Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bears Euthanized Following Encounter with Connecticut Hiker

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bears Euthanized Following Encounter with Connecticut Hiker

" A young black bear that nibbled the leg of a Connecticut hiker last week was shot dead by wildlife officials on Wednesday, drawing criticism from some who believed the hiker intentionally approached the bears to film them.
      Stephanie Rivkin posted videos of the bear encounter on her Facebook page, including a video of one bear displaying signs of agitation and coming close enough to nuzzle her leg.
      The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection stated that the bear, which had been previously tagged, had a history of negative interactions with humans and was euthanized this week.
      “This male bear had a history of aggressive behavior toward humans,” the department stated in apress release. “It was captured, tranquilized and relocated from the perimeter fence at Bradley International Airport in June of this year. Later that month, it attempted to follow a woman into a building in Windsor. In July, it was suspected of entering a home in Granby.” "

outdoorhub.com/news/2015/09/04…ounter-connecticut-hiker/
      its all good
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

At least one of the bears had previously been relocated, and found its way back to suburbia.

I don't think there's a good solution to the problem of building suburbia in bear country. (Short of "Don't Do That!" Suburbia is a real aberration.)
      We build homes in the forest and complain about forest fires.
      We build homes in flood plains and complain about floods.
      We build homes by airports and complain about the noise.
      We build homes by landfills and complain about the smells.
      We build homes on the coast and complain about hurricanes.

It's the American Way

• AnotherKevin wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Uhm, well, it's hard to put a port city anywhere else. New York and New Orleans are where they are for a reason, which unfortunately means that they will both get hammered by the occasional hurricane.
      Yes I know. At least we shouldn't call them natural disasters. Rivers have been flooding for thousands of years and it wasn't a disaster until someone built a bunch of houses in the flood plain.
    • hikerboy wrote:

" A young black bear that nibbled the leg of a Connecticut hiker last week was shot dead by wildlife officials on Wednesday, drawing criticism from some who believed the hiker intentionally approached the bears to film them.
      Stephanie Rivkin posted videos of the bear encounter on her Facebook page, including a video of one bear displaying signs of agitation and coming close enough to nuzzle her leg.
      The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection stated that the bear, which had been previously tagged, had a history of negative interactions with humans and was euthanized this week.
      “This male bear had a history of aggressive behavior toward humans,” the department stated in apress release. “It was captured, tranquilized and relocated from the perimeter fence at Bradley International Airport in June of this year. Later that month, it attempted to follow a woman into a building in Windsor. In July, it was suspected of entering a home in Granby.” "

outdoorhub.com/news/2015/09/04…ounter-connecticut-hiker/
      It was a good bear as it's record proves... four arrests and no convictions. I would've pleaded the 5th commandment.
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Uhm, well, it's hard to put a port city anywhere else. New York and New Orleans are where they are for a reason, which unfortunately means that they will both get hammered by the occasional hurricane.
      That's why humans are trying very hard to euthanize them.
      Hey, wait a second.. I'm not like that bear. I was successfully relocated from New York City years ago and haven't been hit by a hurricane since! Keep that veterinarian away from me!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • The bear in question was well known to DEEP officers, it had already been relocated once this year due to aggressive behavior, which is where the second ear tag came from. They made the decision to euthanize it based on the behavior the bear exhibited in the the video and not based on the woman's statement. After reviewing the bear's behavior state biologists determined that it was exhibiting rare predatory behavior towards humans.
      Also this didn't happen in wilderness, this was a popular level walking trail
      in a wooded suburban area.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • hikerboy wrote:

its hard to build cities anywhere. if its not hurricanes its tornadoes, windstorms mudslides earthquakes drought.crime. guns. cops some lives matter others matter more or less.
      we should abandon the concept of cities and go back to hunter gatherer society.
      find me a mastadon!!
      Huh? HB honest when has a Hurricane hit London? America has some interesting weather. Europe not so much... Most cities require a unique successful infrastructure & commerce and something you may or may not have heard about-Bed Rock. Hense the Bed Rock which is easy to find in Manhattan is too deep on Long Island. Hense no skyscrapers, per say.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

its hard to build cities anywhere. if its not hurricanes its tornadoes, windstorms mudslides earthquakes drought.crime. guns. cops some lives matter others matter more or less.
      we should abandon the concept of cities and go back to hunter gatherer society.
      find me a mastadon!!
      Huh? HB honest when has a Hurricane hit London? America has some interesting weather. Europe not so much... Most cities require a unique successful infrastructure & commerce and something you may or may not have heard about-Bed Rock. Hense the Bed Rock which is easy to find in Manhattan is too deep on Long Island. Hense no skyscrapers, per say.

what are you talking about? bedrock? north america has many conditions unique to north america is my point, with very few areas that are "natural disaster' immune. i forgot to add wildfires.
      why are you talking about manhattan and long island ?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK one more time successful (Modern) cities require - infrastructure-a flow of goods and people and bedrock to build up! (Skyscrapers) cant build on mud or sand.
      ok. one more time. whats your point?
      Contemplate this over the weekend... I am sure you have lots to think about....

You said:
      its hard to build cities anywhere. if its not hurricanes its tornadoes,
      windstorms mudslides earthquakes
      we should abandon the concept of cities

[IMG:http://www.review.hk/typo3temp/pics/Manhattan-Review-Midtown-Skyline_25_5af6fa3364.jpg]
      Manhattan

Long island

[IMG:http://licpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Rockrose-rendering.jpg]

Back to Bears.

• hikerboy wrote:

ponder this.the coastline will be underwater 100 years from now.historically cities were ports first.
      Coastlines change and I have an understanding of Plate Tectonics from High School (Required for SAT in 1979). At the time it was more than 45% of the science part.

While New Orleans may be sinking that's not the same for everywhere else. New Jersey was a sea bed a very long time ago. Cape May is disappearing. IF you really want to know it not sea level rise... its about the plate sinking or wearing away... Hense don't build on sand.

have a good night - Enjoy the smoke.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

ponder this.the coastline will be underwater 100 years from now.historically cities were ports first.
      Coastlines change and I have an understanding of Plate Tectonics from High School (Required for SAT in 1979). At the time it was more than 45% of the science part.
      While New Orleans may be sinking that's not the same for everywhere else. New Jersey was a sea bed a very long time ago. Cape May is disappearing. IF you really want to know it not sea level rise... its about the plate sinking or wearing away... Hense don't build on sand.

have a good night - Enjoy the smoke.
      or in flood prone river valleys, or earthquake zones, or tornado alley.or near forests.
      its all good
    • LIhikers wrote:

Another case of officials expecting wild animals to act politely and reasonably in society.
      I don't know what the right thing to do is, but killing the beast seems like it should be a very last resort.
      Should've relocated said bear to Central Park.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Another case of officials expecting wild animals to act politely and reasonably in society.
      I don't know what the right thing to do is, but killing the beast seems like it should be a very last resort.
      Or maybe to the bear cage in the zoo at Bear Mountain, NY.
      yup, put him in jail... Three hots and a cot w/ the potential for some nookie nook.
    • socks wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Or maybe to the bear cage in the zoo at Bear Mountain, NY.
      yup, put him in jail... Three hots and a cot w/ the potential for some nookie nook.
      If two inmates fall deeply in love,
      do they finish eachother's sentences?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Yes I know. At least we shouldn't call them natural disasters. Rivers have been flooding for thousands of years and it wasn't a disaster until someone built a bunch of houses in the flood plain.

The Army Corps of Engineers channelized the Mississippi River by putting up levees. The annual flooding brought nutrients to farm land along the river. With the levees, all that water goes down river and hits New Orleans.

Just up river from New Orleans is a flood dam. If the city is threatened by river flooding, that dam is opened.

Unfortunately that has two side effects. 1) farm land west of New Orleans gets flooded. People have died to. 2) the marsh land ni that area also gets flooded, and reduces the number of shrimp and crawfish.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

odd man out wrote:

The Army Corps of Engineers channelized the Mississippi River by putting up levees. The annual flooding brought nutrients to farm land along the river. With the levees, all that water goes down river and hits New Orleans.

Just up river from New Orleans is a flood dam. If the city is threatened by river flooding, that dam is opened.

Unfortunately that has two side effects. 1) farm land west of New Orleans gets flooded. People have died to. 2) the marsh land ni that area also gets flooded, and reduces the number of shrimp and crawfish.
      ...and increases the nutria habitat, there by further reducing vegetation and soil, and increasing flooding further.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Old Man River hasn't forgotten that the Atchafalaya is his, and one of these years he's going to take it back.

One Cajun friend of mine replied to that, "Great! We'll have a deep-water port!" That's the N'Awlins attitude for you.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Old Man River hasn't forgotten that the Atchafalaya is his, and one of these years he's going to take it back.
      One Cajun friend of mine replied to that, "Great! We'll have a deep-water port!" That's the N'Awlins attitude for you.
      Sometimes you just gotta adapt and overcome making lemonade out of your lemons.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK one more time successful (Modern) cities require - infrastructure-a flow of goods and people and bedrock to build up! (Skyscrapers) cant build on mud or sand.
      use friction piles
      A contractor that did work for me once said he had used 100 foot deep pylon footings to build a mall.
      it is amazing what you can build on. The Newport News shipyard is built on some of the worst crap have ever seen. Everything there is built on deep pile foundations.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Old Man River hasn't forgotten that the Atchafalaya is his, and one of these years he's going to take it back.One Cajun friend of mine replied to that, "Great! We'll have a deep-water port!" That's the N'Awlins attitude for you.
      Sometimes you just gotta adapt and overcome making lemonade out of your lemons.
      Or tequila from your cactus...
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

use friction piles
      A contractor that did work for me once said he had used 100 foot deep pylon footings to build a mall.
      it is amazing what you can build on. The Newport News shipyard is built on some of the worst crap have ever seen. Everything there is built on deep pile foundations.
      This guy gave me an interesting education on the many different kinds of clay in MS, he said it can get so moist it can flow under the roads, that's why MS roads are as bad as northern roads that suffer from ice. We had $100,000 budgeted every year for concrete repair on the lumber yard, I jumped off in a 4' deep hole they had dug for a concrete repair and the clay would just squish under my feet at that depth...like silly putty.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.