Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

A.T. Lt. trip to the ADK's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I've only left stuff once and worried about it the whole time.

I was climbing to Rocky Top for the first time and was in a lot worse shape so decided to lighten my pack. I hung some stuff (including my food) on the bear cable at Spence shelter. I ripped a page out of the register with a note that I was coming back and please don't steal my food.
      I realize now how stupid it was to leave a note. 1) Bears don't read and 2) if someone wants to steal my food a note isn't going to stop them. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Finally able to upload pics from the past weekend
      Images
      • IMG_6179.JPG

182.58 kB, 800×600, viewed 279 times
      • IMG_6199.JPG

148.56 kB, 800×600, viewed 268 times
      • IMG_6201.JPG

221.13 kB, 800×600, viewed 272 times
      • IMG_6205.JPG

165.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 289 times
      • IMG_6255.JPG

183.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 284 times
      • IMG_6258.JPG

197.68 kB, 800×600, viewed 277 times
      • IMG_6260.JPG

398.59 kB, 800×600, viewed 265 times
      • IMG_6263.JPG

178.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 278 times
      • IMG_6269.JPG

126.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 285 times
      • IMG_6283.jpg

205.09 kB, 449×600, viewed 290 times
      • IMG_6286.JPG

187.48 kB, 800×600, viewed 259 times
      • IMG_6297.JPG

251.83 kB, 800×600, viewed 278 times
      • IMG_6298.jpg

191.01 kB, 449×600, viewed 275 times
      • IMG_6305.JPG

200.1 kB, 800×600, viewed 283 times
      • IMG_6329.JPG

222.89 kB, 800×600, viewed 270 times
      • IMG_6332.JPG

168.15 kB, 800×600, viewed 277 times
      • IMG_6334.JPG

384.78 kB, 800×600, viewed 289 times
      • IMG_6335.JPG

385.39 kB, 800×600, viewed 272 times
      • IMG_6337.JPG

169.42 kB, 800×600, viewed 274 times
      • IMG_6342.JPG

184.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 285 times
      RIAP
    • TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I was climbing to Rocky Top for the first time and was in a lot worse shape so decided to lighten my pack. I hung some stuff (including my food) on the bear cable at Spence shelter. I ripped a page out of the register with a note that I was coming back and please don't steal my food.
      I realize now how stupid it was to leave a note. 1) Bears don't read and 2) if someone wants to steal my food a note isn't going to stop them. :)
      I kinda saw the note as an enticement for someone to steal it, it let them know you were not around.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I kinda saw the note as an enticement for someone to steal it, it let them know you were not around.
      Should of added "and if you do, you'll never know what has the poison in it".
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • After a week of regretting not climbing Wright peak on my last trip to the ADK's I decided to utilize the many days off I have on the books and take Monday and Tuesday off this past weekend and bang out a few more. Having never stated at the Adirondack Loj before, I figured I'd stay there for a night. The weather forecast was a little iffy for the entire weekend, but they were calling for sunny and in the 70's on Monday and chance of rain Tuesday. By "chance of rain" I mean hour to hour it would change from 20% to 80% From the Loj Wright peak is easily accessible as are a number of other peaks that could be done in a days time. Two of which are Street and Nye mountain. Both are known to have treed in peaks with very bad views. My plan was hike Wright on Monday when it was sunny and beautiful, sleep at the Loj then hike Street and Nye Tuesday in the rain and or overcast conditions
      All went according to plane. Wright was beautiful and very windy but the 360 degree views were stunning. I summited Wright in about 2.5 hours hiked back down and decided being it was still early I would also hike Mount Jo which isn't one of the 46 high peaks but also have stunning views of many of the high peaks and Heart Lake. I checked into the Loj and enjoyed the company of the people that stayed there. After breakfast the next morning I headed to Street and Nye. It stayed out partly cloudy and turned to overcast. I submitted Street first and it began lightly drizzling. Then onto Nye. Like I said the views weren't good and even if it was bright and sunny there really wouldn't have been good views either.
      All in all it was a fun trip. I'd recommend staying at the Loj to anyone. It's a great experience and the atmosphere was perfect. The foliage was in its peak and the views were amazing
      I'm supposed to be doing the Santanoni Range this upcoming Sunday and Monday with some friends. This range is 3 peaks and the trails are notorious for being very muddy and messy. On top of the chance of snow Saturday and temps dropping in the low 20's at night. The couple that is supposed to be going with me may back out. I'm eager to go and so far so good for me !
      Images
      • image.jpeg

63.95 kB, 600×600, viewed 268 times
      • image.jpeg

51.79 kB, 600×600, viewed 271 times
      • image.jpeg

101.55 kB, 600×600, viewed 261 times
      • image.jpeg

133.54 kB, 600×600, viewed 284 times
      • image.jpeg

56.63 kB, 600×600, viewed 264 times
      RIAP
    • Agree, great pix. I miss the ADKs!

