Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Just Another Reason I Like Aussie's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yeah, that's we want, a society that encourages gun owners to be inexperienced and out of practice with their gun because we've chosen to tax their ammo.

In Germany, which has an admittedly much different system for gun ownership, one of the requirements for owning a gun is that you regularly use it and log your time. This is one of the ideas I believe we should adopt.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      What difference does that make?
      I quoted per 100,000 stats.
      The bulk of our gun related deaths are suicides. A disproportionate amount amongst our farmers who are most likely to own a gun.
      Where you need to try and curb guns is the amount of handguns and heavy weaponry.
      Hunting guns you need to educate people better in safety to cut down on accidents.
      Perhaps put a 1000% tax on ammo to encourage more prudent trigger pulls and better aim (refer to earlier posts about being conservative with ammo).
      :)
      I'm okay with no one in Australia having a gun and that 1000% tax would work great there I bet.
      Read my earlier post. Essentially we do already have that tax comparing cost.
      I am not anti gun.
      I have had a gun and will be getting another before Christmas.
      I just believe, like many Americans and most of the rest of the world, that the USA has a gun problem. You are losing too many people unnecessarily.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      The bulk of our gun related deaths are suicides. A disproportionate amount amongst our farmers who are most likely to own a gun.
      Where you need to try and curb guns is the amount of handguns and heavy weaponry.
      Hunting guns you need to educate people better in safety to cut down on accidents.
      Perhaps put a 1000% tax on ammo to encourage more prudent trigger pulls and better aim (refer to earlier posts about being conservative with ammo).
      in normal neighborhoods gun violence is almost non-existent.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      those neighborhoods are in sweden.
      its all good
    • rafe wrote:

"People who feel safer with a gun than with guaranteed medical insurance don't yet have a fully adult concept of scary." -- William Gibson
      much of rural America has police response times well above twenty minutes. Detroit has essentially told citizens to get armed to protect themselves. I'm not a gun owner myself but understand the need.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      that's racist
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      that's racist
      swedish lives matter.
      its all good
    • In my state we have 2.5 million people in nearly 1 million square miles.
      But 79% live in the city of Perth.
      If a shot is fired at an empty house or parked car or anything else "inappropriate" it is uncommon enough to make the tv news.
      The shot doesn't even have to be at someone.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

In my state we have 2.5 million people in nearly 1 million square miles.
      If a shot is fired at an empty house or parked car or anything else "inappropriate" it is uncommon enough to make the tv news.
      Does Australia have huge gangs? I'm talking about gangs with memberships in the 5000+ rang.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • OzJacko wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      I'm okay with no one in Australia having a gun and that 1000% tax would work great there I bet.
      Read my earlier post. Essentially we do already have that tax comparing cost.I am not anti gun.
      I have had a gun and will be getting another before Christmas.
      I just believe, like many Americans and most of the rest of the world, that the USA has a gun problem. You are losing too many people unnecessarily.
      Yeah, for every US citizen killed by a gun, there are at least 10 foreigners waiting in line to take their place. Like many Americans, I believe the rest of the world tend to run their mouths, but not much else.
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Does Australia have huge gangs? I'm talking about gangs with memberships in the 5000+ rang.
      Obviously numbers don't match yours but we have gangs.
      We have various ethnic groups, Chinese, Somali, Indigenous but their fights are relatively few and generally without guns.
      We have areas that walking at night is risky but we don't have "ghetto" type areas.
      The majority of illegal guns are in the hands of, or pass through the hands of, motorcycle gangs. They constitute a large proportion of our organised crime (2nd only to the country's politicians).
      Our police have specialized task forces dealing with the gangs and the states generally have enacted laws making life difficult for them. e.g. Anti "fortress" type laws to dismantle clubhouses and restrictions on them being in groups. If a motorcycle gang want to have a group ride somewhere they apply for permission and are shadowed by the police.
    • chief wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      Read my earlier post. Essentially we do already have that tax comparing cost.I am not anti gun.I have had a gun and will be getting another before Christmas.
      Yeah, for every US citizen killed by a gun, there are at least 10 foreigners waiting in line to take their place. Like many Americans, I believe the rest of the world tend to run their mouths, but not much else.
      I find that to be offensive arrogance on your part.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Obviously numbers don't match yours but we have gangs.We have various ethnic groups, Chinese, Somali, Indigenous but their fights are relatively few and generally without guns.
      We have areas that walking at night is risky but we don't have "ghetto" type areas.
      The majority of illegal guns are in the hands of, or pass through the hands of, motorcycle gangs. They constitute a large proportion of our organised crime (2nd only to the country's politicians).
      Our police have specialized task forces dealing with the gangs and the states generally have enacted laws making life difficult for them. e.g. Anti "fortress" type laws to dismantle clubhouses and restrictions on them being in groups. If a motorcycle gang want to have a group ride somewhere they apply for permission and are shadowed by the police.
      We have ghettos in probably every city with more then 50000 people. They are generally paid for with our taxes and are HUD projects. Idiots concentrate low income housing. Smart people like habitat for humanity spread out low income housing in normal neighborhoods so the low income kids can see that a good future is possible if you get up and do something productive each day.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Obviously numbers don't match yours but we have gangs.We have various ethnic groups, Chinese, Somali, Indigenous but their fights are relatively few and generally without guns.We have areas that walking at night is risky but we don't have "ghetto" type areas.
      We have ghettos in probably every city with more then 50000 people. They are generally paid for with our taxes and are HUD projects. Idiots concentrate low income housing. Smart people like habitat for humanity spread out low income housing in normal neighborhoods so the low income kids can see that a good future is possible if you get up and do something productive each day.
      do you think rich and poor should live in the same neighborhood?

