Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alabama state park closings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alabama state park closings

No idea if this will affect the Pinhoti Trail or not.

Cheaha isn't closing, the lodge and restaurant will only be available on weeknends in winter and fall.

From WKRG tv in Mobile, AL. The state legislature has transferred money from the self-funding parks to make up for short falls in the state budget.

wkrg.com/2015/09/30/5-alabama-state-parks-closing/

quote: The Alabama State Parks System is implementing a new contingency operations plan that will go into effect on October 1 as a result of the Legislative budget cuts for fiscal year 2015-16. This plan includes closure of a number of parks and park operations, reduction in staff and operational hours at additional parks and park facilities, as well as a potential concession operation for one facility and other new approaches to serving the public. Beginning October 15, the following five parks will be closed: Bladon Springs, Paul Grist, Chickasaw, Florala and Roland Cooper. end quote

I added the quote end quote because it may not be obvious I'm quoting the article.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JimBlue ().

• LIhikers wrote:

The good news is that unless a park is so small as to fence it in completely, they can't really "close" it.
      There are people who will hike, and even camp, in a park that is "closed". Please don't ask me who :saint:
      hiking and/or camping in a closed park is illegal.

our TOS prohibits talking about illegal activities.

future posts that endorse illegal activities will be deleted and the appropriate disciplinary action taken.

thank you.

oops...forgot where i was for a moment. never mind. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

The good news is that unless a park is so small as to fence it in completely, they can't really "close" it.There are people who will hike, and even camp, in a park that is "closed". Please don't ask me who :saint:
      hiking and/or camping in a closed park is illegal.
      our TOS prohibits talking about illegal activities.

future posts that endorse illegal activities will be deleted and the appropriate disciplinary action taken.

thank you.

oops...forgot where i was for a moment. never mind. :)
      I don't believe they have the right to close a park. This is our country, not the politburo's.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • JimBlue wrote:

Lots of speeches on several tv stations. I don't think things are better served... if the majority of the Alabama voters cared, the politicians wouldn't try to take money from the park funds.
      In the current times, a politician can get votes by promising to take money from anything. A big segment of the electorate appears to believe that government money spent is money wasted.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • chief wrote:

those 5 parks listed for closure - who cares. nobody goes there, why should they, there's nothing to see, they are only parks because of local politicians pandering to a few tree hugging grannies. close em all.
      Keep in mind that land lost from the public domain is almost always lost forever.
      What would you suggest goes there, another Super Walmart? a shopping center? or a residential community?
      How come a park has to have something to see or any other attraction? I'll suggest that a park could just be a place to get away from crowds and commotion.
    • Last I checked, spending on properly funding public parks usually generates several times as much economic activty in the form of tourist spending for the local economy. Whatever they're cutting they're probably losing just as much in foregone tax revenue. Our idiots in Connecticut are doing the same.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • The state parks in Alabama are all self-funding. They have their own fund and their own revenue stream. The don't get anything from the state legislature/budget thing.

What is happening is that instead of coming up ith a budget, the governor has had 2 special sessions this summer which resulted in nothing being passed, the legislature is siphoning off money from the state parks to cover the lack of funding for the state budget due to their not being a state budget. A state budget was recently passed and signed; however, it 80 million dollars short. So more money was taken from the parks and education. Drivers' license offices have been closed as well.

Likely the legislature will keep this up until there is nothing left of the parks. And tax revenue of tourists who come here to visit the parks drops to zero. Just guessing, but the politicians will probably blame everyone but themselves.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • LIhikers wrote:

chief wrote:

those 5 parks listed for closure - who cares. nobody goes there, why should they, there's nothing to see, they are only parks because of local politicians pandering to a few tree hugging grannies. close em all.
      Keep in mind that land lost from the public domain is almost always lost forever.What would you suggest goes there, another Super Walmart? a shopping center? or a residential community?
      How come a park has to have something to see or any other attraction? I'll suggest that a park could just be a place to get away from crowds and commotion.
      Are those our only choices? I don't think so. BTW, park development is not much different than commercial development. In both cases nature gets trampled on.
    • here is a question. A state goes from issuing drivers licenses that expire in five years to licenses that expire in ten years for all except seniors who continue to have two year or one year licenses. What percentage should be cut from the DMV's budget based on this?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

here is a question. A state goes from issuing drivers licenses that expire in five years to licenses that expire in ten years for all except seniors who continue to have two year or one year licenses. What percentage should be cut from the DMV's budget based on this?
      Trick question...everyone knows seniors can't drive. :D

PooFan
    • LIhikers wrote:

chief wrote:

Keep in mind that land lost from the public domain is almost always lost forever.What would you suggest goes there, another Super Walmart? a shopping center? or a residential community?
      Agree...leave the commercial part off for me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

here is a question. A state goes from issuing drivers licenses that expire in five years to licenses that expire in ten years for all except seniors who continue to have two year or one year licenses. What percentage should be cut from the DMV's budget based on this?
      The answer is they will need a 3.5% increase in the budget because it's 3.5% percent more then they spent last year.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The answer is they will need a 3.5% increase in the budget because it's 3.5% percent more then they spent last year.
      Sad.....but true.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.