Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

tents ? cannot find one all specs I like

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

i'm an adult. i use a real wallet. one of those lightweight fabric things.
      Same here, I have a very lightweight nylon cloth wallet...only problem is it has a picture of a tiger with LSU written under it...would have preferred a picture of a bulldog with MSU under it.....I'm ashamed to let anyone see it so I take money out before I go into a store.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

a well known hiker uses an altoid tin as a wallet. one day in town he went to a restaurant, and when he went to pay discovered he had accidentally picked up the "other" altoid tin that he used to carry his condoms. oops!
      So did the waitress end up letting him slide? gif.013.gif
      She was hoping for a big tip.
      fess up...who hijacked tj's account? :)
      2,000 miler
    • rafe wrote:

Why pass up an easy opportunity to lose a bit of packed weight? Do you really need your library card, your AAA card, your "loyalty cards" etc. in the woods or in a trail town? I don't feel any less adult for leaving the wallet behind.
      I totally agree, I love my JimmyJam wallet. :thumbup:

An ounce is an ounce (or gram is a gram) no matter where you save it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • rafe wrote:

Why pass up an easy opportunity to lose a bit of packed weight? Do you really need your library card, your AAA card, your "loyalty cards" etc. in the woods or in a trail town? I don't feel any less adult for leaving the wallet behind.
      Just cause you have a real wallet is no reason to fill it with crap.....although, I do believe I'm capable of carrying a full wallet should I wish to.
    • I've grown out of the obsession to cut weight, not saying be stupid and pack an anvil, but someone made a comment on TOS way back that makes sense and I still remember it...paraphrased....I know what I need and that's what I'm taking and there's no reason to be weighing it....that's pretty much where I'm at now.
    • Drybones wrote:

I've grown out of the obsession to cut weight, not saying be stupid and pack an anvil, but someone made a comment on TOS way back that makes sense and I still remember it...paraphrased....I know what I need and that's what I'm taking and there's no reason to be weighing it....that's pretty much where I'm at now.
      i met a few people on horseback last year on the bmt at the base of the 1300 ft climb up big frog, and one of the guys offered to carry my pack to the top for me. i thought about it for a second and replied"no offense, but everything i need is in that pack, and i need everything thats in there. i'll carry it up myself." i met them at the top after making the steep climb, told the man who had made the offer that i was now willing to take him up on it.
      its actually a good adage to cope off trail as well in this age of over consumption.
      balance is needing everything you have and having everything you need.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I've grown out of the obsession to cut weight, not saying be stupid and pack an anvil, but someone made a comment on TOS way back that makes sense and I still remember it...paraphrased....I know what I need and that's what I'm taking and there's no reason to be weighing it....that's pretty much where I'm at now.
      i met a few people on horseback last year on the bmt at the base of the 1300 ft climb up big frog, and one of the guys offered to carry my pack to the top for me. i thought about it for a second and replied"no offense, but everything i need is in that pack, and i need everything thats in there. i'll carry it up myself." i met them at the top after making the steep climb, told the man who had made the offer that i was now willing to take him up on it.its actually a good adage to cope off trail as well in this age of over consumption.
      balance is needing everything you have and having everything you need.
      I am slightly different.
      I WANT everything in my pack.
      I am not adverse to carrying things on a whim.
      But otherwise I concur with both the above comments.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I too have a JJ wallet.
      For hiking vacations I take a credit card, debit card, driver's license, and auto registration.
      I also bring my AAA card. Driving an old 2002, high mileage (340,000 miles) car it seems like a good idea.
      It also gets a small discount if we look for a motel room during the vacation.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      For hiking vacations I take a credit card, debit card, driver's license, and auto registration.
      I also bring my AAA card. Driving an old 2002, high mileage (340,000 miles) car it seems like a good idea.
      AAA also gets you a discount on Amtrak
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      Yep, but at our age the Senior discount is better. gif.014.gif
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      Is it 55 or 65?
    • socks wrote:

...anyhow, I love my JJ cuben wallet, but have since stopped looking for the lightest gear available...for the most part. Obviously if I find something lighter weight and on the cheap that can replace an item I need, well....Bonus!
      You got any UL credit cards in that wallet....I got some UL cash I can loan you, weighs nothing.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

...anyhow, I love my JJ cuben wallet, but have since stopped looking for the lightest gear available...for the most part. Obviously if I find something lighter weight and on the cheap that can replace an item I need, well....Bonus!
      You got any UL credit cards in that wallet....I got some UL cash I can loan you, weighs nothing.
      I am sure Monopoly money is lighter. ;)
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

...never had any credit cards that didn' t come with a heavy bill each month.
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      What I like about AAA is you don't really have to be a member to get the discount. Me - hmmh, now where did I put that card? Clerk - don't worry about it, I'll apply the discount.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Astro wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      Is it 55 or 65?

I would qualify at either of those two age limits.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Astro wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      Is it 55 or 65?
      Actually it's 62+
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Astro wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too have a JJ wallet.
      Is it 55 or 65?
      Actually it's 62+
      ...and that makes ten!

years for me to go.
    • Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I bought some velcro closure sacks. One is a bit larger than a wallet. The largest one is right for a folded topo map.

Ah, I bought a small tarp for under my tent. footprint. Seems to me just calling it a tarp would 'fit' better. But then maybe it wasn't a good enough word for some body.
      If they called it a trap too many people would go to the hardware store and buy some cheap plastic tarps. Then they would not be able to sell many footprints.
      I used plastic painter tarps to make footprints for the troop's tents it they lasted only a single camp out. Scored a partial roll of Tyvek and reaccomplished the work. Most are still going strong.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

you can take my drivers license, credit cards, even AARP...but don't touch my library card.
      I wondered if anyone was going to fess up to AARP membership.
      i have been getting mailings from them to join for years and i keep throwing them away. is clever sometimes the way they disguise some of these offers, thinking somehow that they will trick me.my mom told me it could get me discounts. i said that that involves buying stuff.she told me i could get discounts on travel. i told her i live in a tent when on vacation.she gave up. but aarp has refused to give up on me.
      its all good
    • When using tyvek for a footprint, consider cutting one side a foot bigger than the tent. When setting up in inclement weather you put this on the uphill or windward side. Bend it up between inner and fly and it stops wind and ensures the water runs under it.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

When using tyvek for a footprint, consider cutting one side a foot bigger than the tent. When setting up in inclement weather you put this on the uphill or windward side. Bend it up between inner and fly and it stops wind and ensures the water runs under it.
      Did this and it works, but most scouts have a short memory and they think it serves as a boot wipe at the entry.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

When using tyvek for a footprint, consider cutting one side a foot bigger than the tent. When setting up in inclement weather you put this on the uphill or windward side. Bend it up between inner and fly and it stops wind and ensures the water runs under it.
      Did this and it works, but most scouts have a short memory and they think it serves as a boot wipe at the entry.
      Vestibule side is NOT the side to do it.
      I use a separate piece of tyvek or a section of closed cell foam for a door mat. The foam is great. Doubles as seat on wet ground and can be pulled up for a movable wind break between fly and inner.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

you can take my drivers license, credit cards, even AARP...but don't touch my library card.
      I wondered if anyone was going to fess up to AARP membership.
      i have been getting mailings from them to join for years and i keep throwing them away. is clever sometimes the way they disguise some of these offers, thinking somehow that they will trick me.my mom told me it could get me discounts. i said that that involves buying stuff.she told me i could get discounts on travel. i told her i live in a tent when on vacation.she gave up. but aarp has refused to give up on me.
      Your mom is a lot wiser than AARP
    • Agreed. However Scouts tend not to think long term. As I don't go on every camp out, (cuts into my biking/hiking time) it's a relearning experience for most of them when I do camp with them.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC