Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

shi**y music

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't know this one, which is odd as I generally follow celtic music. In fact we are "attending" a Natalie McMaster concert online tonight. I Googled the original rather than spend time on the cover. I tend to like unconventional Christmas songs like this. I guess a little catharsis seems more genuine to me than an overdose of superficial peace and good. For example "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", in it's pre-sanitized version, is about a family having a horrible Christmas. Also "I'll Be Home for Christmas" was a WWII song about not being home for Christmas. But my favorite is "Rebel Jesus" by Jackson Browne. He does it with the Chieftains on one of the all time great Christmas albums (link below). It starts nice enough but by the end of the second verse we find he has a dim view on the hypocrcy of modern "Christians". In the third verse he really sticks it to you. In the end he apologizes and finished a bit more upbeat, but the message has been delivered.

<media> </media>