Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

New Hostel Fundraiser - North Carolina

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• best hostel experience i had was at kincora. bob peoples and seiko are awesome people that do so much for the trail and hikers in general, didnt matter at all i was a section hiker when i stayed. laundry,shower kitchen use and a bunk, as well as shuttles into town to resupply, and a free slackpack, all for a $5 donation.
      i left substantially more.
      its all good
    • LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

bob should charge a lot more for a stay. most thru-hikers think "donatioin" means free. he gets stiffed regularly

I only have ever stayed at one hostel (Shaws). Nice people. I cheated. Stayed in a room.
      hostels generally suck. a private room is the way to go

I prefer the private tent on the trail. The company was nice in the room though.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • i stayed at 3 hostels, first at gooches gap, where we witnessed wilson! becoming a grandpa live via is ithingy, next at uncle johnnies at erwin, where i stayed two nights, met violet beauregard for the first time, and last one was kincora. each time, it was only the people that were there that made each of those experiences memorable.the rest of my stays in town were in private rooms.if i was hiking alone, i never would have slept in town as much as i had.its gonna be very different on the bmt this spring. cant wait.
      i agree bob peoples should charge more, and you're right, ls, i know a few people that stiffed him.
      its all good
    • LoboSolo wrote:

back to this potential new hostel. i don't see it workin'. it's 10 miles from the NOC, 99% of hikers resupply, get a motel, and take days off in franklin. this guy makes it sound like he'll charge nothing but is beggin' for cash to start it up
      i agree. if theyre strapped for cash before they start.theyre gonna need to shuttle hikers too, as theyre too far from the trail, and that costs bucks,insurance,etc.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

back to this potential new hostel. i don't see it workin'. it's 10 miles from the NOC, 99% of hikers resupply, get a motel, and take days off in franklin. this guy makes it sound like he'll charge nothing but is beggin' for cash to start it up
      i agree. if theyre strapped for cash before they start.theyre gonna need to shuttle hikers too, as theyre too far from the trail, and that costs bucks,insurance,etc.
      plus lots of water for laundry and showers. can solar power keep up with the demand?
    • Re:Re: New Hostel

LoboSolo wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

plus lots of water for laundry and showers. can solar power keep up with the demand?

Solar power system capable of doing multiple loads per day like a hostel is going to be really expensive. Somewhere around 60k. They could use propane for the dryer.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: New Hostel

LoboSolo wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

the NOC has a bunkhouse, restaurants, outfitter, showers, laundry and a community kitchen and beer. gonna be hard to compete with that. why go 10 miles away?

Not much cheap land for sale real close to NOC
      what i meant was why would a hiker go 10 miles away when everything they need is right on the trail

We are in agreement there about why hikers are going to stay at NOC. They wanted a hostel close to NOC and 10 miles is probably as close as they could afford.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Most start up businesses that don't make it are because they do not have enough capital/cash up front. You can have a great idea, but if you are not prepared for the slow cash flow, and long payback period, you will not make it. Sad, but that is reality.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

Personally do not believe that location is going to be successful.

Neither do I but it is not hopeless.
      They would have to base the hostel custom around the shuttle service.
      Problem is that hiker trade is actually very short term for most places.
      Thruhikers are only in sufficient numbers to be a viable income source in GA and TN. Even Damascus would not be viable without the cyclists I suspect.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Re:Re: New Hostel

LoboSolo wrote:

Rasty wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

the NOC has a bunkhouse, restaurants, outfitter, showers, laundry and a community kitchen and beer. gonna be hard to compete with that. why go 10 miles away?

Not much cheap land for sale real close to NOC
      what i meant was why would a hiker go 10 miles away when everything they need is right on the trail

^^^ this :huh:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • When I was at the NOC they turned about 20 hikers away. Said they were all filled up. Everyone was looking for a ride to go elsewhere for the night. I hung around and noticed a shift change and went in the restaurant and asked again. Got a bunkhouse all to myself. Thinking someone just didn't want to go to the trouble of checking in a bunch of hikers. If that attitude persists a hostel ten miles away might have a chance.
    • Storm wrote:

When I was at the NOC they turned about 20 hikers away. Said they were all filled up. Everyone was looking for a ride to go elsewhere for the night. I hung around and noticed a shift change and went in the restaurant and asked again. Got a bunkhouse all to myself. Thinking someone just didn't want to go to the trouble of checking in a bunch of hikers. If that attitude persists a hostel ten miles away might have a chance.

