Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Obama Calls for Public-Private Investment in National Parks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Obama Calls for Public-Private Investment in National Parks

President’s Proposed National Park Centennial Package Would Provide Major Funding Solutions for Projects, Engage Youth for 100th Anniversary of Park System

WASHINGTON – President Obama today submitted a legislative proposal, titled the National Park Service Centennial Act, to Congress to better address critical maintenance and improvement projects in our national parks. The proposal, if enacted by Congress, will help pay for key issues facing our parks, from addressing the mounting maintenance backlog to connecting youth to our parks.

npca.org/news/media-center/pre…nnial-challenge-fund.html
      its all good
    • Without McKinley there is no Theodore Roosevelt and then with no TR no National Parks.

I compare this to Gene Michaels as Yankee GM trying to remove Babe Ruth's Statue and any references to him at Yankee Stadium.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Without McKinley there is no Theodore Roosevelt and then with no TR no National Parks.

I compare this to Gene Michaels as Yankee GM trying to remove Babe Ruth's Statue and any references to him at Yankee Stadium.
      well now, theres a rear view mirror justification for you.wasnt babe ruth a yankee?

huffingtonpost.com/entry/mckin…_55e5ef2fe4b0c818f61954a5
      its all good
    • Funny enough, I've always heard the mountain referred to as Denali. I knew the official name was McKinley, but it seems like nobody bothers with it.

Besides Denali is a much cooler word, I don't think that GM would ever make a Yukon McKinley edition...
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Funny enough, I've always heard the mountain referred to as Denali. I knew the official name was McKinley, but it seems like nobody bothers with it.

Besides Denali is a much cooler word, I don't think that GM would ever make a Yukon McKinley edition...
      I have also always called it Denali. I like the native words. We have a lot of native American names for things where I live.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Funny enough, I've always heard the mountain referred to as Denali. I knew the official name was McKinley, but it seems like nobody bothers with it.

I have also always called it Denali. I like the native words. We have a lot of native American names for things where I live.
      That's interesting, cause we have a lot of names for President Obama where I live.
    • socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

That's interesting, cause we have a lot of names for President Obama where I live.
      Yeah, but most of them are probably
      positive. :P
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Yeah, but most of them are probablypositive. :P
      I've already listed ten, but the filter red flagged em.
      ...this is a blue state of affairs. ;)
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

This may actually be the first intelligent thing he has done in two terms.
      There's something rotten in Denmark.

True enough...

Even though environmentalists welcome the President's focus, some conservationists have accused Obama of climate hypocrisy, citing the recent approval for Royal Dutch Shell to begin oil and gas drilling in the Chukchi Sea off of Alaska's northwest coast. Also of concern to climate change activists is the administration's looming decision on the Keystone XL pipeline.

The President defended the decision in favor of Shell's application as part of a balanced energy approach which he describes as the development of domestic resources of oil and natural gas until more sustainable, alternative fuel sources become the norm.

* cough * cough * Bullsheet!

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • Astro wrote:

On the other hand he has absolutely no business trying to rename Mount McKinley! :thumbdown:

I disagree. It's in Alaska and they want it RE-named Denali so it should be named Denali.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

More importantly why is this not in the political thread? HB? This doesn't belong here and maybe a Non Sequitur.
      Because it's not political. It's about National Parks, you know, those things that it's kinda hard to hike a long trail without passing through at least one of.....
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • hikerboy wrote:

it cracks me up when some of you go off about state rights and then when alaskans have been fighting for 30 years to get the name changed you think its some sinister plot.
      what the heck does mckinley have to do with either alaska or denali ? if ohio gets all bent out of shape, rename lake erie

Tough one, there... Are we going to rename the many other areas that Native Americans had names for before we (or the Vikings before us, or the Chinese before them) got here?

I think I understand the argument for the name change, but doesn't the act of doing so set an interesting precedent?

Like many other things in our history, by letting this one go, where do we stop? What now, when the argument comes about the native names of many other areas in our country? How many times do we say no and, when this example arises, we simply claim that this, "was different" before we finally tip our hand and have to admit to the world that (once again) our illustrious leaders are simply self-serving hypocrites?

IMHO:

I bear no intentional ill will towards Native Alaskans, but this decision to change the name is just another (in a long line) that gives a nod towards appeasements (which we don't really plan to offer) and opens up the road for litigation and debates that will further consume the courts and federal funds without ever having a prayer of being resolved for many years to come. This decision (and its outcome) are nothing more than a political-grandstanding, self-serving maneuver that bore no interest in the greater good for the greater amount of our country. It simply opened another door that can never be easily closed again.

For the record, however, I think Denali is a way cooler name!

* I'm not asking because I stand even remotely near any party line. All politicians are scum by definition, and anyone who believes anything that ANY politician says should lose the right to vote, the right to bear arms, the privilege of driving, and pretty much any other right or privilege that could harm someone else. The parties themselves created all the red & blue crap to help align supporters better, and electromagnetic blackholes (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.) have simply perpetuated that crap ever since for the very same reasons.

And as far as Ohio getting all bent out of shape... Brother, that ship sailed long before either one of us was born. This is one screwed up state! :D

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • Foresight wrote:

I disagree. It's in Alaska and they want it RE-named Denali so it should be named Denali.

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but doesn't this big hill reside in a National park? If it was a state park that might be different. I'm all about state's rights, but this is an issue with much broader implications for our nation-at-large. Compare this to other semi-recent decisions, i.e., marriage laws or certain herbal legalization's. Those (IMHO) are terrific examples of state issues in which the feds have no business poking their nose. But this involves land and a landmark, not just morals or ideals.

I have no care of the name either way (well, maybe a little, cause I think Denali sounds way cooler) but the issue itself has a potential for much broader complexity than just a name.

• g00gle wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

it cracks me up when some of you go off about state rights and then when alaskans have been fighting for 30 years to get the name changed you think its some sinister plot.
      what the heck does mckinley have to do with either alaska or denali ? if ohio gets all bent out of shape, rename lake erie
      Tough one, there... Are we going to rename the many other areas that Native Americans had names for before we (or the Vikings before us, or the Chinese before them) got here?

I think I understand the argument for the name change, but doesn't the act of doing so set an interesting precedent?

Like many other things in our history, by letting this one go, where do we stop? What now, when the argument comes about the native names of many other areas in our country? How many times do we say no and, when this example arises, we simply claim that this, "was different" before we finally tip our hand and have to admit to the world that (once again) our illustrious leaders are simply self-serving hypocrites?

IMHO:

I bear no intentional ill will towards Native Alaskans, but this decision to change the name is just another (in a long line) that gives a nod towards appeasements (which we don't really plan to offer) and opens up the road for litigation and debates that will further consume the courts and federal funds without ever having a prayer of being resolved for many years to come. This decision (and its outcome) are nothing more than a political-grandstanding, self-serving maneuver that bore no interest in the greater good for the greater amount of our country. It simply opened another door that can never be easily closed again.

* I'm not asking because I stand even remotely near any party line. All politicians are scum by definition, and anyone who believes anything that ANY politician says should lose the right to vote, the right to bear arms, the privilege of driving, and pretty much any other right or privilege that could harm someone else. The parties themselves created all the red & blue crap to help align supporters better, and electromagnetic blackholes (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.) have simply perpetuated that crap ever since for the very same reasons.

And as far as Ohio getting all bent out of shape... Brother, that ship sailed long before either one of us was born. This is one screwed up state! :D

alaskan lives matter.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

g00gle wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

IMHO:

alaskan lives matter.
      all lives matter :D
    • socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

g00gle wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Tough one, there... Are we going to rename the many other areas that Native Americans had names for before we (or the Vikings before us, or the Chinese before them) got here?I think I understand the argument for the name change, but doesn't the act of doing so set an interesting precedent?

IMHO:

alaskan lives matter.
      all lives matter :D
      How dare you say that....apologize right this minute.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Foresight wrote:

It was named Denali LONG before it suddenly took up residence in a "National Park".

And this wonderful land we currently live on was called something else long before our ancestors took up residence here... :thumbup:

hikerboy wrote:

alaskan lives matter.

I agree 100%. I never said or implied otherwise.

I only expressed concern over where we draw the line after establishing politically-motivated hollow gestures with potential long-term implications. :thumbup:

• g00gle wrote:

Foresight wrote:

It was named Denali LONG before it suddenly took up residence in a "National Park".
      And this wonderful land we currently live on was called something else long before our ancestors took up residence here... :thumbup:

hikerboy wrote:

alaskan lives matter.
      I agree 100%. I never said or implied otherwise.

I only expressed concern over where we draw the line after establishing politically-motivated hollow gestures with potential long-term implications. :thumbup:
      i do agree with you to an extent-the extent that the state has been asking for this change for decades. i think it merits the change without nefarious implications, which ,btw, are designed to take our minds off more important issues
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

i think it merits the change without nefarious implications, which ,btw, are designed to take our minds off more important issues

Just to be clear (I'm often not good at that, especially when typing stuff) my suggestion about potential implications are less nefarious and more administrative, etc. Just wondering who we say yes to and who we say no to (and why) when the next similar issue arises. Other than that, like I said, I like Denali better anyway.

However, if by nefarious you mean something more conspiratorial, well, my tin-foil hat is actually out for repairs (found an outfit down in Langley that looked a little suspicious, but they offered to upgrade the foil for free) and I don't have those conversations without protection - so we'll have to pick this back up when my upgrade gets here. :D

• Took me about 10 years but it's Uluru for me.
      Although it was originally spelled Uluhru if my memory serves me well.
      There's never consistency in the spelling of words from a language that never had a written form.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • odd man out wrote:

Now if we can just come up with a real name for K2. There's a mountain in need of a name.

i suppose we could rename it mt mckinley

it already has several:

K2, also known as Chhogori/Qogir, Ketu/Kechu, and Mount Godwin-Austen(Native Balti name:Chhoghori)(Balti/Tibetan scrpit: ཆོ་གོ་རི) (Urdu: چھوغوری ),[2]

Mount Everest, also known in Nepal as Sagarmāthā and in Tibet as Chomolungma
      its all good