Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Just Another Reason I Like Aussie's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• nope, does nothing to stop violence. make it harder for criminals to get guns also make it harder for law-abiding citizens to get guns (I will never support that in any form). safety courses - criminals don't takes courses, anyway who designs the courses, who administers the courses, at what cost, is licensing the next step?
    • chief wrote:

nope, does nothing to stop violence. make it harder for criminals to get guns also make it harder for law-abiding citizens to get guns (I will never support that in any form). safety courses - criminals don't takes courses, anyway who designs the courses, who administers the courses, at what cost, is licensing the next step?
      "Over the past year, new studies and media reports have documented America’s extraordinary number of child-involved shootings. These occur when a child happens upon a gun, or is left alone with one, and ends up shooting themselves or another person. Such disasters result in hundreds of child fatalities and have made American children nine times more likely to die in gun accidents than children anywhere else in the developed world." gun deaths involving kids
      yes. safety courses should be required. dick cheney needs to take one.

todays latest:azdps.gov/Media/News/View/?p=6…k.com&utm_campaign=buffer
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

chief wrote:

nope, does nothing to stop violence. make it harder for criminals to get guns also make it harder for law-abiding citizens to get guns (I will never support that in any form). safety courses - criminals don't takes courses, anyway who designs the courses, who administers the courses, at what cost, is licensing the next step?
      "Over the past year, new studies and media reports have documented America’s extraordinary number of child-involved shootings. These occur when a child happens upon a gun, or is left alone with one, and ends up shooting themselves or another person. Such disasters result in hundreds of child fatalities and have made American children nine times more likely to die in gun accidents than children anywhere else in the developed world." gun deaths involving kidsyes. safety courses should be required. dick cheney needs to take one.

+1 on the gun safe, or cabinet bolted to wall.
    • hikerboy wrote:

criminals still have too easy a time of it to get guns
      Our government helps with that much more than many might care to believe. And I ain't talking about loopholes (well, at least not the same loopholes that "street"criminals use.)

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • Dan76 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

About 4 or 5 of those weapons I can legally buy here.
      I am actually planning on buying a rifle shortly. Last had one about 15 years ago.
      To buy a 22 magnum rimfire I have to get a letter from a landowner with more than 1000 acres to say that I can hunt on their property, do a safety test, buy a steel cabinet (about $300) and bolt it to a solid wall in the house, fill in an application specifying why I want it and pay around $300 in fees. Then after at least 6 weeks of processing and police checking of me I can pay $525 and get a Savage bolt action.
      About 5 minutes and $200 in Walmart for you?
      For a few hundred more, most of us can purchase a fully auto firearm.
      No we can't.

Full auto has been effectively banned since around 1985. Sure you could try to get an FFL and a class 3 license, but good luck. Even if you manage to get the license for one you're still looking at spending $10,000 or more to buy a pre-ban full auto in decent condition.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
      • Last I checked that "extrordinary number" of kids killed by accidental shooting is around 200 per year in the entire country. Granted that we all wish that number was zero, but to put it in perspective that is slightly less than the average number of children who die in swimming pools each year in the US. And there are more than 100 guns out there for every swimming pool.

My point is that the actual risk of a child being involved in an accidental shooting is far, far lower than what the public perception believes it to be.

hikerboy wrote:

chief wrote:

"Over the past year, new studies and media reports have documented America’s extraordinary number of child-involved shootings. These occur when a child happens upon a gun, or is left alone with one, and ends up shooting themselves or another person. Such disasters result in hundreds of child fatalities and have made American children nine times more likely to die in gun accidents than children anywhere else in the developed world." gun deaths involving kidsyes. safety courses should be required. dick cheney needs to take one.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• I remember the sudden lack of trust given to the US government about December, 1963.
      There were grumblings before that, but not huge numbers of people. ( Hint, right after JFK's murder.)

When I was growing up, in the 1950s and 1960s, people, including high school kids, had gun racks in the back of their pickup trucks, or they had them in the trunks of their cars.

They had them so they could shoot a rabbit or squirells on the way home after school or work, otherwise they didn't eat.

We learned to take our upset out with a fistfight. Anyone puling a gun or knife would get stopped, before the police got there, by the rest of the people there. And they lost the argument whatever it may be about.

Why not get food stamps ? Well, people didn't do that, they felt it was too embaressing. Their relatives of their local church might help, but not for months or years.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • g00gle wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

criminals still have too easy a time of it to get guns
      Our government helps with that much more than many might care to believe. And I ain't talking about loopholes (well, at least not the same loopholes that "street"criminals use.)
      i remember a recent story involving guns confiscated from criminals which had already been confiscated by police.
      its all good
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Last I checked that "extrordinary number" of kids killed by accidental shooting is around 200 per year in the entire country. Granted that we all wish that number was zero, but to put it in perspective that is slightly less than the average number of children who die in swimming pools each year in the US. And there are more than 100 guns out there for every swimming pool.