If and when Merry and I eventually move out to western MA, they'll be within striking distance again. As it stands, just a bit too far for a "casual" visit from the Boston burbs.

I guess I'd need to get hold of a bear canister as well. Not yet part of my kit. Used one on the JMT for a couple of days, did not enjoy the extra weight and volume.
    • rafe wrote:

Agree, great pix. I miss the ADKs!

If and when Merry and I eventually move out to western MA, they'll be within striking distance again. As it stands, just a bit too far for a "casual" visit from the Boston burbs.

I guess I'd need to get hold of a bear canister as well. Not yet part of my kit. Used one on the JMT for a couple of days, did not enjoy the extra weight and volume.
      Thanks.
      The bear canister does get some used to carrying. You can actually rent them at the ADK mountain club hiking center.
      This coming weekend might be my last backpacking trip up there for the season. But I said that last weekend also :rolleyes:
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

rafe wrote:

Thanks.The bear canister does get some used to carrying. You can actually rent them at the ADK mountain club hiking center.
      This coming weekend might be my last backpacking trip up there for the season. But I said that last weekend also :rolleyes:
      What camera do you use?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

rafe wrote:

Thanks.The bear canister does get some used to carrying. You can actually rent them at the ADK mountain club hiking center.This coming weekend might be my last backpacking trip up there for the season. But I said that last weekend also :rolleyes:
      What camera do you use?
      Yeah, I'm curious about the square crop. What camera captures square images these days? Back in the day, medium format film could do that (6x6) and Instamatics (126 film) did that. Rare to see square-cropped images these days.
    • rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

rafe wrote:

Thanks.The bear canister does get some used to carrying. You can actually rent them at the ADK mountain club hiking center.This coming weekend might be my last backpacking trip up there for the season. But I said that last weekend also :rolleyes:
      What camera do you use?
      Yeah, I'm curious about the square crop. What camera captures square images these days? Back in the day, medium format film could do that (6x6) and Instamatics (126 film) did that. Rare to see square-cropped images these days.
      I use my iPhone.
      The square crop is the result of posting the picture on Instagram and then using that picture to post here.
      I have a decent older Sony point and shoot but found it easier to just use my phone. I keep it on airplane mode to conserve the battery and in essence is used just as a camera.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt., you're just flying on these trips and eating those mountains for lunch! You'd be leaving me in the dust (well, the mud...).

Good luck with Santanoni, the Peak of Misspelling (Couchsachraga) and Panther! I hear they're kind of nasty - maybe not as much of a slog as Allen, but messy nonetheless. Are you going up from Bradley Pond, or taking some more creative route? When I was on the Cold River section of the NPT, I ran into a guy who'd just got done soloing Coochie up from the Cold River bridle path by following the stream that the bridle path crosses about six miles west of Duck Hole. Follow the middle fork of the stream up, he said, and climb the headwall, and you're just about at the summit of Cooch. That's doing it the hard way! (The ford you start from is what, 18 miles from Lake Placid or about the same from the Henderson Lake trailhead?)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

A.T.Lt., you're just flying on these trips and eating those mountains for lunch! You'd be leaving me in the dust (well, the mud...).

Good luck with Santanoni, the Peak of Misspelling (Couchsachraga) and Panther! I hear they're kind of nasty - maybe not as much of a slog as Allen, but messy nonetheless. Are you going up from Bradley Pond, or taking some more creative route? When I was on the Cold River section of the NPT, I ran into a guy who'd just got done soloing Coochie up from the Cold River bridle path by following the stream that the bridle path crosses about six miles west of Duck Hole. Follow the middle fork of the stream up, he said, and climb the headwall, and you're just about at the summit of Cooch. That's doing it the hard way! (The ford you start from is what, 18 miles from Lake Placid or about the same from the Henderson Lake trailhead?)
      It's been a perfect storm for me on the weekends since I summited my first peak, Marcy, on August 23. Nye was my 19th. It's highly addictive and the minute I get home I already start planning my next trip. I've heard the Santas are a muddy, messy and scratchy herd path. Coupled with snow now Sunday and temps in the 20's at night, I'm sure I'll be cussing the entire time and thankfully done with them in the end. I have my gaiters and spikes and some winter gear all ready!
      I'm going to start near Tahawus Trail head is just about a mile or two before the upper works.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

A.T.Lt., you're just flying on these trips and eating those mountains for lunch! You'd be leaving me in the dust (well, the mud...).

