Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

BS from Michigan State....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BS from Michigan State....

My thoughts before you read this crap from MS.... They could have asked for a 2" strap which doesn't damage and is accepted in most parks. They could have set up stands as they do here in PA, I heard the Campus Police are handing out $200 fines, and other stupid stuff... read on.

[IMG:https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Hammock-Lounge.png]
      Stressed-out students at an increasing number of universities can forget about catching winks in a hammock, because school officials are more worried about the stress the sling-style bedding puts on trees.

Michigan State University is one of the latest schools to ban hammocking, after determining the rope-and-canvas island staples put too much pressure on trees.

“We’re not anti-hammock," Frank Telewski, a Michigan State plant biology professor and curator of the campus arboretum, told The Wall Street Journal. "We’re anti-tree damage.”

No attachments can be made to trees on the Spartan campus, according to Telewski, who said in an official statement the only exception is for the Red Ribbon Project for World AIDS Awareness Day, when the organizing group puts ribbons on trees and then removes them 24 hours later.

"This includes not locking bicycles or any other portable devices to trees; not tying posters, flags, kites, banners, tents or tarps to trees; not affixing via string, rope, twine, cordage, wire, staples, cable ties, tape, nails, screws or any other type of fastener any sort of signs, posters, bulletins or any other type of flier to trees," reads part of the statement.

Last spring, the school posted “No hammocking, please” signs along the Red Cedar River, which winds through the East Lansing campus and past a grove of century-old pines near the hockey arena. The penalties could range up to $100 fines and even jail time, although no one has been punished yet. A similar ban has been put into place at Auburn University, andofficials at other schools have urged students to stretch their hammocks between freestanding poles, not trees.
      Despite the ban, hammocks are more popular than ever, according to the Journal, with sales having doubled over the past two years.

Several schools have already banned "slacklining," in which webbing with a crank system is attached between two trees and tightened so enthusiasts can practice tight-rope walking.

connections
      foxnews.com/us/2015/09/27/hamm…leeping-over-tree-damage/

patch.com/michigan/dearborn/ha…ll-swing-michigan-state-0
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• I think it was just a matter of time before all this stuff came to light, lets face it a 3/32 piece of amsteel is not the best thing to use for wrapping around a tree, and even though many won't do this, some may. It's just easier for a hovering body to say no to it all than figuring out a happy medium.
    • I went to grad school at MSU (at the Plant Research Laboratory). It is the original Land Grant University (aka Cow College). They have first rate botanic gardens, arboretum, turf grass research institute, and herbarium. Just about every tree on campus is labeled with genus and species. One of the world's longest running science experiments involves the viability of seeds stored in sealed containers at MSU over 100 years ago. Plant science is a bit deal there. I'm not a hammock hanger so I don't know the fact regarding risk to trees, but I'm not surprised MSU would err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting trees.
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Don't worry my school (UCONN) has it's share of idiots too...

8:10 is the perfect moment this asshat realizes that he has ruined his life.
      I read in a number of sites that he was areested last year in Amherst for something equally stupid, so this might be his second school already.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • After my first trip overseas I could spot which guys would get drunk and be brought back to the ship by the Shore Patrol. Some of us got drunk ashore, but didn't get in trouble because we didn't get in fights and were polite even when drunk.

The ones who didn't had led a sheltered life, the trip was their second time away from home. The first time was boot camp. Their parents never let them do anything.

Some learned their lesson. A few got busted a pay grade.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • It's sad yet funny that the USA Today article seems to take greater issue with the kid's use of slurs, rather than the fact that the kid assaulted the manager. The article even avoids describing the encounter as an assault. And that manager showed great restraint.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

It's sad yet funny that the USA Today article seems to take greater issue with the kid's use of slurs, rather than the fact that the kid assaulted the manager. The article even avoids describing the encounter as an assault. And that manager showed great restraint.
      Probably afraid of a lawsuit.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • socks wrote:

I think it was just a matter of time before all this stuff came to light, lets face it a 3/32 piece of amsteel is not the best thing to use for wrapping around a tree, and even though many won't do this, some may. It's just easier for a hovering body to say no to it all than figuring out a happy medium.
      You watched me set up my hammock and took pictures and posted them on WB. The Amsteel is hooked into the web strap and doesn't wrap around the tree... it's not long enough. I am using Amsteel and a 3/4 strap... it doesn't matter to jump into a larger strap. I have never seen anyone not use a good strap at a hammock gathering... Not an issue...

Let's face it... the Emerald Ash Borer is going to kill more trees this year than any dumb hammock-er like me. I still like the way I sleep.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: