Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hunting

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Are there any bow hunters out there that wear reading glasses? I tried shooting today wearing reading glasses and I believe I may try while hunting. Without the glasses the target is clear but the sight is blurred and over size, with reading glasses the site is clear and distinct but the target blurred, tried it each way and it looks like I'm better off shooting with the glasses.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      Are there any bow hunters out there that wear reading glasses? I tried shooting today wearing reading glasses and I believe I may try while hunting. Without the glasses the target is clear but the sight is blurred and over size, with reading glasses the site is clear and distinct but the target blurred, tried it each way and it looks like I'm better off shooting with the glasses.
      if the target is blurref, just make sure it isn't an odd man out in the woods with a white hankie in his pocket =O
    • odd man out wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Are there any bow hunters out there that wear reading glasses? I tried shooting today wearing reading glasses and I believe I may try while hunting. Without the glasses the target is clear but the sight is blurred and over size, with reading glasses the site is clear and distinct but the target blurred, tried it each way and it looks like I'm better off shooting with the glasses.
      if the target is blurref, just make sure it isn't an odd man out in the woods with a white hankie in his pocket =O
      I cant see the deer, just their white flags....I just shoot at those white flags.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      I went to a BBQ birthday party down on the Pamunkey River and we had pork butts and muskrats on the cooker. Them muskrats looked like big rats. Just goes to show ya we eat almost anything down here in the south.
      chef robert irvine of restaurant impossible went to a restaurant in delaware that served muskrat dinners. he said it was disgusting and told them to stop selling it. they kept it on the menu since that is what they were known for. they have since gone out of business.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      I went to a BBQ birthday party down on the Pamunkey River and we had pork butts and muskrats on the cooker. Them muskrats looked like big rats. Just goes to show ya we eat almost anything down here in the south.
      chef robert irvine of restaurant impossible went to a restaurant in delaware that served muskrat dinners. he said it was disgusting and told them to stop selling it. they kept it on the menu since that is what they were known for. they have since gone out of business.

      Neutria was claimed to be good eatin' down in Lousiana, they tear up levees, but folks caught on quick the neutria don't taste good. They have to pay folks to hunt the critters.

      Gator sausage sells well there, along with some sandwich places in coastal Mississippi. Kinda expensive.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • chief wrote:

      You haven't lived until you've peeled the shell from a balut. If you don't know what a balut is look it up in wikipedia they have some nice pics.
      now to me that's about as gross as eating a soft shell crab sandwich. I love crabs but I just can't eat something that's looking at me while I eat it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      chief wrote:

      You haven't lived until you've peeled the shell from a balut. If you don't know what a balut is look it up in wikipedia they have some nice pics.
      now to me that's about as gross as eating a soft shell crab sandwich. I love crabs but I just can't eat something that's looking at me while I eat it.
      [IMG:http://www.jaypro.com/Images/Products/500x500/SUPER_BATTING_TEE.jpg]
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Drybones wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      In China they will let you pick out your own rodent, snake, fish. Sort of like we do lobster.
      My son spends half his time over there and sends us photos of what he's having for dinner...normally it ruins our dinner, worst was a plate full of worms that looked like live night crawlers.
      "The only thing in China with legs that they don't eat are tables and chairs, and the only thing with wings they don't eat are airplanes." - A former Chinese coworker.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      In China they will let you pick out your own rodent, snake, fish. Sort of like we do lobster.
      My son spends half his time over there and sends us photos of what he's having for dinner...normally it ruins our dinner, worst was a plate full of worms that looked like live night crawlers.
      "The only thing in China with legs that they don't eat are tables and chairs, and the only thing with wings they don't eat are airplanes." - A former Chinese coworker.
      chinese delicacy...

      2,000 miler
    • chief wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      chief wrote:

      You haven't lived until you've peeled the shell from a balut. If you don't know what a balut is look it up in wikipedia they have some nice pics.
      One of the worst three things I've eaten
      So you saw it and ate it anyway? You only have yourself to blame.
      It was on a dare. Not many things worse then a chef to chef eating challenge.

      The pig eyeball was terrible. It was gooey at first then chewing the lens was like eating thick plastic wrap.

      Vietnamese meatballs were the worst. It was like eating a rubber ball flavored with star anise.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

      chief wrote:

      Rasty wrote:

      chief wrote:

      You haven't lived until you've peeled the shell from a balut. If you don't know what a balut is look it up in wikipedia they have some nice pics.
      One of the worst three things I've eaten
      So you saw it and ate it anyway? You only have yourself to blame.
      It was on a dare. Not many things worse then a chef to chef eating challenge.
      The pig eyeball was terrible. It was gooey at first then chewing the lens was like eating thick plastic wrap.