It's been a perfect storm for me on the weekends since I summited my first peak, Marcy, on August 23. Nye was my 19th. It's highly addictive and the minute I get home I already start planning my next trip. I've heard the Santas are a muddy, messy and scratchy herd path. Coupled with snow now Sunday and temps in the 20's at night, I'm sure I'll be cussing the entire time and thankfully done with them in the end. I have my gaiters and spikes and some winter gear all ready!I'm going to start near Tahawus Trail head is just about a mile or two before the upper works.
      I'm hearing in the col between couchie and panther is a gigantic mud bog that is nearly impossible to avoid
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I'm going to start near Tahawus Trail head is just about a mile or two before the upper works.
      Yeah. That's the usual route, I hear. You turn off the marked trail just after you pass Bradley Pond on the left. That's easier than trying to cross downstream or use the beaver dam.

Wave to the west from Coochie! I'm planning to be doing trail maintenance on the Long Lake section of the NPT this weekend.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Yeah. That's the usual route, I hear. You turn off the marked trail just after you pass Bradley Pond on the left. That's easier than trying to cross downstream or use the beaver dam.
      Wave to the west from Coochie! I'm planning to be doing trail maintenance on the Long Lake section of the NPT this weekend.
      will do!! I'll be the muddy guy waving frantically :)
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

It's been a perfect storm for me on the weekends since I summited my first peak, Marcy, on August 23. Nye was my 19th. It's highly addictive and the minute I get home I already start planning my next trip. I've heard the Santas are a muddy, messy and scratchy herd path. Coupled with snow now Sunday and temps in the 20's at night, I'm sure I'll be cussing the entire time and thankfully done with them in the end. I have my gaiters and spikes and some winter gear all ready!I'm going to start near Tahawus Trail head is just about a mile or two before the upper works.
      I was thinking....with all this climbing and the time you have spent the past few months, you must be really really aerobic fit and you have to keep that pumping!!! Have fun Sean, I so want to get back up there!!!!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Foresight wrote:

Coochie....Nippletop... I need to find the man that named these peaks and put a mug of lager on his headstone :thumbup:
      Coochie is short for Couchsachraga, which most hikers can neither spell nor pronounce. (I just copied-n-pasted the name because I can't spell it either.) It's a Huron phrase meaning something like, 'in the dismal wilderness.' Since the Haudenosaunee committed genocide upon the Hurons, most of their stories are lost, including the one of how Couchsachraga was named.

As for who named Nippletop, the accounts have it that it was Orson "Old Mountain" Phelps.
      waldotomosky.wordpress.com/201…-phelps-adirondack-guide/

We could probably do a little research and find his grave. :)
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Coochie....Nippletop... I need to find the man that named these peaks and put a mug of lager on his headstone :thumbup:
      Coochie is short for Couchsachraga, which most hikers can neither spell nor pronounce. (I just copied-n-pasted the name because I can't spell it either.) It's a Huron phrase meaning something like, 'in the dismal wilderness.' Since the Haudenosaunee committed genocide upon the Hurons, most of their stories are lost, including the one of how Couchsachraga was named.
      As for who named Nippletop, the accounts have it that it was Orson "Old Mountain" Phelps.

Nippletop. Couchie. ...and Dix.
      Sounds like what I pictured going on while TJ was at the Naked Ground on the BMT!:) gif.013.gif
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by A.T.Lt ().

• AnotherKevin wrote:

And the plans come to naught. I got all packed, but the way my foot is feeling, I said to myself, "this is stupid," and bailed. It really wouldn't be smart to hike with a case of plantar fasciitis that's flaring. I'm disappointed.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

And the plans come to naught. I got all packed, but the way my foot is feeling, I said to myself, "this is stupid," and bailed. It really wouldn't be smart to hike with a case of plantar fasciitis that's flaring. I'm disappointed.
      I can relate. Temps cooled here to nice hiking weather, but the best I am allowed to do now is my rehab exercises and walking around the neighborhood in my sling.