You brought up a good point - I would go check the facilities myself before taking "no" for an answer. Unfortunately YMMV as to the quality of service you get there and what time of year you're there. I've been going there for over 20 years as part of paddling trips, etc. and seen a lot of variation in the attitude toward customer service. Many of their seasonal employees are just kids who work there mainly so they can go paddling, biking, etc. for the summer. Not all of them are indifferent, but enough of them, and the volume of customers during the busy season makes it easy to get away with short cutting service. They are swamped during the warm months with rafting customers and hikers come in a far distant second. If you've ever walked into their outfitter store during a summer weekend you'll know what I mean. Rafters, kayakers, families back to back, they've got their hands full just taking care of customers and watching for shoplifting. I'm not surprised.
    • I get the desire to live off the grid or to live a so called sustainable existence.

What I don't get is the aversion to being business minded or making one's time and property profitable. I mean doesnt being sustainable include having sufficient money in your pocket to take care of your obligations and family needs and wants? There is no sin in getting what you and your property are worth.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

I get the desire to live off the grid or to live a so called sustainable existence.

What I don't get is the aversion to being business minded or making one's time and property profitable. I mean doesnt being sustainable include having sufficient money in your pocket to take care of your obligations and family needs and wants? There is no sin in getting what you and your property are worth.

I'm also having some trouble understanding their whole message as it was presented in the solicitation for funding. They seem sincere, but maybe they need to edit the plea to make it more clear.just exactly what they plan to do with the money and how they will sustain themselves long term. $5000 is not going to go far toward funding all the improvements they've said need to be done this spring. And as you said, why not charge what the services are worth? I paid $50 to stay at a hiker "bunk and breakfast" in CT last year. You got a full supper with your first beverage free, they did your laundry upon arrival while you took a hot shower, you slept on a real mattress with sheets, you got a full breakfast the next morning, and a free shuttle to and from the trail. I was thinking 50 bucks was a pretty good deal for all that, as I sat sipping my very large glass of free wine gif.014
      Or maybe they make enough money via other employment where they can afford to run the hostel on a donation basis like they want. Good luck with that, Lone Wolf has plenty of stories about how well the donation system works as a main source of funding for The Place - not.
    • Hikermom wrote:

Are you guys talking about this place?

http://www.gofundme.com/5zq2lk

Hi, Hikermom!

No, the guy you're referring to (Sir Packsalot) actually seems to have all his ducks in a row and sets forth a pretty clear summary of his business plan. He's got some major fund-raising to do, but he presents his case in an orgainized way that's easy to understand. The people that Tuck and I are talking about are a totally different hostel fund raiser site. It's listed here:

http://www.gofundme.com/5xrbs0

p.s. When are you going to post an avatar and quit being the red headed stepchild :lol:
    • TrainWreck wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Hi, Hikermom!

No, the guy you're referring to (Sir Packsalot) actually seems to have all his ducks in a row and sets forth a pretty clear summary of his business plan. He's got some major fund-raising to do, but he presents his case in an orgainized way that's easy to understand. The people that Tuck and I are talking about are a totally different hostel fund raiser site. It's listed here:

p.s. When are you going to post an avatar and quit being the red headed stepchild :lol:

Oh... ok.... :>) Hey TUCK!! :woohoo: Welp... I do not like that "look ... I look like gif.010 I guess I will at some point,,,Ur's is cute TW!! gif.004
    • Hikermom wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Hi, Hikermom!

Oh... ok.... :>) Hey TUCK!! :woohoo: Welp... I do not like that "look ... I look like gif.010 I guess I will at some point,,,Ur's is cute TW!! gif.004

Did you notice that I am in her avatar too? I feel special.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Hi, Hikermom!

Not all scaleys are mean!
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Hi, Hikermom!

I did notice that BB... you are really special! :silly: I knew that from "hello". ;)