Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What should my next sleeping bag or quilt be

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What should my next sleeping bag or quilt be

Just wanted to post something here to get the section going.

I currently have a Big Agnes Deer Park 30 degree down bag. It's a long and big guy bag, but I am a side sleeper who hates being constricted. I am only 5'8" but have big shoulders (44 jacket), so the bag is for the most part way too big for me, but I don't mind. I have used it down to 25 degrees without being cold, as I just wear a hat, and actually put on long johns when it's that cold. I also burrow down in the bag when it's cold. I won't ever be in weather below 20 or so since I am a CPA and won't get to backpack in the winter.

Anyway, I am trying to decide my next bag/quilt purchase: light summer bag like this, knowing that I sleep warm? https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/pitchpinesl45

vs

an 20 or 30 degree EE quilt like this in wide, which I could use in all 3 seasons, and just stop using the Deer Park? http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product=revx-ready-ship

vs Montbell Super Spiral Down 30

vs

any other suggestions.

Hopefully a good discussion can ensue. Oh yeah, I am also trying to go lighter as I replace or add gear, so that is part of my motivation as well. Thanks!
      First Law of Physics for Backpackers: What goes down must come up.

I am a big fan of the Big Agnes bags. I roll around a lot. Having the air pad pinned in the sleeve is a must for me. Plus the lack of cloth on the back saves weight. There are many other better rated and more expensive bags, but I would stay in the Big Agnes line. All that is left is how warm a sleeper you are and down vs synthetic. Just my humble opinion.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Do you sew at all, Namtrag? I sewed a couple 20 degree Apex quilts for my wife and I and 3 of our kids (two quilts - one for 2 and one for 3). With our individual fleece liners, they performed stellar this past week when temps dropped down into the single digits and low teens. We actually talked about just taking them in Maine next summer without our usual fleece liners to conserve on weight. That makes the quilt about 1 pound per person. Sewing it is quite simple really, especially if you don't do anything fancy like a tapered foot box or draft blockers along the outside. I got fancy on mine and it shows :blush:
      You're doing it ALL wrong!!!

BirdBrain wrote:

I am a big fan of the Big Agnes bags. I roll around a lot. Having the air pad pinned in the sleeve is a must for me. Plus the lack of cloth on the back saves weight. There are many other better rated and more expensive bags, but I would stay in the Big Agnes line. All that is left is how warm a sleeper you are and down vs synthetic. Just my humble opinion.

Yeah, we love our BA stuff too...I never backpacked before and BA is my first bag, so I can't even picture not having my pad in a sleeve. I know the guys I backpack with all talk about sliding off their pads, and I have no idea what they're talking about lol. The thing with BA though is, you have to find it on sale, or it's pricey as hell! I got my Deer Park for $160 believe it or not, at our local outfitter.

FarmerChef wrote:

Do you sew at all, Namtrag? I sewed a couple 20 degree Apex quilts for my wife and I and 3 of our kids (two quilts - one for 2 and one for 3). With our individual fleece liners, they performed stellar this past week when temps dropped down into the single digits and low teens. We actually talked about just taking them in Maine next summer without our usual fleece liners to conserve on weight. That makes the quilt about 1 pound per person. Sewing it is quite simple really, especially if you don't do anything fancy like a tapered foot box or draft blockers along the outside. I got fancy on mine and it shows :blush:

I have never sewed and neither has my wife...we don't even own a machine. Did you sew by hand? Also, my wife once looked into making us down quilts, and she said by the time you paid for the down, it was almost as cheap to buy one from a cottage manufacturer. Is that true from what you've done?

namtrag wrote:

FarmerChef wrote:

I have never sewed and neither has my wife...we don't even own a machine. Did you sew by hand? Also, my wife once looked into making us down quilts, and she said by the time you paid for the down, it was almost as cheap to buy one from a cottage manufacturer. Is that true from what you've done?

I do own a sewing machine but I used Climashield Apex (5oz) for the insulation. It comes in a big roll and all you do is sew up your shell fabric like a pillowcase, stuff the apex sheet inside (like a flat pillow) and then sew the end shut. Easy peasie. In my case, to make it big enough for 2, I had to "sew" together two pieces of apex laid side by side. I just used yarn and hand stitched it loosely so as not to cause the insulation to bunch and thus make cold spots. It was really quite simple. You can order all the supplies from Thru Hiker at reasonable prices or get even better deals on shell fabric seconds elsewhere (when available).