Next week I will be in Franklin, NC and was hoping to do Winding Stair to Wayah Bald, or the Approach Trail. But both of those are definitely out now.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Coochie is short for Couchsachraga, which most hikers can neither spell nor pronounce. (I just copied-n-pasted the name because I can't spell it either.) It's a Huron phrase meaning something like, 'in the dismal wilderness.' Since the Haudenosaunee committed genocide upon the Hurons, most of their stories are lost, including the one of how Couchsachraga was named.As for who named Nippletop, the accounts have it that it was Orson "Old Mountain" Phelps.

Nippletop. Couchie. ...and Dix.Sounds like what I pictured going on while TJ was at the Naked Ground on the BMT!:) gif.013.gif
      Get your mind out of the gutter young man :)
    • Heading up in a little bit to the Santanoni Range. This range consists of 3 mountains located in the southwest corner of the high peaks region: Couchsachraga, (46th highest at 3820 ft.), Panther Peak, (18th highest at 4442 ft.) and Santanoni Peak(14th highest at 4607 ft.). Technically, Couchie, as it’s called, is not one of the 46 highest peaks in NY, because it is well under the 4000 foot requirement, due to an early measuring mistake. It is still required to do though, because of sheer tradition.This is widely regarded as one of the most unpleasant ranges in all the Adirondacks, due to the knee-deep pudding-like mud that is forever present along the trails leading to the range, and the infamous bog that sits in the col between Panther and Couchie. I will be hiking in the 4.8 miles to the Bradley Pond Lean-To/tent site today and then hiking tomorrow. The weather forecast calls for highs today of about 35 and the temps to drop to about 20 degrees tonight. Tomorrow is going to be sunny and a high of about 46. Have I ever told you how I hate the cold??? Im not much of a winter backpacker, but do own a Kelty 0 degree down bag which Im bringing.
      Ill be back late Monday and this will make it 22/46 for me.
      RIAP
    • So here's my trip report for my "attempt" at submitting the 3 Sanatoni Range peaks....
      I arrived at the DEC parking lot trailhead for the Bradley pond lean to Sunday around 12:30 in the afternoon. Temps were at 31 degrees with forecasts calling for them to go down to 20. The trial to lean to and then upwards to the peaks are notoriously sloppy and muddy. And once the trail turns off the logging road it became that way. As I hiked in evidence of snow and ice became more and more apparent and I quickly had to strap on my spikes. It began to snow and the temps began to drop considerably I arrived at the lean to, which was one of the cleanest i have yet to see in the Adirondacks. I set up my bag inside and there was a nice new tarp neatly folded inside which I was able to hook up to the front of the shelter. I settled in and scoped out the trail head for the herd path that leads up to what's called Times Square, the junction for the three peaks The herd path is unmaintained and not marked in any way Looking at it I could see that the fresh snow had covered up most of any evidence of trail ....
      So I head back and make dinner and clean up. Boil some water and as I'm thinking about the next day start to get cold. The temps were in the very low 20's I honestly started to worry a bit ... So climb into my bag which is a Kelty ignite down 0. It's about 8-8:30 and I quickly warm up and am nice and toasty inside my bag all night. Then came morning. It was very cold. And I hate the cold. Sunrise wasn't until about 7:15ish and I was in no mood to get up. And not really feeling this. I sort of felt like Forest Gump when he decided to just stop running...I had zero motivation for anything. I literally stayed in my bag Til about 8:30. Finally I got up started breaking everything down and making coffee and breakfast. There was a fresh coating of snow on the ground. I was all ready to start the hike back to my car I then sort of said to myself, maybe I'll give it a go. So I pack my stuff and head to the herd path. Again, the herd path is just that. A beaten down path that isn't marked or maintained. All evidence of a path were non existent. The herd path is also notoriously muddy and wet and miserable I start along and already my right foot crashes thru some ice and lunges my leg knee deep in mud. Not feeling it. I then come to what appears from the ice a pond. But it was just a muddy iced over bog. At this point I tell myself that I'm going home.
      Honestly if I were with someone or other people and not alone I think my motivation levels would have been higher. But I just wasn't feeling it. Being the only one out there and up even at higher elevations in this wet icy and cold environment, I just couldn't motivate myself. So I bailed!:)

I just mentally didn't have it in me.
      I'll be back to get these peaks!! Just not Til next year probably!:)
      I did get some good pics though
      RIAP
    • Discretion is the better part of valor. I can certainly relate to your story. Maybe it was something within you saying, "You know, maybe this isn't the safest or smartest thing to be doing right now."

As to having company, it can cut both ways -- as motivator and as de-motivator. You never know.