My point is that the actual risk of a child being involved in an accidental shooting is far, far lower than what the public perception believes it to be.
      again, i have no problem with responsible gun owners.none.but putting that aside, how do you address gun violence in this country? without infringing on 2nd amendment "rights"?
      about the same amount of people get killed in auto accidents as get killed by guns. i don't propose to take peoples cars away, but its much harder to buy and operate a car without a license than it is to buy a gun
      its all good
    • OzJacko wrote:

You have over 30,000 people a year dying by gun.
      Surely you have to admit you have to start doing something.
      Last I checked (which was recently) it was around 10,000 murders involving guns per year according to the FBI. But again, too many.

We could always start by trying to address the vicious and institutionalized cycle of poverty that is systemic in the US, as this is one of the largest driving factors behind our gun violence, but but that would take real work, it's easier for politicians to blame inanimate objects.

For the record my state does require a "eligibilty certificate" (license) and background check to buy a gun, it doesn't feel like too much of a burden to me.
    • Drybones wrote:

g00gle wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I find this incident as described not funny, but an extremely sad commentary on this department's view of the community supposedly served.
      the Oathkeepers
      :thumbup:

OzJacko wrote:

I have said before, our gun laws won't work for you.
      You would have had to adopt them 100 years ago.
      You have had Pandora open the box. You already have the guns and a huge number of gun owners who won't give them up.
      Hopefully you can find a solution but I can't think of one.
      Despite the expense and hoops I have to jump through I will have no trouble getting a gun. But if I had a violent record etc I wouldn't. I also can buy a gun suited for hunting game. A gun designed primarily to kill people is a different matter. Perhaps that is one area that you can get change. Have a bolt action to hunt deer but why an ak47 with full metal jacket ammo.
      I have a solution...start punishing criminals instead of sending them to a country club, our justice system has become an incentive for crime, if a person intentionally kills someone they die, within 3 months, a person goes to jail they do hard labor and eat crap, no TV, no gym, no nothing but misery so they don't want to come back...second offenders I'd treat badly...pisses me off that we're more concerned about the rights of criminals than the victims, as far as I'm concerned you forfeit your rights when you commit a crime...we need to focus on eliminating crime more so than punishing...if the punishment is bad enough few will commit the crime.
      more severe punishment is not a deterrant and wont work.people dont commit crimes because they know jail is an easy life. capital punishment doesnt work.the death penalty doesnt deter people from killing cops these days.( the usual response to this is "they deserve to die",but doesnt address the lack of deterrent)
      its all good
    • who the hell knows.

i think the reported figures are going to vary according the political agenda of the who is doing the reporting.

for example, i did a google search and look what the first 2 results say:

1.The Centers for Disease Control reports that there were 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S. in 2010.

2. Firearms killed 32,251 people in the United States in 2011, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control has data.

i ain't skeered of the woods so the only thing i carry concealed are my brains.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

who the hell knows.

i think the reported figures are going to vary according the political agenda of the who is doing the reporting.

1.The Centers for Disease Control reports that there were 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S. in 2010.

2. Firearms killed 32,251 people in the United States in 2011, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control has data.

the homicides are part of the total.the total includes suicides and accidental deaths,etc
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

who the hell knows.

the homicides are part of the total.the total includes suicides and accidental deaths,etc
      Reading all that with your signature under it just looked wrong...
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

who the hell knows.

Reading all that with your signature under it just looked wrong...
      yin/yang. it is what it is.
      its all good
    • This video is great (but the guy doing it is much more talented than this single video lets on.) If you are a Pro-2A, you'll probably get a huge kick out of some of his other music videos on YouTube.

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

I like Aussies cause they gave us, Vegemite, the boomerang, they babysit many of the planets nastiest snakes, and they gave us "Mick Dundee...from Australia" Olivia too. And cause they like to drink, fight and cuss.
      and their accents <sigh>. :)
      We don't have accents.
      You have accents. New England accents, mid west accents, Louisiana accents, Texan accents etc etc.
      We all talk the same. No accent.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

People never killed people before the gun was invented?
      Oh they did. Atilla the Hun is reported to have killed a city of around 1 milion people in 3 days.

And as I like to point out, he did it without benefit, er excuse, of video games, movies, or books.
      And this is relevant how?
    • OzJacko wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

People never killed people before the gun was invented?
      Oh they did. Atilla the Hun is reported to have killed a city of around 1 milion people in 3 days.
      And as I like to point out, he did it without benefit, er excuse, of video games, movies, or books.
      And this is relevant how?
      Root problem is the person and the behavior, not the tool.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • OzJacko wrote:

Agreed but the tool is an issue.

Brother, with all due respect, you're focusing an awful lot on the dangers in this topic.

But something that is far more important to many of us is the safety in this same topic.

The quote, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." comes to mind.

Some other relevant ones might be:

"God made men. Samuel Colt made them equal."

or

"An armed society is a polite society."

All truisms, my friend!

:thumbup:

• Not able to post link as I am not that good with the phone but search I just did on Wikipedia showed homicide rates per 100,000 as being 0.86 for Australia and 8.64 for USA.
      And that doesn't count the other 20,000+ gun related deaths you have.
      The 2nd amendment doesn't seem to be working for you.
      From what I saw the only comparable countries are mostly war zones.