If I had just sewn a one-man quilt it would have been super easy as I would have just used the stock width of the fabric with no sewing to make a seam. Plus the smaller amount of material is a bit easier to manage since it tends to be slippery. Maybe you could find someone who does sew and ask them to help you out with the project. It would probably only be about an hour or two of their time to sew the sleeve for you. Then you could insert the Apex (or insulation of your choice), have them sew it up, and then quilt it (use yarn to keep the insulation from sliding around in your pillowcase). If you start adding features like a velcro or zipper footbox expect a bit more time. We've gotten by by just tucking the bottom foot of the bag under. Roasty toasty.
      You're doing it ALL wrong!!!

I recently got a Mountain Laurel Designs quilt. It weighs just over a pound, is very well made, is rated to get you down around 20 degrees or so with base layer and balaclava, is synthetic, cost about $200.00. I absolutely love it. :cheer: Good luck with your search.
      ................................................................................

Santa is bringing me an EE RevX 10* wide! Is it Christmas yet??? :cheer: I can't wait to try it out.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

My son and I like roomy bags as well.
      I am about 6 foot and my son is 6'5".
      He used a BA Summit Park bag - sister bag to your Deer Park and I used a bag not sold in USA.
      In Damascus we both wanted a lighter bag.
      We both got the WM semi rectangular down bag rated to 40 degrees.
      Can't remember the name but the green one.
      Comes in 3 sizes. Get the big one.
      You can swim in it, it seems that roomy.
      With a liner can go under 40 no worries.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

He used a BA Summit Park bag - sister bag to your Deer Park and I used a bag not sold in USA.

I was eyeballing those bags you had Oz, I need a decent summer bag. I looked them up when I got home from NH......and they are green!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

OzJacko wrote:

It's the MityLite. Army Ant let me check his out in Damascus. Tell him I want to buy his. (cheap) I know, I know - it hasn't been used that much and it's almost in mint condition but I still want it for cheap.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

It's the MityLite. Army Ant let me check his out in Damascus. Tell him I want to buy his. (cheap) I know, I know - it hasn't been used that much and it's almost in mint condition but I still want it for cheap.
      like mine and IM's I don't think it's for sale.
      We love them.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

like mine and IM's I don't think it's for sale.
      We love them.
      dont hotel rooms furnish blankets?
      its all good

WM stuff is a little too pricey for me...maybe if I hadn't already sunk my life savings into the stuff I am replacing, I could have done it! lol

One of my clients says "Buy the best and buy it once," and I wish I had done that.

namtrag wrote:

WM stuff is a little too pricey for me...maybe if I hadn't already sunk my life savings into the stuff I am replacing, I could have done it! lol

One of my clients says "Buy the best and buy it once," and I wish I had done that.
      And your client is correct.....what I think some are saying is....'use what you have until u can get the best piece you can, and then you won't have to worry about it later. You don't need to change everything out for the next trip.

I for one, don't tell folks what to carry or not to carry, I want to go lighter all the time..........but, :) That 2lbs. chair seems a bit heavy! :ohmy:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

That thing is heavy, and the Monarch one sits nicer anyway! So that for sure will be something I switch out if I get an REI gift card for Christmas!!!

And that advice is sound...I think the money already spent may have to be treated as a sunk cost, meaning, it shouldn't be part of the consideration on new stuff.

Then again, most backpackers (substitute golfers, boaters, or any other hobby) like to keep buying new stuff, and it's hard to wait until you save mega bucks for the really good stuff.

I can recommend Montbell bags. I have the older model, the UltraLight,SuperStretch rated for 25 degrees. I got it because I roll around in my sleep a lot. The stretch feature gives me the room to do that, while the 800 down is light weight and compacts to a small package. Also, it keeps me warn to the rated temperature. I would suspect that the Super Spiral model would be just as good.
      In warmer temperatures unzip it and use it as a blanket with a foot box.

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

For a chair I carry half a z lite (the egg crate foam mattress).
      doubles as pillow, doormat for tent and lots of other uses.