also, is it possible for 100% of the populace to be above the poverty line without government assistance?everyone in this country has an opportunity to become rich. but everyone cant be rich. we still need some people to do the laundry.and they need to be able to earn a living wage, so that government assistance doesnt become a crutch
      its all good
    • rafe wrote:

Newtown Connecticut is no ghetto. The idea that gun violence in the USA is perpetrated primarily by "gangs" is hokum and yes, rather racist.
      It's also completely statistically true. Your insinuation that all gangs are minorities is not.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Obviously numbers don't match yours but we have gangs.We have various ethnic groups, Chinese, Somali, Indigenous but their fights are relatively few and generally without guns.We have areas that walking at night is risky but we don't have "ghetto" type areas.The majority of illegal guns are in the hands of, or pass through the hands of, motorcycle gangs. They constitute a large proportion of our organised crime (2nd only to the country's politicians).
      do you think rich and poor should live in the same neighborhood?
      also, is it possible for 100% of the populace to be above the poverty line without government assistance?everyone in this country has an opportunity to become rich. but everyone cant be rich. we still need some people to do the laundry.and they need to be able to earn a living wage, so that government assistance doesnt become a crutch
      There will always be those that are below the poverty line because the poverty line isn't fixed.
      People should live in somewhat "blended" suburbs but those with little more than a trailer shouldn't live next to a multi million dollar mansion.
      But the key thing should be that anyone working full time should be paid enough to put a roof over the head of his family and feed them. Someone doing laundry or cleaning the streets shouldn't necessarily be on the same money as an engineer, but they should be able to have some quality of life.
      With that comes dignity and harmony.
    • Thanks for the find Mate!

Oh What LOOPHOLE?

Gun show loophole is a political term in the United States referring to sales of firearms by private sellers, (PRIVATE CITIZENS) including those done at gun shows. The loophole refers to a perceived gap in the law with regard to sales or transfers of firearms between private citizens. The term may also be referred to as the Brady Law loophole and the private sale loophole. Under federal law, private-party sellers are not required to perform background checks of buyers to verify that the buyer is not prohibited from possessing a firearm. Private sellers are also not required to record the sale or ask for identification. Federal law prohibits private individuals from selling a firearm to a resident of another state, or to someone they know, or have reason to believe, is prohibited from owning a firearm. As of August 2013, 33 states do not require background checks for sales of firearms by private individuals, while 17 states and Washington, D.C. do require background checks for some or all private firearm sales.This is in contrast to sales by gun stores and other Federal Firearms License holders, who are required by federal law to perform background checks of all buyers, and to record all sales.
      According to a 1999 report by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) commissioned by President Bill Clinton, these legal transactions contribute to illegal activities, such as arms trafficking, purchases of firearms by prohibited buyers, and straw purchases.
      Generally, gun control advocates want to extend background check requirements to private sellers. Gun rights advocates say there is no loophole, and believe any federal law requiring background checks for sales of secondary market firearms between private citizens, whether at gun shows or not, would exceed the government's authority, be a prelude to gun registration, and endanger gun owners' Second Amendment rights.

Seven gun show loophole bills were introduced in the U.S. House and four in the Senate between 2001 and 2013, but none were passed.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

Regardless of the gun debate, I still love Aussies. :)
      I was a little surprised when my dad after having a few decided to ask my opinion on the debate. I hesitated as he just called one of his best friends an a hole for buying one. (the lifelong friend was age 80) Both are a mile or two from Biden's Wilmington DE Home and there have been break ins and tying up the elderly and ransacking in the "nice" neighborhood over the last 6 years.

So eventually I answered the question, in a very positive way and gave him the historical answer as well.

No I don't own one. - But as adults IF I need one - why should the govt step in the way? I have a right to defend my family. Should guns be playthings for the rich and the poor? I think not. I see both sides of the debate.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million

It means there are more people. Lots of people never see any gun violence their entire lives. Statistics also says each person eats a vertani amount of cheese, chocolate, and steaks per year. But vegetarians don't eat steak. So statistics on 'per capita' are misleading.

What heavy weaponry ? Auto weapons are illegal. Doesn't stop criminals from owning them.

