Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

link to NOAA photos of Katrina damage, from an aircraft flyover

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• link to NOAA photos of Katrina damage, from an aircraft flyover

Click on a square, then click on another square. The huge jpg will then open up. Louisiana over to Alabama.

ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

In the attached photo, the blue building piece on the highway, was attached to the blue building before Katrina hit. Its a 3 story buildnig.
      Images
      • katrina01.png

871.49 kB, 685×527, viewed 527 times
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Hurricanes, lightening, tornadoes, volcanoes, wild fires, sink holes, and on and on and on, the natural world is a dangerous place. It kind of bothers me when people want someone to blame for every disaster and problem that comes their way. Of course they rarely take responsibility for being in the situation. I better stop right here or I'm gonna get myself worked up into a tizzy (whatever that is).
    • LIhikers wrote:

Hurricanes, lightening, tornadoes, volcanoes, wild fires, sink holes, and on and on and on, the natural world is a dangerous place. It kind of bothers me when people want someone to blame for every disaster and problem that comes their way. Of course they rarely take responsibility for being in the situation. I better stop right here or I'm gonna get myself worked up into a tizzy (whatever that is).
      disasters can happen. how we react to those disasters is key.3 years after superstorm sandy, most of long island is back to normal.
      new orleans is still struggling. different people, different mentality.
      after sandy hit, amidst all the horror of watching life belongings wash away, it wasnt more than a day or two before people caught their breath, rolled up their sleeves, and started working on recovery.
      new yorkers are survivors.we are long beach strong.
      its all good
    • There were legal reasons why many houses in the Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rite strike zones couldn't rebuild.

Insurance companies argued and argued over whether the damage was wind, rain, or tidal surge caused. Not all of that was covered. One of my coworkers came back and found a 35 foot boat had come in through their front door. Just the stern and the propellor sticking out. The insurance company said 'act of god' not covered, her and her husband said 'tidal surge'. They had to go to court to get the plan to pay them.

Historical Preservation Society had to be sued in Federal to stop them from blocking houses being rebuilt. Many houses were taken down to a slab, and yet the Historical Preservation committees wanted surveys, plans, etc. to restore the houses. The judge told them there was nothing to restore, so stop bothering these people trying to rebuild.

Many insurance plans didn't pay for full coverage of the houses. Many people got less than 20 thousand dollars, when the house was worth over 100 thousand dollars before the storm.

Somewhere between 40-75 percent of all businesses were so damaged, or destroyed, they never reopened. Many, within a mile of the beach,had to be rebuilt, as if there had been nothing there before the storm.

Over half the population had no jobs to go back to.

A group that came over to help us clean up our yard told us the tv pictures just didn't prepare them for what it looked like at ground level. Most of them cried as the bus took them down U-90, the beach road.

Pass Christian,MS got hit with a 32 foot tidal surge that went inland 3 miles.
      --
    • Oh, forgot. Most of the court cases took over 3 years to get to court. Some insurance companies are no longer allowed to write policies in Mississippi due to their refusing to pay out the plans when claims were made.

New Orleans is in a bowl. As water is pumped out of the ground, it is slowly sinking.

I saw a statement on a New York newspaper forum that 'they should have built further back than 52 feet from the beach' after Sandy hit.

A numbr of people pointed out that poster obviously didn't live in a hurricane zone. Tidal surges can go inland for miles.

One person even asked 'Why did the US buy New Orleans ?'. It was pointed out the Louisiana Purchase took place in the early 1800s, not in the early 1900s. They hadn't realized that.
      --
    • hikerboy wrote:

there were lessons learned from katrina that helped response after sandy
      Yes. I am glad we could help you...

Sadly, I saw the second President Bush on tv in New Orleans trying to look good after his administrations fiasco in dealing with the damage.

The US Congress paid for a CAT 3 hurricane surge levees. Unfortunately Katrina was a CAT 3 storm with a CAT 5 tidal surge.

Several people asked me 'why weren't the levees taken down to bedrock ?'.

I pointed out that between the Rockies and the Adirondacks was an alluvial sea a few million years ago. Bedrock is 500 to 1000 feet down.
      --

The post was edited 1 time, last by JimBlue: typo ().

• hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Hurricanes, lightening, tornadoes, volcanoes, wild fires, sink holes, and on and on and on, the natural world is a dangerous place. It kind of bothers me when people want someone to blame for every disaster and problem that comes their way. Of course they rarely take responsibility for being in the situation. I better stop right here or I'm gonna get myself worked up into a tizzy (whatever that is).
      disasters can happen. how we react to those disasters is key.3 years after superstorm sandy, most of long island is back to normal.new orleans is still struggling. different people, different mentality.
      after sandy hit, amidst all the horror of watching life belongings wash away, it wasnt more than a day or two before people caught their breath, rolled up their sleeves, and started working on recovery.
      As bad as Sandy was the level of destruction was much smaller then Katrina. Whole towns in Alabama were gone.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Long Island is three feet above sea level, New Orleans is on average 3 feet below, huge diffence when the pumps fail in recovery time.