OZ I love that piece you gave me!!!!!! I use it for everything. Way better than just rolled closed cell pad! :woohoo:

Hey, I think I got a piece of that same mattress. I think it's the one Oz, AA, and I split at Mountain X-ings.

Merry Christmas to me! I just walked out of Ramsey Outdoor with a WM Ultralite thanks to a $100 gift card and my 10% discount it only cost me $309. It was nice seeing the staff being even more excited about this bag then i was.
      RIAP

namtrag wrote:

Just wanted to post something here to get the section going.

I currently have a Big Agnes Deer Park 30 degree down bag. It's a long and big guy bag, but I am a side sleeper who hates being constricted. I am only 5'8" but have big shoulders (44 jacket), so the bag is for the most part way too big for me, but I don't mind. I have used it down to 25 degrees without being cold, as I just wear a hat, and actually put on long johns when it's that cold. I also burrow down in the bag when it's cold. I won't ever be in weather below 20 or so since I am a CPA and won't get to backpack in the winter.

Anyway, I am trying to decide my next bag/quilt purchase: light summer bag like this, knowing that I sleep warm? https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/pitchpinesl45

vs

an 20 or 30 degree EE quilt like this in wide, which I could use in all 3 seasons, and just stop using the Deer Park? http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product=revx-ready-ship

vs Montbell Super Spiral Down 30

vs

any other suggestions.

Hopefully a good discussion can ensue. Oh yeah, I am also trying to go lighter as I replace or add gear, so that is part of my motivation as well. Thanks!

Me too! I just ordered a Kifaru Woobie. For more serious temps the Wiggy's Freedom Shelter is my bag of choice, especially if there's a chance I'll get dunked. Once you've frozen in saturated down you rethink your choices. No more down for me, Climashield and Lamilite from now on. Lamilite is a beefier, sturdier version of Climashield and what Wiggy's bag are insulated with. Warm even when wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc

BirdBrain wrote:

I tried BA once but was not happy and returned the bag, liked the concept of the sleeve but in reality all the BA bags are heavier than other bags at the same rating, don't understand that, they should be lighter. I bought the Horse Thief 35 degree bag, which was by no means cheap, it was really comfortable in the house but the rating wasn't close, the wife and I both tried it but were cold at 40 degrees, went with the Marmot Atom instead.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

grayblazer wrote:

I'm looking forward to my new down quilt that my wife is making us. Chief Duffy told us about his and we are copying him.We bought about 6 extra large $15 down jackets ar Pennies last spring and turning them into a large quilt.

A TQ and BQ will be my next DIY projects, made two hammocks recently and finished the tarp 1/1/14 and tried it out that night, rained most of the night so I now know the seam sealer works....rain on a shelter is almost as good as rain on a tin roof, slept good.

namtrag wrote:

You wont hear me quote salesmen often, but I take truth where I find it. Years ago I was getting quotes for a very expensive piece of equipment and was leaning toward a German product because it was a little cheaper, a competitor told me "a year from now you'll have forgotten what you paid for that machine but you'll have to live with it every day"...so true. This doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive, just get what you will be happy with long term.

Drybones wrote:

milkman wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

In warmer temperatures unzip it and use it as a blanket with a foot box.

That's what I like about my WM semi-rec bag. I've got just over a month to go before I go out on the trail again.

Where you planning to go?

Ocean to Lake Trail on the FT.

Drybones wrote:

namtrag wrote:

You wont hear me quote salesmen often, but I take truth where I find it. Years ago I was getting quotes for a very expensive piece of equipment and was leaning toward a German product because it was a little cheaper, a competitor told me "a year from now you'll have forgotten what you paid for that machine but you'll have to live with it every day"...so true. This doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive, just get what you will be happy with long term.

Yep! Always better to buy quality once.

A.T.Lt wrote:

Merry Christmas to me! I just walked out of Ramsey Outdoor with a WM Ultralite thanks to a $100 gift card and my 10% discount it only cost me $309. It was nice seeing the staff being even more excited about this bag then i was.

Good score! I bought a WM Ultralite from Backcountry Gear 5 years ago from Backcountry Gear and paid full price. It still remains my most expensive piece of gear. Worth every penny.