Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thin Gortex Socks or thin socks for trail runners

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thin Gortex Socks or thin socks for trail runners

I wrote this over at the other site... I have many years of thin color microfiber socks for menswear, but never ever used them on the trail - if you guys wear thin socks hiking other than summer, I am all ears...

"Here is some honest advice, and I agree with most of the posts above hit the trails now and test out your theory. But know this - I have been hiking since I was ten - that's some 40 years, my recent new Podiatrist, told me there is 0 fat in the pads of my feet - Long term a Smart wool thick sock (polypropylene) mixed with other fibers and zero cotton is the way to go, it adds the cushion we need. Many here hang on to their socks and shoe's way too long... It is not unheard of that trail runners last 1/3 the trip of the AT - New Balance wears out quick two! I replaced mine when the tread disappeared - that was annually. This thin sock/Gortex has me in knots... I don't get it - I am clearly old school.
      Its your feet - go forth...."
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

I wear thick Darn Tough socks with light New Balance trail runners. My brother-in-law wears thin sock liners with heavy waterproof Alolo boots. I don't get his preference. I don't have to either. His feet. I know what works for me.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Smartwool, thin socks with trail runners

Keen sandals - Without socks, in case you were wondering. :lol:
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

One reason I asked the question, I heard Sgt Rock maybe wearing and buying these $60 Gortex Socks for hiking,,, Haven't had a chance to ask him what he thought.

http://www.campmor.com/rocky-gore-tex-socks-1.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=19988BLK10M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

I got 2 pair of insulated gotex socks many, many years ago from Cabelas and to this day I can actually stand in water without them getting wet inside. I'm not talking about 10 or 12 hours straight or anything, they have never been tested like that but
      I can walk in and out of water all day and feet stay dry. I just used them back in Feb. pulling maint. on the FT. I'll bet they're better than 20 years old.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

One reason I asked the question, I heard Sgt Rock maybe wearing and buying these $60 Gortex Socks for hiking,,, Haven't had a chance to ask him what he thought.

http://www.campmor.com/rocky-gore-tex-socks-1.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=19988BLK10M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

I have a pair of the Rocky Gortex Socks. Love them! They make my light trail runners into waterproof boots. Only wear them when rain is imminent.