Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Dental Tragedy & WWII Vikings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dental Tragedy & WWII Vikings

So, I've been laid up for the last few days having fun with an impacted wisdom tooth (that is about 20 years behind schedule) and a resulting infection. Soonest appointment I could get with the oral surgeon is next week. That's left me off from work, trapped at home, and seeing the world through the haze of a narcotic & antibiotic cocktail. (I think I just saw a lucid moment run past me, but I can't be sure...)

Anyway, as I'm prone to do in my pain-laden boredom, I start sharing all the stuff I find online. 8o

Besides camping and bushcrafting stuff, another huge hobby/interest of mine is history. Books, docs, movies (especially older ones) I just love 'em.

Well, I found a documentary on YouTube that I'd seen some time ago, but forgotten about it until way early this morning when I couldn't stay horizontal because of the pressure it puts on my stupid teeth. Great WWII documentary (part of a series) about some of the things very few people know about that war.

youtube.com/watch?v=7V67Mn7PK9c

Summary: The doc is mostly about a badass team of Norwegians that the Brit's trained through their SOE back during WWII. These clandestine vikings were the key element that kept Hitler from being able to finish the atomic bomb. And, yeah, he was frighteningly damn close to it! But the bigger part of the story is how they parachuted on to the top of a huge arctic glacier shelf in the middle of winter so that they could rappel/climb/hike down in the spring time to sabotage this electric plant that was making "heavy water" (not the same as the heavy water some of you drug up and down the trail). The electric plant sat atop a mountain, surrounded on three sides by steep vertical ice cliffs, and had only one road with a suspension bridge leading to it. These badass Norwegian commandos spent the winter on damn near barren tundra, surviving on reindeer (damn, there goes Christmas), and finally scaled a huge ice-cliff just to sneak in and blow the crap out of this electric plant. Then they had to get off the mountain, ski/trek 200+ miles while evading nazi's that were hunting them down, and survive off the land again as they made their way in to Sweden.

I am not doing this story any justice by any means. If you like history doc's (those things that used to air on the History channel) then this is definitely worth checking out the next time you find yourself stuck indoors or otherwise unable to go play outside.

-

-

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • Astro wrote:

You might enjoy Now It Can Be Told: The Story Of The Manhattan Project by Leslie Grove.

Mr. Oppenheimer, I presume...? 8)

I don't know that title by name, but I know the story fairly well. Well, as well as a civilian not involved with the program might know it. But I will search out this specific title just in case there's more than I already know.

Crap! 2am rambling, again. I'll try to find this title. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Damn, now I know it's late! I was just catching up some other posts and finally returned here to go search for that title. But upon highlighting it so I could copy & paste I finally noticed who the author was! Fracken wow! I retract any former statement about knowing anything. This should be a straight from the horses mouth account. Holy fracken wow!!!

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."

The post was edited 2 times, last by g00gle: Holy fracken wow!!!​​ ().