Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Darwin should have fun with this...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• #6. Charles Darwin Ate Every Animal He Discovered

[IMG:http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/1/8/114118.jpg?v=1]
      Explorer, scientist, possessor of extraordinary beards, Charles Darwin is one of the most recognizable names of the 19th century. You'd think you'd have to really love animals to study them for so long and in so much depth. And you'd be right.
      Darwin really loved animals.
      The Diet:
      The entire evolutionary ladder.
      [IMG:http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/2/5/114125.jpg?v=1]
      "Would a monkey eat his own ancestor? Damn right he would."
      Charles Darwin ate a sample of any and every animal he discovered. During his studies at Cambridge University he joined the Gourmet Club, whose mission statement was to go forth and eat as many rare and unusual animals as possible. It was basically a 19th century Epic Meal Time.
      He enjoyed his time with them so much that when he set off in the Beagle for South America, he ate everything -- armadillo ("Tastes like duck"), agouti and veal. Oh wait, did we say veal? We meant a meat that Darwin thought to be veal that later turned out to be puma.
      [IMG:http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/2/6/114126.jpg?v=1]Getty
      "My conclusion is: chicken. We're all descended from chickens."
      Nothing quite sums up Darwin's rampant attempted extinction of South American fauna by way of his digestive system like his search for the lesser Rhea, an animal known to exist but that had not been studied by science. After weeks of chasing the bird in what we can only assume was a Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner-like sequence, he gave up and settled down to a nice meal of greater Rhea. He was half way through it when he realized he was actually eating a lesser Rhea, gathered up what he hadn't eaten and sent it to England for study.
      [IMG:http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/3/1/114131_v1.jpg]Wikipedia
      The official natural state of the Rhea is flame-grilled and tooth-marked.
      Darwin didn't always manage to stop eating the animals he was supposed to be studying, though. Of the 48 giant tortoises brought back on the Beagle by Darwin, not a single one actually made it off the ship.

cracked.com/article_19660_8-hu…would-make-goat-puke.html
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Working bike rallies the crew oftens gets frustrated answering stupid questions. Years ago I said to my boss the people here have to be the luckiest people in the world. When he asked why I told him, because they made it here. They don't know how to read a f&^%ing sign but somhow found there way here! I often think of George Carlin's Quote" Just think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize half the people in this world are dummer than him!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mountain-Mike: Speelun ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

Working bike rallies the crew oftens gets frustrated answering stupid questions. Years ago I said to my boss the people here have to be the luckiest people in the world. When he asked why I told him, because they made it here. They don't know how to read a f&^%ing sign but somhow found there way here! I often think of George Carlin's Quote" Just think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize half the people in this world are dummer than him!"
      Try directing traffic at a accident scene.....
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Working bike rallies the crew oftens gets frustrated answering stupid questions. Years ago I said to my boss the people here have to be the luckiest people in the world. When he asked why I told him, because they made it here. They don't know how to read a f&^%ing sign but somhow found there way here! I often think of George Carlin's Quote" Just think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize half the people in this world are dummer than him!"
      Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...it's even more fun when it's snowing and the rubbernecking cars are being driven by old people. :thumbdown:
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I was helping out at a accident scene a few days ago and got hit by a passing SUV. The 40 something year old woman driving thought it would be a good idea to video the scene as she drove by. Luckily it was just her mirror that got me. Now she has to get her mirror fixed and pay a 750 dollar fine. Stupid beotch......
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

I was helping out at a accident scene a few days ago and got hit by a passing SUV. The 40 something year old woman driving thought it would be a good idea to video the scene as she drove by. Luckily it was just her mirror that got me. Now she has to get her mirror fixed and pay a 750 dollar fine. Stupid beotch......
      One of the most vivid moments from my volly firefighter days was a minor MVA next to the median of I-95 at night in the snow. We were called out to do scene safety for all highway accidents, so we showed up, positioned the trucks to block the left and middle lanes and helped out with a few things as the EMT's got one person onto a stretcher.
      All of a sudden a car came skidding straight towards us and the patient on the stretcher. The woman driving, who had to be in her mid 80's, lost control of the car while merging back into the middle lane too early and locked her breaks. As she came sliding into the scene, she was well lit by our lights and I saw her actually take her hands off the wheel and throw them into the air as she screamed in panic. By dumb luck she stopped three or four feet in front of the stretcher and drove away after being yelled at.
    • Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Try directing traffic at any type of scene.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...it's even more fun when it's snowing and the rubbernecking cars are being driven by old people. :thumbdown:
      Hey fella, define old.............you just might be talking about me! :rolleyes:
    • LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Hey fella, define old.............you just might be talking about me! :rolleyes:
      Anyone over 45
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone over 45
      And here I thought it was over 55. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone over 45
      nope, 54 old timer. :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone old enough to remember when external frame packs were considered normal...

...oh, wait that's me too.
    • Not surprising the wallet lasted longer than the victim. I recall seeing images of the sea floor at the Titanic wreck site. The area was littered with shoes, always arranged in pairs. It took the researchers a little while to figure out that this is where the bodies landed. Over the years the bodies have completely decayed away but the leather shoes are still there where the feet used to be.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Anyone old enough to remember when external frame packs were considered normal...
      Some days I really wish I still had my old Kelty. I was stupid to give that away :(

Ever see the AMC Hut crews with their Packboards? Now that is badass.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • we used to carry 50 pounds all day long and twice on sunday using external frame packs -- without trekking poles -- and never gave it a second thot. ounce weenies don't understand that a 4 pound pack that actually supports the load is better than a 2 pound pack that doesn't.
      2,000 miler
    • Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone over 45
      My definition of old changes annually.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone over 45
      I'm old enough that businesses sometimes give me a senior discount without me asking for it :S
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I had two camp trails packs
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone over 45
      I'm old enough that businesses sometimes give me a senior discount without me asking for it :S
      I guess I am more thrifty than vain. I welcome any discount I get. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Anyone old enough to remember when external frame packs were considered normal......oh, wait that's me too.
      I had two camp trails packs
      i wore out 2 myself and wish i had the foresight to have bought a couple more.
      2,000 miler