Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Smokies stretch- Better to start South or North?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Smokies stretch- Better to start South or North?

We are planning a 6 day hike of the Smokies stretch of the AT next year and would like to know if it’s easier to go North to South OR South to North. Although we are experienced day-hikers (we hike once a week), we are not experienced backpackers and unaccustomed to not having recovery time in between hikes. Needless to say, we’re trying to make it as easy as possible. Thanks in advance for any tips!
    • either direction has one big climb on day one. Fontana dam makes a great starting point. I loved the tricorner knob to Davenport downhill section. I've done that same piece southbound but there was a lot of snow so it was a different experience.

Welcome to the cafe.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Technically speaking, either way is very similar. However, my perceived level of exertion is much less when I hike South, especially from Newfound Gap to Fontana. Given a choice, I'd hike SOBO.

As Rasty said, day one is a climb either direction so depending on your level of fitness, I would make that your shortest day.

The other challenge (for me) is Rocky Top and Thunderhead Mt. between Spence Field shelter and Derrick Knob shelter. The 3ish miles from Spence Field shelter to Russell Field shelter is flat so if you have to add that to the start or end of that section, it's not too bad.

Physically, the easiest way to hike it is to start at Newfound gap and hike north to Davenport Gap, then drive back to Newfound Gap and hike south to Fontana. The disadvantage is you need two cars and it's a lot of driving time...about 2 hrs from NFG to Davenport Gap. One advantage is you can resupply in Gatlinburg and you have a safety net if things aren't going well and you have to bail.

I'm sure you know that you have to make reservations(?) so you should have a back up plan in case you don't get the dates and shelter space you need.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Thanks to you both for your replies and advice! That’s an interesting thought too… never considered starting at Newfound Gap for both directions. I live in Gatlinburg so that makes resupply easy. I might bounce it off the other two hikers… but at same time don’t want to feel like I’m cheating lol.

Yes, we’re planning a year out and plan to make reservations for the shelters fairly soon. In regards to level of fitness, I just hiked LeConte this weekend for the 2ndtime and woke up sore but nothing too bad. I’ve also done three AT stretches in the last year (Fontana to Shuckstack, Charlies Bunion, and Silers Bald). I guess my primary concern was that we’ve only done day-hikes up to this point so waking up after a long hike and doing it all over again will be a new experience. I might start in the spring with some back-to-backs just to get myself into shape.

Thanks guys!
    • dc34 wrote:

Yes, we’re planning a year out and plan to make reservations for the shelters fairly soon.
      you can play around with the system, but you can not make a reservation any earlier than 30 days before your first nite.

(which is totally different than getting a reservation at mt leconte lodge. if you wanted to spend a nite in 2016 you probably needed to be on the telephone on 10/1 when they started taking reservations for next year.)

if you are trying to make it as easy as possible - and you live in gatlinburg - do you have someone who can meet you at newfound with food for the second half of the trip? not necessary to resupply for a 6 day hike, but if this can easily be done by a friend or family member you'll each carry 5 pounds or so less on day 1.

my preference would be to go NOBO and spend the nite at the fontana dam shelter after getting the shuttle done the evening before day 1. of course, living in gatlinburg you may not have to concern yourself with this. (but thats just personal preference. i don't think in terms of easy/hard it makes any difference.)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Some might disagree, but doing it your way so you have the best outcome and the most fun is not cheating.

Funny, I thought about hiking to LeConte yesterday. I've never done it as a day hike.
      park in Gatlinburg and hitchhike to newfound gap and hike to leconte then to Gatlinburg. This is the perfect day hike. I did this two years ago and ran about half of it.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Thanks for the tips! Yea, I guess you're right Traffic... I'll bounce that idea off the others.

Also, thanks for the heads-up Max... didn't realize you couldn't book that far in advance. I guess I just assumed it was like LeConte. Logistics shouldn't be too difficult for me, just looking for the better option for those of us that aren't used to not having recovery time lol.

Right on TrafficJam, I hiked LeConte yesterday and performed a wedding at the top. We were in a cloud up at Myrtle Point, but right as ceremony was concluding the fog lifted and we got great views... kicked back with a glass of wine at the top to celebrate and took our time on the way back down. It was a great day
    • dc34 wrote:

Thanks for the tips! Yea, I guess you're right Traffic... I'll bounce that idea off the others.

Also, thanks for the heads-up Max... didn't realize you couldn't book that far in advance. I guess I just assumed it was like LeConte. Logistics shouldn't be too difficult for me, just looking for the better option for those of us that aren't used to not having recovery time lol.

Right on TrafficJam, I hiked LeConte yesterday and performed a wedding at the top. We were in a cloud up at Myrtle Point, but right as ceremony was concluding the fog lifted and we got great views... kicked back with a glass of wine at the top to celebrate and took our time on the way back down. It was a great day
      Wow! That sounds fun. Now I wish I had gone. What do you call a hiker wedding crasher? :)
      Lost in the right direction.