Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is it Too Late ???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it Too Late ???

Found this article thanks to a post HB made in another thread. I thought it was pretty powerful.

-

I am in my late 20s and feel I have wasted a lot of time. Is it too late for me to achieve something worthwhile?

"Too late for what? If you slept through your 26th birthday, it's too late for you to experience that. It's too late for you to fight in the Vietnam War. It's too late for you to go through puberty or attend nursery school. It's probably too late for you to be breastfed.

It's not too late for you to fall in love.

It's not too late for you to have kids.

It's not too late for you to embark on an exciting career or series of careers.

It's not too late for you to read the complete works of Shakespeare; learn how to program computers; learn to dance; travel around the world; go to therapy; become an accomplished cook; sky dive; develop an appreciation for jazz; write a novel; get an advanced degree; save for your old age; read "In Search of Lost Time"; become a Christian, then an atheist, then a Scientologist; break a few bones; learn how to fix a toilet; develop a six-pack ...

Honestly, I'm 47, and I'll say this to you, whippersnapper: you're a f***ing kid, so get over yourself. I'm a kid too, believe it or not. I'm almost twice your age, and I'm just getting started! My dad is in his 80s, and he wrote two books last year.

You don't get to use age as an excuse. Get off your ass!

Also, learn about what economists call "sunk costs." If I give someone $100 on Monday, and he spends $50 on candy, he'll probably regret that purchase on Tuesday. In a way, he'll still think of himself as a guy with $100—half of which is wasted.

But what he really is is a guy with $50, just as he would be if I'd handed him a fifty-dollar bill. A sunk cost from yesterday should not be part of today's equation. What he should be thinking is this: "What should I do with my $50?"

What you are NOT is a person who has wasted 27 years. What you ARE is a person who has X number of years ahead of you. So what are you going to do with them?"

-

Source: tickld.com/x/27-year-old-guy-f…e-aged-man-tells-him-this

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • I've survived a hurricane at sea, a hang fire on the forward gun, a hang fire on the aft missle launcher ( anti-aircraft), a riot when I was on Shore Patrol in a foreign port, stepping on a rattlesnake while alking to a camp site and doing a 8 foot backwards leap with a 75 pound pack on my back, a few close calls with floods and lightning, being told I would never get selected for electronics tech school ( I did and passed the weeks of classes), and a list of other things.

Most of my relatives tell me I am boring and have led a boring life.

But I'm still here, in spite of all of the above. And going to go hiking again.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I've survived a hurricane at sea, a hang fire on the forward gun, a hang fire on the aft missle launcher ( anti-aircraft), a riot when I was on Shore Patrol in a foreign port, stepping on a rattlesnake while alking to a camp site and doing a 8 foot backwards leap with a 75 pound pack on my back, a few close calls with floods and lightning, being told I would never get selected for electronics tech school ( I did and passed the weeks of classes), and a list of other things.

There are always people in life that try to bring you down. Live your life the way you want and you will have no regrets.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I've survived a hurricane at sea, a hang fire on the forward gun, a hang fire on the aft missle launcher ( anti-aircraft), a riot when I was on Shore Patrol in a foreign port, stepping on a rattlesnake while alking to a camp site and doing a 8 foot backwards leap with a 75 pound pack on my back, a few close calls with floods and lightning, being told I would never get selected for electronics tech school ( I did and passed the weeks of classes), and a list of other things.

There are always people in life that try to bring you down. Live your life the way you want and you will have no regrets.
      Thanks, Gracias, Danke.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

That sounds like some close calls.
    • Lets see, the hurricane at sea was named Camille. 50-55 foot seas. The signal flag deck was 52 feet above the ship's waterline. So he was the only guy above the ocean's surface for most of that night. We lost paint down to the hull. Main deck life line was removed by the waves. Capsize was 57 degrees from vertical. I found out the next day we took rolls up to 45 degrees from vertical multiple times.

The hang fires, if they had blown up, very likely the entire ship would have gone up.

Yeah, close calls indeed.
      --