and if you sit on a seat in the main street and watch all the people walking by, it motivates you to get back into the woods.
      gif.002

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

You got the plan! Now you just gotta go out and execute and improvise.

And of course as always, have FUN! :cheer:
      i ll probably change my mind 5 or 6 times by the time i leave. food drops would save a lot of time and let me go lighter.thats my quandary. im not sure of my daily miles till i get out there. it looks like the eorgia section is fairly easy, the middle gets hard and the smokies, about the same as the at. i never like to carry too much food, so thats where i may have a problem with the drops. im setting a conservative time frame, but most likely will be hiking faster than i plan.
      but i dont know that . if i come into another drop still carrying a full days worth of food, it means i'll be starting out with a day too much , then multiply that by 2 or 3 more drops, and ive got one drop too many. i suppose i could bounce it up the trail, but that may not be an option unless im close to a post office.
      or i could be more optimistic and carry and plan less food, and travel faster.
      its all good

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

From my experience, easier to do early in a hike than later.
      I find don't eat much first few days.
      Hunger kicks in in 2nd week.
      I'm sure you can find some help with a "stash" of resupply somewhere in there.
      Fontana doesn't have the best selection either I think and you will be competing with a lot of AT hikers when resupplying there.
      Once through the Smokys, resupply from Standing Bear onwards is fine.
      Don't rule out a night in Gatlinburg, my favorite trail town,
      It has cheap accommodation, a good outfitter, a cheap hotel, and if you sit on a seat in the main street and watch all the people walking by, it motivates you to get back into the woods.
      gif.002

yes, i remember you daniel and army ant carried way too much food the first few weeks.i remeber invisible man eating some terrible meal, i think it ight have been at addis gap when we met blissful and don;s brother,i think it took him 3 hours to get it all down.
      .i stayed at grand prixe motor inn. rasty and i ate at 5 guys burgers.
      i may hit cherokee instead, its closer to the bmt.i
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

overall its 226 miles from davenport gap to damascus, and some 286 miles from springer to davenport gap, hope to hit damscus for trail days..

We hope to see you there HB.
      When is trail days again?

Weekend of May 16, 17, 18.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

overall its 226 miles from davenport gap to damascus, and some 286 miles from springer to davenport gap, hope to hit damscus for trail days..

Who knows I may try to make it.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

overall its 226 miles from davenport gap to damascus, and some 286 miles from springer to davenport gap, hope to hit damascus for trail days..

i made it to damascus last year in 36 days. i expect to do the same or better although im travelling an extra 40 miles. probably wont zero till after the smokies unless the weather really sucks and i just need to dry out(there arent any shelters for most of the bmt)or if i get hurt(also not in my plans)
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Who knows I may try to make it.

We got room for 5 or 6. So far there's 4 of us.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

overall its 226 miles from davenport gap to damascus, and some 286 miles from springer to davenport gap, hope to hit damascus for trail days..

i made it to damascus last year in 36 days. i expect to do the same or better although im travelling an extra 40 miles. probably wont zero till after the smokies unless the weather really sucks and i just need to dry out(there arent any shelters for most of the bmt)or if i get hurt(also not in my plans)

You should have no trouble.
      The rest of us clearly slowed you down last time and the later start should mean less weather issues.
      Someone once told me "the trail will provide".
      You'll be right!
      You're too ornery to have trouble.... ;)

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

You should have no trouble.
      The rest of us clearly slowed you down last time and the later start should mean less weather issues.
      Someone once told me "the trail will provide".
      You'll be right!
      You're too ornery to have trouble.... ;)

yeah, trouble really looks to avoid me.
      things work out.
      always.
      its all good

FWIW, when I short term resupply. That means you can get stuff like snacks or maybe microwave food that is refrigerated or frozen, and usually not a lot of selection and/or quantities. Long Term is stuff that will last. Some Long Term resupply points don't have the greatest selection either.

Something I noticed on my last trip to Fontana a couple of days ago was that the gas station on the corner is also carrying some stuff that I would consider Long Term resupply. They probably get the winter AT hikers that cannot get resupplied at the Village store when it is closed.

I'll let you know how the flagging trip goes, I think if you don't mind going a little slower through that section, that it will be navigable by the end of next week. And PLEASE don't remove the flagging. We have some spring college and Sierra Club groups coming to do some of the work in April, and I don't think I'll be able to get out and direct their efforts. This will help keep them working on the right track.

SGT Rock wrote:

FWIW, when I short term resupply. That means you can get stuff like snacks or maybe microwave food that is refrigerated or frozen, and usually not a lot of selection and/or quantities. Long Term is stuff that will last. Some Long Term resupply points don't have the greatest selection either.

Something I noticed on my last trip to Fontana a couple of days ago was that the gas station on the corner is also carrying some stuff that I would consider Long Term resupply. They probably get the winter AT hikers that cannot get resupplied at the Village store when it is closed.

I'll let you know how the flagging trip goes, I think if you don't mind going a little slower through that section, that it will be navigable by the end of next week. And PLEASE don't remove the flagging. We have some spring college and Sierra Club groups coming to do some of the work in April, and I don't think I'll be able to get out and direct their efforts. This will help keep them working on the right track.

can i get ramen? i can deal with ramen for a few weeks, so long as i have enough nido and can get some protein to throw in along with a lot of snacks.
      its all good