Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

tents ? cannot find one all specs I like

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

you can take my drivers license, credit cards, even AARP...but don't touch my library card.
      I wondered if anyone was going to fess up to AARP membership.
      They pissed me off the last election cycle so I cut my card up and called them and asked that they remove all my info from their system so I no longer received mailings.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

you can take my drivers license, credit cards, even AARP...but don't touch my library card.
      They pissed me off the last election cycle so I cut my card up and called them and asked that they remove all my info from their system so I no longer received mailings.
      Couple months ago I got some little reflectix insulated bottle thingy, I might even use it. :D
    • socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Couple months ago I got some little reflectix insulated bottle thingy, I might even use it. :D
      ...revisiting this (cause I had put it away and haven't seen it in a while) it'll actually fits my entire kitchen set-up and doubles as a pot cozy...bonus!

• jimmyjam wrote:

socks, what is that a pic of?
      it's a little bag I got from AARP in the mail, it might have been something my wife picked out from a catalog...she's always getting free crap from places. She just gave it to me one day and said "Here, can you use this" inside is a zip-lock screw top storage container with a small plastic bottle and a silicone muffin cups for steam baking whatever, also in there is a alcohol stove and lighter and 1/4 wire mesh for pot support.

You want one, don't cha? :D
    • jimmyjam wrote:

you know you are the second person I've seen use that aarp bag like that. Who would have thought aarp hiking gear?
      I saw a similar set up using an AARP labeled bag in Moab this summer. She said her Grandma gave it to her. I had to ask as she didn't look old enough for the beer she carried up the trail.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • One thing I found out about my Gander Mountain 7'x7' dome tent is the way the rain fly attaches.

The regular tent poles have channels so the tent will bow up into a dome shape. There is a clip a short way down from the sleeves I used, but never saw a real need for.

The rain fly has cords at all 4 corners. With velcro at the point the cords attach to the rain fly.

If the velcro is attached to the tent poles below the clip, you stay dry.

If the velcro is attached above the clip, even a slight breeze will lift the rain fly up enough and let rain in via the side no-seeum net panels.

I learned this by setting up the tent in the backyard Friday night. I expected rain. Got a bit. Only rain that got in was via the one side vent due to not being careful in putting on the rain fly.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.