Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

socks over diabetic socks ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• socks over diabetic socks ?

I have diabeties and have to wear diabetic socks on my feet. Otherwise it feels like I'm wearing sandpaper... not conducive to hiking. Size 12-14 socks.

diabetic socks are thin and no seams that I can feel with my feet.

So, just wear regular outer socks ? Or some other sock over them ?

Thanks !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JB Yes make sure your DS socks are measured and are the correct compression. I wore them for years on sales floors. Wicking hunter socks are worn over them to decrease pressure on the bottom of feet. I pick mine up at this time from Walmart. Men's dept or Hunters dept. Wicking keeps your feet dry.. also invest in foot powder.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • back when people wore boots instead of trail runners it was common to wear a thin liner sock and a heavier wool/coolmax/polyester blend hiking sock over it.

sounds like your special sock would take the place of the liner sock. just make sure it isn't cotton.

common choices are darn tough, smart wool, thorlo, etc.
      2,000 miler
    • I have several Gold Bond foot powder containers along with a small tube of Glide. Wallyworld not too far away, I'll check them.

I also read in Fletcher's book about using alcohol wipes at the end of the day for feet. And changing into camp shoes and dry socks.

Thanks !
      --
    • max.patch wrote:

back when people wore boots instead of trail runners it was common to wear a thin liner sock and a heavier wool/coolmax/polyester blend hiking sock over it.

sounds like your special sock would take the place of the liner sock. just make sure it isn't cotton.

common choices are darn tough, smart wool, thorlo, etc.

Dr. Scholls. I think they are cotton.
      --
    • I love thorlo socks. Cushin & compression. I haven't tried others since I see no need to. Several years ago when I was introducing my step son to backpacking I ws telling him what he needed. When it came to socks he was going to buy I told him to wait. Said when I picked him up from his dad's we would stop at the Thorlo factory discount store. Later he admitted he thought i sounded crazy about needing the right socks. Once he tried them he was amazed.

I am biased. When a friend that owned a sporting goods store found out I was planning a PCT hike she talked to her suppliers. Her Thorlo rep arraged for me to get two dozen pairs of my choice of socks. I was rotating my socks out so quick I had a waiting list of hikers that wanted my used ones. You know they have to be good if someone want's used socks from a thru-hiker! They are pricy, but worth it. You need to protect your feet!

thorlo.com/

Also on that note: throw out the insoles that come with your shoes/boots & replace with quality ones. I personally like Spenco sorbathane ones, but they are like shoes/boots. What works for one person may not work for others.
    • hikerboy wrote:

thorlos always made my feet sweat. if your feet are exactly like mine, i swear by darn tough socks, expensive but come with a lifetime warranty. i have pairs with a thousand miles on them and theyre still holding up fine.
      Same here. I got a pair of the free Thorlo they give away on their website; damned comfortable socks, but they get funky fast. I normally stick to my merino wool REI socks year round......OD green, cushion sole.....
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • on my recent lash I bought a pair of Cabelas merino wool hiking socks. One is shaped for your left foot and one for your right. Lifetime guarantee and cheaper than darn toughs. So far I really like them. They don't seem to get stiff like my DTs.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I have REI's merino, EMS's fake merino's, Darn tough's, Wright Socks...until the weather gets real cold, I'll walk in the "Wright Socks" and then whatever is clean, there all about the same to me it seems, Except the merinos don't stink after 10 uses like the Wright Socks do.
    • I found a pair of Realtree ultimate mernio wool socks, 1 pair for $10. 70% wool, rest is nylon and polyester.

My relatives suggested Dickies, so I bought 5 pair of work socks. 54% cotton. The rest is polyester and nylon. Says they wick and a 'mesh ventilation channel'.

My medipeds are not cotton. So I can use them as liner socks.

Amazon sells the Darn Tough socks for $20 to $50 per pair. I'll have to wait until next month to buy them.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I found a pair of Realtree ultimate mernio wool socks, 1 pair for $10. 70% wool, rest is nylon and polyester.

My relatives suggested Dickies, so I bought 5 pair of work socks. 54% cotton. The rest is polyester and nylon. Says they wick and a 'mesh ventilation channel'.

Amazon sells the Darn Tough socks for $20 to $50 per pair. I'll have to wait until next month to buy them.
      i wouldn't wear cotton socks. holds moisture which leads to blisters.

that $50 price has gotta be from one of amazon's private sellers hoping to get lucky. your price point for darn tough is $20 plus or minus a bit. personally, i'm waiting for a sale and then i'll load up. note when ordering that different styles may have different thicknesses.
      2,000 miler
    • There's a lot of difference in merino socks even within the same producer, I have 3 pair of no show Smartwool socks I've worn to the gym every day they were clean for probably 3 years and they show no appreciative wear, have 2 pair of Smartwool mid hiking socks I've had maybe a year and not used much until recently I started using them at the gym when the others were dirty, the toes are almost worn through.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I found a pair of Realtree ultimate mernio wool socks, 1 pair for $10. 70% wool, rest is nylon and polyester.

i wouldn't wear cotton socks. holds moisture which leads to blisters.
      that $50 price has gotta be from one of amazon's private sellers hoping to get lucky. your price point for darn tough is $20 plus or minus a bit. personally, i'm waiting for a sale and then i'll load up. note when ordering that different styles may have different thicknesses.
      If you catch a Darn Tough sale, please let me know. :)

The part around my ankles is stretched out on the 3 pairs I wore this summer, and I don't know if their warranty would cover that. Also considering go to gaiters, the loose around my ankles let way too much junk was slipping into my socks.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

either of you guys want yo buy some slightly used DT size large. I now need the xtra large size. $10 a pair.
      Ah, if they were Mediums I would be interested. :(

I have already gone up a full shoe size from hiking. I guess I just need to hike a few more thousand miles and maybe Large would fit. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General