Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Just Another Reason I Like Aussie's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just for the record, I already have enough guns, don't carry the ones I do have, don't feel threatened even though there's a lot of crap going on in the world, I've given a lot of them to the kids already, I now buy guns as an investment to hand down to the kids and grandkids and hope they have as many enjoyable days in the woods as I did, my most memorable days with my father were in the woods and fields hunting......and I hate like hell someone telling me how to manage my affairs!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I should add that here we rarely "hunt".
      We go shooting.
      Usually on the back of utes (pickups) with spotlights.
      We shoot animals standing blinded by the light. It's not a sport. It's an execution.
      Except for rabbits. Rabbits are fun.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I had heard that someone imported rabbits into Australia and now they are as widespread as rats in the rest of the world.
      Yeah some stupid poms let some rabbits and foxes loose for sport.
      They are now a plague.
      Early in the 20th century the rabbits were like carpet. Devastating.
      We use a lot of poison against them. Mostly ones we refer to as 1080. Based on some native plant I believe. Harmless to indigenous fauna. Bloody rabbits keep developing immunity so they have to keep tweaking it.
      One of the biggest reasons to not take your dog into the forest is they drop 1080 laced meat into the forest from planes. There could be one sitting on the edge of the trail.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I had heard that someone imported rabbits into Australia and now they are as widespread as rats in the rest of the world.
      Yeah some stupid poms let some rabbits and foxes loose for sport.They are now a plague.
      We use a lot of poison against them. Mostly ones we refer to as 1080. Based on some native plant I believe. Harmless to indigenous fauna. Bloody rabbits keep developing immunity so they have to keep tweaking it.
      One of the biggest reasons to not take your dog into the forest is they drop 1080 laced meat into the forest from planes. There could be one sitting on the edge of the trail.
      You know, if everyone down there had guns, you'd be able to just shoot all the rabbits. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Far too many for guns.
      Google Australian rabbit plague. I am sure you will see some footage that will amaze you.
      Poison and disease is the only answer.
      Latest thing is basically a rabbit flu. Calici virus.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Far too many for guns.
      Google Australian rabbit plague. I am sure you will see some footage that will amaze you.
      Poison and disease is the only answer.
      Latest thing is basically a rabbit flu. Calici virus.
      I just found this documentary on it, looks like guns really are useless... ^^

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • OzJacko wrote:

LOL
      I was expecting the Monty Python rabbit from the Holy Grail movie.
      Night of the Lepus is one of those classic bad "B" movies from the 1960's. It's the kind that you can enjoy watching but at the same time you can walk out of the room, walk back in ten minutes later and not have missed anything important in the plot.
    • socks wrote:

I like Aussies cause they gave us, Vegemite, the boomerang, they babysit many of the planets nastiest snakes, and they gave us "Mick Dundee...from Australia" Olivia too. And cause they like to drink, fight and cuss.
      I'll add...in my experience Aussie C-130 aircrews routinely can hit a drop zone on time and dead on anywhere in the world.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

I like Aussies cause they gave us, Vegemite, the boomerang, they babysit many of the planets nastiest snakes, and they gave us "Mick Dundee...from Australia" Olivia too. And cause they like to drink, fight and cuss.
      I'll add...in my experience Aussie C-130 aircrews routinely can hit a drop zone on time and dead on anywhere in the world.
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

The C-130 is one of my favorite planes, so versatile.

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

• OzJacko wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Yeah some stupid poms let some rabbits and foxes loose for sport.They are now a plague.
      cracked.com/article_22802_5-co…-everything-worse_p2.html
    • socks wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

I'd like to have one of those to quail hunt with.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

I'd like to have one of those to quail hunt with.
      Quail patee'

...all in to shot
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Yeah some stupid poms let some rabbits and foxes loose for sport.They are now a plague.Early in the 20th century the rabbits were like carpet. Devastating.
      You know, if everyone down there had guns, you'd be able to just shoot all the rabbits. :D

Documentary I saw years ago mentioed hunters were hired, they couldn't keep up with the rabbit population boom.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

LOL
      I was expecting the Monty Python rabbit from the Holy Grail movie.
      Night of the Lepus is one of those classic bad "B" movies from the 1960's. It's the kind that you can enjoy watching but at the same time you can walk out of the room, walk back in ten minutes later and not have missed anything important in the plot.
      Saw it in the original movie theater release. We thoguht it wasn't believable.

But then neither was the 'giant killer shrews !' in a movie a few years before that.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Foresight wrote:

And I work in a plant that only has CNN on the TV's in the break room and you can't turn it off. Having to listen to brits slam America all night doesn't make me very tolerant of Aussie commentary on our Constitution :D

Fist bump extended...lest share swine :thumbsup:
      Very sorry to hear that. Offer to buy the Flat Screen and take it home. - I had a similar experience, They had a raffle at a restaurant and in spite of numerous complaints to get rid of the "missing plane" for one month the owner could not be convinced to change the channel - Well the raffle was over a 60 inch curve HD & pure digital large screen - the guy who won really thought it thru. He said that's wonderful, Guess what Mike (the owner) I will let you keep this TV if you mount it on the wall and never show CNN again... They shook hands. It was football season... last year.

