Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Katahdin Blues

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

They held off a NP. Think they are worried about a bunch of stinking hikers? Their ball, their rules. Just glad I did my thru when I did. Part of me would like to do the AT again, but not sure with the way it is today. Most likely focus on the CDT before that become to developed & civilized! :D
      idaho centennial trail
      Bibbulmun Track.
      It's comfortable for older people and neither terminus has issues. You can buy a meal and a beer within half a mile of both.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • For the record, and directed at the OP: I've cliimbed Katahdin three times so far. I'm a 2000 miler, not a thru-hiker, and my completion of the AT happened hundreds of miles from Katahdin's summit. There was no champagne or film crew.

For the sake of future thru-hikers and 2000 milers, I hope the northern terminus of the AT stays right where it is. I'd like to see the ATC take a clear, public stand against FKT attempts.
    • rafe wrote:

For the record, and directed at the OP: I've cliimbed Katahdin three times so far. I'm a 2000 miler, not a thru-hiker, and my completion of the AT happened hundreds of miles from Katahdin's summit. There was no champagne or film crew.

For the sake of future thru-hikers and 2000 milers, I hope the northern terminus of the AT stays right where it is. I'd like to see the ATC take a clear, public stand against FKT attempts.
      I agree, but while they try and take masures to reduce crowds at southern terminus they celbrate the movie "a Walk in the Woods" as it gives more publicity to the trail.
    • W

hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

They held off a NP. Think they are worried about a bunch of stinking hikers? Their ball, their rules. Just glad I did my thru when I did. Part of me would like to do the AT again, but not sure with the way it is today. Most likely focus on the CDT before that become to developed & civilized! :D
      idaho centennial trail
      Where are your resouces listed? I didn't see it in other trails.
    • I definitely would like the terminus to stay at Katahdin.
      Springer is not so iconic. If they moved that to Blood Mountain say, it wouldn't be an issue.
      But I fear that the restrictions in BSP will cause it to cease as terminus unless there is an unlikely about face by Bissell and co.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

W

hikerboy wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

idaho centennial trail
      Where are your resouces listed? I didn't see it in other trails.
      centennial trail
      its all good
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

rafe wrote:

For the record, and directed at the OP: I've cliimbed Katahdin three times so far. I'm a 2000 miler, not a thru-hiker, and my completion of the AT happened hundreds of miles from Katahdin's summit. There was no champagne or film crew.

I agree, but while they try and take masures to reduce crowds at southern terminus they celbrate the movie "a Walk in the Woods" as it gives more publicity to the trail.

A bit puzzling. Yes, they gave over the whole recent issue of "Journeys" to the movie. On the other hand, is there anyone who gets that magazine that didn't already know about the movie?
    • max.patch wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I've never hiked the AT, nor been on the Katahdin. But I can do without going to Maine. Period.
      maine is without question the prettiest state on the AT to hike. don't let the internet blow hards dissaude you.

Its not the Internet, I've been to Maine. I spent around 2 months there over several trips up there. Nice scenary. People, not so nicie.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

My dad told me years ago some lakes up there froze over and the ice was cut up to ship south for ice boxes before many homes had electricity.
      I had one of those ponds about 1 mile from my house in New York. It was owned by Schafer Brewery. The Metro North tracks ran along side the pond.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I wouldn't generalize about the people of Maine. Except they did elect an idiot tea party governor, twice. I've been to Baxter a bunch of times and always enjoyed it. Maine is the prettiest state on the AT, in my opinion.

Bethel ME is about 20 miles east of Gorham. I can have more fun in Bethel than Gorham. Someone up there explained it to me in religious terms -- Gorham being mostly French-Catholic and Bethel being mostly Protestant.
    • JimBlue wrote:

My dad told me years ago some lakes up there froze over and the ice was cut up to ship south for ice boxes before many homes had electricity.
      They shipped it by railroad to Florida for the bars and restaurants packed in hay. The loss due to melting was 90% and they considered that successful and still made a profit.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • rafe wrote:

I wouldn't generalize about the people of Maine. Except they did elect an idiot tea party governor, twice. I've been to Baxter a bunch of times and always enjoyed it. Maine is the prettiest state on the AT, in my opinion.

Bethel ME is about 20 miles east of Gorham. I can have more fun in Bethel than Gorham. Someone up there explained it to me in religious terms -- Gorham being mostly French-Catholic and Bethel being mostly Protestant.

As I said, I've been to Maine several tmes over several decades. I don't feel I'm generalizing. I checked with my siblings, to make sure I had misremembered, I hadn't.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

rafe wrote:

I wouldn't generalize about the people of Maine. Except they did elect an idiot tea party governor, twice. I've been to Baxter a bunch of times and always enjoyed it. Maine is the prettiest state on the AT, in my opinion.