Illegal for a private citzen to own grenades, missle launchers, working combat tanks, comabt ships, etc.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • What are the rates of firearm deaths in areas with the most gun control vs the areas with the least? DC? Chicago?......

How often were there more deaths by gun in Chicago in a day than there were American Military KIA in Afghanistan and Iraq?

It's against the law to shoot people without cause with a gun. Well, that law doesn't work, let's make another. Now it's illegal to have the gun that it's illegal to kill people with. Yeah, that'll surely work, right? The common denominator is not the gun.....
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • The problem is that a gun is by its very design and intent, a tool designed to kill or maim. It has no earthly use without a living target.

Knives, by comparison, have far more uses. Heck, even I carry one (a 2" Gerber buck knife.) It's good for cutting cheese or pepperoni when I hike.

Guns make it easy to dispense death from a distance. With a knife you've got to get up close and personal.
    • I honestly don't think guns are the reason we have so many deaths in this country, I think it's a mix of people lacking a moral compass and just good old-fashioned stupidity.

And, yes, we have a metric-f*ck-ton (technical jargon) of guns per capita. But we also have MANY MANY MANY other differences and complexities than other nations of comparable standing, so I honestly don't believe a simple comparison of raw statistics is fair. Statistics are quick and efficient, but there is just so much more that belongs in an honest equation.

As for all of the history, geography, and other errata -- to be completely honest, more people have been killed throughout history in God's name (no matter what name it is or how it's attributed) than have been killed from any gun. Guns might make it easier to kill - but the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our gun collections, but in ourselves.

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • After spending over 6 months in your country I found you were strikingly similar except for an inadequate safety net for health and welfare and the 2nd amendment.
      edit - and an appalling minimum wage.
    • I had a bad night last night as my daughter's cat pissed on my open cell foam mattress yesterday so I "slept" on the couch and did a lot of posting between 1.30am and 4am.
      Then I took Annie to work before 7am.
      Since then I have mowed the lawn at my son's house, my house and my daughter's house. The houses are all in very separate suburbs.
      Just had a shower and will pick up Annie after 3 and we will do some shopping.
      Dealing with your bbq sauce sounds like fun.
      ;)
    • And I work in a plant that only has CNN on the TV's in the break room and you can't turn it off. Having to listen to brits slam America all night doesn't make me very tolerant of Aussie commentary on our Constitution :D

Fist bump extended...lest share swine :thumbsup:
    • For the record I love your Constitution and Declaration of Independence and am a bit of a student on local standards on your history.
      I just wish they could of had a crystal ball and tweaked the 2nd Amendment. NOT deleted it. Just worded it to give some curbing of your current situation. I am not adverse to law abiding sane people having guns.
    • I had an interesting discussion with a history professor once on the articles of confederation. We were to include some analytical thought of our own as part of our test responses and I argued the vagueness of the Articles of Confederation was a play on human nature as a means to an end goal. The gist of which was; you have to start somewhere and since you're dealing with a "nation" of people that are here to avoid over regulation by government you have to give them something that basically says nothing knowing that it will be proven not to work, but the mere existence of will allow you to amend to the point of actually having a working document that will accomplish something. Sort of a "Pavlov's dog" approach, if you will.

It's governing nature that you'll never get back something that's taken away. Take another look at our Constitution and Bill of Rights with that view and it makes a lot more sense.
    • OzJacko wrote:

For the record I love your Constitution and Declaration of Independence and am a bit of a student on local standards on your history.

And there's just another reason I love Aussie's!

You might know more than some people that actually live here. I cringe when someone over here starts a sentence with the words, "I have a constitutional right to..." cause there's often a 50/50 chance on just how sad or comedic they're going to finish that sentence.

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • Bill Bryson, in a book whose title I don't recall, said something interesting about the Constitution, to wit, that at the time, it was the result of what was perhaps the most focused, intense. collective intellectual effort ever made by humans at that point in history. I can understand that.

Still, they overlooked the horrible elephant in the room, which required a bloody civil war to resolve, a hundred years later. Blacks and women had no rights whatsoever.

To our shame, the US was one of the last nations to abolish slavery. Many first-world nations have had female leaders at this point. Maybe we will soon!
    • OzJacko wrote:

chief wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australia 28 million
      USA 324 million
      Read my earlier post. Essentially we do already have that tax comparing cost.I am not anti gun.I have had a gun and will be getting another before Christmas.I just believe, like many Americans and most of the rest of the world, that the USA has a gun problem. You are losing too many people unnecessarily.
      I find that to be offensive arrogance on your part.
      I'm not trying to tell you how to run your country...I find it offensive for you to be telling us how to run ours...and the next time Germany takes France I hope we let them keep it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I have always here made it clear that I am not trying to tell you how to run your country or change your gun laws.
      I try to give you some outside perspective and show to some extent how you are viewed by other countries.
      A perspective you will never get from the NRA.