I think it fare to say that if today's city planners were to start building a mayor city today it would not be built below sea level, on a mayor fault, or in my back yard, then again engineers do like challenges. It all a money thing, real estate.
    • muddywaters wrote:

socks wrote:

Long Island is three feet above sea level, New Orleans is on average 3 feet below, huge diffence when the pumps fail in recovery time.
      and sinking at 3 ft per century....The problem is only getting worse with time.
      Seriously, N.O. should be slowly abandoned.

Katrina wasnt a worst case scenario either. Just crappy levees.
      There was a reason the French only built in certain areas in New Orleans. They didn't have insurance or FEMA.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Bourbon Street flooded due to rain. Most of the rest of New Orleans flooded due to sinking, and its located in old marshes. Bourbon Street is the high land there.

Katrina was significantly a rougher storm than Sandy.

New Olreans flooding didn't happen due to pump failure. The levees, which cannot be built down to bedrock, are just inverted metal T-shapes with dirt and clay around them, built on clay and dirt long mounds. Note that the US Congress determines how much money is used to build these levees. The Army Corps of Engineers are mostly covilian contractors. Not the same people who are on active duty in the US Army as engineers who build bridges, etc. There are Army personnel working with the civilian contractors in the Corps.

The storm surge and wind built up high water levels in Lake Ponchertrain. Since hurricanes rotate counter clockwise, that high water plus rain draining into the lake. The levees were overtopped by all that water, north side of New Orleans. The over topping washed the levees away. That is why the city flooded, not due to pump failures.

After the levees failed, the pump stations had to be abandoned so the people working there wouldn't drown. Some of the pumps were damaged. The pump station workers had to be ordered out, they were willing to stay and run the pumps.

Note that Ponchertrain and Bourgne are not really lakes. They are tidal bays. But the early explorers named them lakes, and even though people who currently live there know they aren't lakes, they are still called lakes.
      --
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

disasters can happen. how we react to those disasters is key.3 years after superstorm sandy, most of long island is back to normal.new orleans is still struggling. different people, different mentality.after sandy hit, amidst all the horror of watching life belongings wash away, it wasnt more than a day or two before people caught their breath, rolled up their sleeves, and started working on recovery.
      As bad as Sandy was the level of destruction was much smaller then Katrina. Whole towns in Alabama were gone.
      Okay let's stop all this exaggeration!

What whole towns in Alabama are gone? I live on Mobile Bay in southern Alabama and I know of no town that is gone on the Gulf Coast due to Katrina. I don't mean to pick only on you Rasty, but your post was the one that got my attention since I live here.

Katrina and Sandy were bad enough without all this bullshit.
    • chief wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

disasters can happen. how we react to those disasters is key.3 years after superstorm sandy, most of long island is back to normal.new orleans is still struggling. different people, different mentality.after sandy hit, amidst all the horror of watching life belongings wash away, it wasnt more than a day or two before people caught their breath, rolled up their sleeves, and started working on recovery.new yorkers are survivors.we are long beach strong.
      What whole towns in Alabama are gone? I live on Mobile Bay in southern Alabama and I know of no town that is gone on the Gulf Coast due to Katrina. I don't mean to pick only on you Rasty, but your post was the one that got my attention since I live here.

Mississippi
      buzzfeed.com/joelanderson/how-…and-its-mayor#.opEA6rBqxR

risingfromruin.msnbc.com/the_towns/
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • chief wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

disasters can happen. how we react to those disasters is key.3 years after superstorm sandy, most of long island is back to normal.new orleans is still struggling. different people, different mentality.after sandy hit, amidst all the horror of watching life belongings wash away, it wasnt more than a day or two before people caught their breath, rolled up their sleeves, and started working on recovery.new yorkers are survivors.we are long beach strong.

they were both bad. as i said, a lot was learned from katrina, both in preparation and response.
      its all good
    • JimBlue wrote:

Bourbon Street flooded due to rain. Most of the rest of New Orleans flooded due to sinking, and its located in old marshes. Bourbon Street is the high land there.

Katrina was significantly a rougher storm than Sandy.

New Olreans flooding didn't happen due to pump failure. The levees, which cannot be built down to bedrock, are just inverted metal T-shapes with dirt and clay around them, built on clay and dirt long mounds. Note that the US Congress determines how much money is used to build these levees. The Army Corps of Engineers are mostly covilian contractors. Not the same people who are on active duty in the US Army as engineers who build bridges, etc. There are Army personnel working with the civilian contractors in the Corps.

The storm surge and wind built up high water levels in Lake Ponchertrain. Since hurricanes rotate counter clockwise, that high water plus rain draining into the lake. The levees were overtopped by all that water, north side of New Orleans. The over topping washed the levees away. That is why the city flooded, not due to pump failures.

After the levees failed, the pump stations had to be abandoned so the people working there wouldn't drown. Some of the pumps were damaged. The pump station workers had to be ordered out, they were willing to stay and run the pumps.

Note that Ponchertrain and Bourgne are not really lakes. They are tidal bays. But the early explorers named them lakes, and even though people who currently live there know they aren't lakes, they are still called lakes.
      thanks for the clarification Jim.