As I said, I've been to Maine several tmes over several decades. I don't feel I'm generalizing. I checked with my siblings, to make sure I had misremembered, I hadn't.
      You made a blanket statement (Msg. 53) about the people of Maine. I'd call that generalizing.
    • Unfortunately we're all ambassadors for our country/state/etc, seems like every time I've been through PA all I ran across were not friendly. Now I know all of PA isn't like that because that's where SandyPA lives, all states have theirs....it would be a crying shame if everyone judged AL by me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • rafe wrote:

That sounds backward to me. Look at the difference between northern and southern Germany. The Catholic part of the country has Oktoberfest!

"Where'er the Catholic sun doth shine,
      There's always laughter and good red wine.
      At least, I've always found it so.
      Benedicamus Domino!" - Hilaire Belloc
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

rafe wrote:

That sounds backward to me. Look at the difference between northern and southern Germany. The Catholic part of the country has Oktoberfest!
      Any high stakes bingo?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

rafe wrote:

For several years we went skiing at Sunday River around Christmas time. This would involve being on the road on Christmas eve and Christmas day. We learned that Gorham shuts down tight early on Christmas eve. No place to eat. But off in Bethel, there was a lively little pub that stayed open late and where we could get a bite to eat. So we migrated from Gorham to Bethel as our base for the Christmas ski trips. I think in the old days there was a Chinese place in Gorham that stayed open, but they failed us one year and the situation turned critical.
    • Drybones wrote:

Unfortunately we're all ambassadors for our country/state/etc, seems like every time I've been through PA all I ran across were not friendly. Now I know all of PA isn't like that because that's where SandyPA lives, all states have theirs....it would be a crying shame if everyone judged AL by me.
      PA fans booed the SC team in the LLWS for walking the cleanup hitter with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd....

I pulled for Japan in the finals.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • On my hike this summer I meet a lot of nice people in small towns in PA, NJ, and NY. Often reminded me of the South I have grown up in and love. Lots of American flags and even crosses too. In Unionville, NY in the Annablelle's Pizzaria they were playing Country music. Reminds me of the old Jimmy Buffet line, "don't try to describe the ocean if you have never seen it".

Although I must admit the two city boys from Long Island and CT were the nicest to me! Made me feel like a King giving me a chair to sit in to eat donuts, drink Gatorade, and even Gorilla Tape to repair my shoes. :thumbup:
      Reminded me of that really neat guy I met my second day down in SNP from VA. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Foresight wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Unfortunately we're all ambassadors for our country/state/etc, seems like every time I've been through PA all I ran across were not friendly. Now I know all of PA isn't like that because that's where SandyPA lives, all states have theirs....it would be a crying shame if everyone judged AL by me.
      PA fans booed the SC team in the LLWS for walking the cleanup hitter with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd....
      I pulled for Japan in the finals.
      Must have been from Philly where they will even boo Santa Claus. Probably lots of other nice people in PA (at least that was my experience this summer).
    • Astro wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Drybones wrote:

PA fans booed the SC team in the LLWS for walking the cleanup hitter with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd....I pulled for Japan in the finals.
      Must have been from Philly where they will even boo Santa Claus. Probably lots of other nice people in PA (at least that was my experience this summer).
      Now for the PA rocks, that is another matter (not so nice). X(
    • I have two really good friends from PA and was best man in one's wedding.....in a church made of STONE....in AUGUST.....with NO AC....and it was a CATHOLIC wedding (i.e. it lasted for friggin' ever).....

The wedding was in Mtn Top just outside of Wilkes-Barre. My other buddy is from Philly and he's a great guy. Moved here from Greece in his late teens. And get this......he owns a restaurant (Nova Mediterranean Grill).
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foresight ().

• Astro wrote:

On my hike this summer I meet a lot of nice people in small towns in PA, NJ, and NY. Often reminded me of the South I have grown up in and love. Lots of American flags and even crosses too. In Unionville, NY in the Annablelle's Pizzaria they were playing Country music. Reminds me of the old Jimmy Buffet line, "don't try to describe the ocean if you have never seen it".

Although I must admit the two city boys from Long Island and CT were the nicest to me! Made me feel like a King giving me a chair to sit in to eat donuts, drink Gatorade, and even Gorilla Tape to repair my shoes. :thumbup:
      Reminded me of that really neat guy I met my second day down in SNP from VA. :)
      Unionville NJ was one of the nicest places I went to in my entire stay.
      If I was ever to move to the USA, it would be on the short list to move to. Lovely people.
    • Yep I met the mayor of Unionville, Richard something or other. He obviously loved hikers and went out of his way to chat me up and offer his services. I remember that whole day vividly, from Pochuck shelter to Highpoint. Had a long chat with Jim Murray at the "secret shelter" a couple hours later. At Highpoint there was an intense full moon that kept me up half the night, and a fun female section hiker with the trailname Spaghetti-O. She was a mom from New Jersey just getting back on the trail after an aborted thru-hike earlier that summer. Ahhh I remember that whole hike, it was one of my best ever.