      Vietnamese meatballs were the worst. It was like eating a rubber ball flavored with star anise.
      I'd eat poo pooing earthworms before I ate an eyeball.
    • I had a hunting dog follow me on my hike. He was so sweet and trotted right behind me. I didn't talk to him or encourage him and he eventually turned down a side trail. I really liked having him with me and it got me thinking about having a hiking dog.

      There were a lot of hunters in the area where I was hiking. They were all friendly and would radio the other hunters that I was coming down the trail. There was one section where I hadn't seen hunters for a while. It was real quiet and breezy when all of a sudden I heard a bang. I decided a limb had fallen but started singing just in case. I went around a corner and there was a man squirrel hunting. He was really nice and it turns out his sister and BIL are section hiking the AT.

      Another couple I met were out looking for their dogs. They were missing three of them and had their tracking device out. At first glance, I thought it was a mini bow and arrow...that's what it looked like :). I talked to the lady for quite a while, she was a character. All her hunting dogs were rescues and she loved all of them. Once, they spent four days looking for a missing dog. She also had 5 rescue horses and how she fed all those animals, she'll never know. She said a lot of hikers have been taking collars off the dogs. I told her I had no problems with hunting so she told me how to cook bear meat. Her man was Cherokee Indian and they were salt of the earth people.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I had a hunting dog follow me on my hike. He was so sweet and trotted right behind me. I didn't talk to him or encourage him and he eventually turned down a side trail. I really liked having him with me and it got me thinking about having a hiking dog.

      There were a lot of hunters in the area where I was hiking. They were all friendly and would radio the other hunters that I was coming down the trail. There was one section where I hadn't seen hunters for a while. It was real quiet and breezy when all of a sudden I heard a bang. I decided a limb had fallen but started singing just in case. I went around a corner and there was a man squirrel hunting. He was really nice and it turns out his sister and BIL are section hiking the AT.

      Another couple I met were out looking for their dogs. They were missing three of them and had their tracking device out. At first glance, I thought it was a mini bow and arrow...that's what it looked like :). I talked to the lady for quite a while, she was a character. All her hunting dogs were rescues and she loved all of them. Once, they spent four days looking for a missing dog. She also had 5 rescue horses and how she fed all those animals, she'll never know. She said a lot of hikers have been taking collars off the dogs. I told her I had no problems with hunting so she told me how to cook bear meat. Her man was Cherokee Indian and they were salt of the earth people.
      Get a doberman, they'll be whatever you train them to be, always alert and on guard, friendly but protective.

      Curious....what song did you start singing, if you were in the woods around hunters please tell me it was country and not rap.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I had a hunting dog follow me on my hike. He was so sweet and trotted right behind me. I didn't talk to him or encourage him and he eventually turned down a side trail. I really liked having him with me and it got me thinking about having a hiking dog.

      There were a lot of hunters in the area where I was hiking. They were all friendly and would radio the other hunters that I was coming down the trail. There was one section where I hadn't seen hunters for a while. It was real quiet and breezy when all of a sudden I heard a bang. I decided a limb had fallen but started singing just in case. I went around a corner and there was a man squirrel hunting. He was really nice and it turns out his sister and BIL are section hiking the AT.

      Another couple I met were out looking for their dogs. They were missing three of them and had their tracking device out. At first glance, I thought it was a mini bow and arrow...that's what it looked like :). I talked to the lady for quite a while, she was a character. All her hunting dogs were rescues and she loved all of them. Once, they spent four days looking for a missing dog. She also had 5 rescue horses and how she fed all those animals, she'll never know. She said a lot of hikers have been taking collars off the dogs. I told her I had no problems with hunting so she told me how to cook bear meat. Her man was Cherokee Indian and they were salt of the earth people.
      Get a doberman, they'll be whatever you train them to be, always alert and on guard, friendly but protective.
      Curious....what song did you start singing, if you were in the woods around hunters please tell me it was country and not rap.
      I was listening to Crosby, Stills, and Nash...Wasted on the Way.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • max.patch wrote:

      hunting season starts this weekend in earnest in georgia.

      i'm thinking one of houston astros jerseys and a ballcap would be good hiking apparel.

      here's dwight howard getting ready for a hike.

      [IMG:http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/424/965/73052ced8051e8463a7d4da1134ed98a_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85]
      I actually got one a Orange Astro cap at a game in August just for this reason. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General