Winning!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Dave posted this on a blog five years ago... why the world loves Aussies.......

"People" like Australia because it's different to everywhere else in
      the world. The climate is fantastic, the huge island has everything from
      tropical rainforests, to deserts, to country roads, mountain ranges,
      beautiful beaches, bustling cities and quaint country towns. It's a
      multicultural nation with such a huge array of people from all different
      cultures, religions and backgrounds who bring a wide variety of skills
      and culinary delights to share. There are so many opportunities for
      people who live in Australia to learn, grow, start a family, start their
      own business and live a great life free from much of the war,
      intolerance and racism experienced in many other countries around the
      world.

Australia has strict immigration policies for a three main reasons;
      1) To protect the environment and quality of life for those who already live and work here.
      2) To ensure that those who want to come to Australia have the skills
      and training that we need to fill the specific shortages we are already
      experiencing here (particularly in medicine related fields).
      3) To avoid (as best as we can) an unsustainable population boom when we
      have a lack of infrastructure to cater for new immigrants to our
      country (look at parts of China, India and Bangladesh slums for an
      example of poor infrastructure to cater for extreme population growth).

Australians are generally a hardworking lot, I certainly wouldn't
      describe any Australian I know as lazy or idle. Sometimes (on certain
      issues like politics) many Australians can become apathetic but we
      currently have a very low unemployment rate of around 5%. While there
      certainly are sections of the community that come to Australia and cause
      trouble, these are in the minority and unfortunately some immigrants or
      refugees (notably from Lebanon or Sudan) have received some negative
      attention in the news for their perceived violent or criminal actions.

But here in Australia, we don't discriminate on where you are coming
      from... we have the right to chose who we want in our own country based
      on what benefit you can offer our society by being here. In return we
      will offer immigrants a much better way of life. I happen to think that
      this is a very reasonable policy and should perhaps be strengthened even
      further for the three reasons I have outlined above. Certainly people
      from Europe are welcome to apply to come to Australia, but they have to
      go through the same processes as everyone else.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • socks wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

[/media
      As a ground observer of an AC-130 mission, I viewed a strike on a building filled with bad guys but surrounded by civilian facilities. The trick was to place rounds in the building without collateral damage. The aircraft commander selected ammo with a low power explosive force and time delay fusing. Incoming rounds fired at a high angle penetrated the building roof and a couple of floors and detonated. The result was lots of neutralized bad guys but hardly a broken window in the surrounding buildings.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • While we don't have nukes or the really impressive hardware, all of our armed forces pride themselves at being at least the equal of the best in the world.
      Our SAS (Special Air Services) are as tough and "can do" as any commando type force.
      We're small in number, but not to be underestimated.
    • OzJacko wrote:

While we don't have nukes or the really impressive hardware, all of our armed forces pride themselves at being at least the equal of the best in the world.
      Our SAS (Special Air Services) are as tough and "can do" as any commando type force.
      Does your government allow them to use guns? :D

(Sorry I couldn't help myself)
    • Dan76 wrote:

As a ground observer of an AC-130 mission, I viewed a strike on a building filled with bad guys but surrounded by civilian facilities. The trick was to place rounds in the building without collateral damage. The aircraft commander selected ammo with a low power explosive force and time delay fusing. Incoming rounds fired at a high angle penetrated the building roof and a couple of floors and detonated. The result was lots of neutralized bad guys but hardly a broken window in the surrounding buildings.

The second AC-130 in a wing always gets through to the target...
      ... because the crew of the AAA battery are too busy slapping each other on the back for blowing the first one away.

No, seriously, the Herk is a great airplane. I see the last remaining LC-130's fly over my house all the time because I'm under the pattern for Stratton ANGB. They have an incredible service record in Antarctica and Greenland, including the rescue of Jerri Nielsen (the South Pole doctor who had to perform breast cancer surgery and chemotherapy on herself) in the middle of the Antarctic winter.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • OzJacko wrote:

While we don't have nukes or the really impressive hardware, all of our armed forces pride themselves at being at least the equal of the best in the world.
      I can vouch for your statement.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Does your government allow them to use guns? :D
      (Sorry I couldn't help myself)
      most times they don't need to use them. Their reputation proceeds their arrival.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76 ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

So. to sum it up. You are overun by rabbbits, to many to shoot...hard to do without a gun. & then you got huge spiders & venomous snakes to boot, Big enough to shoot...then again no gun. Your government is as messed up as ours1
      Yep.
      And we call ourselves the lucky country.
      I like to travel but wouldn't want to call anywhere else home.