Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

New Hostel Fundraiser - North Carolina

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Are you guys talking about this place?

http://www.gofundme.com/5zq2lk

Hi, Hikermom!

No, the guy you're referring to (Sir Packsalot) actually seems to have all his ducks in a row and sets forth a pretty clear summary of his business plan. He's got some major fund-raising to do, but he presents his case in an orgainized way that's easy to understand. The people that Tuck and I are talking about are a totally different hostel fund raiser site. It's listed here:

http://www.gofundme.com/5xrbs0

p.s. When are you going to post an avatar and quit being the red headed stepchild :lol:

Oh... ok.... :>) Hey TUCK!! :woohoo: Welp... I do not like that "look ... I look like gif.010 I guess I will at some point,,,Ur's is cute TW!! gif.004

Did you notice that I am in her avatar too? I feel special.

Not all scaleys are mean!

That's true... I can never say you've been mean! 49.gif
    • LoboSolo wrote:

they think $30 is too much for for a bunk, dinner and breakfast. told me on FB that is fine for a section hiker

Not being a thru-hiker I can see this happening --

The young "broke" thru-hiker comes in and enjoys the hospitality of such a hostel and takes all that the proprietors have to offer, and on the way out the door fails to leave a dime in the till cause well... they will need beer money up the trail and the hostel was donation based after all.

The sectioner will come in and enjoy the hostel and all that is offered and at the end leave enough money to cover what the stay was worth.

Yet the proprietors will fawn and coo over the awesome thru-hiker and the spiritual adventure they are on, while the sectioner just paid the bills.

(Oh yes this was a big generalization, but there is a grain of truth to it)
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

they think $30 is too much for for a bunk, dinner and breakfast. told me on FB that is fine for a section hiker

Not being a thru-hiker I can see this happening --

The young "broke" thru-hiker comes in and enjoys the hospitality of such a hostel and takes all that the proprietors have to offer, and on the way out the door fails to leave a dime in the till cause well... they will need beer money up the trail and the hostel was donation based after all.

The sectioner will come in and enjoy the hostel and all that is offered and at the end leave enough money to cover what the stay was worth.

Yet the proprietors will fawn and coo over the awesome thru-hiker and the spiritual adventure they are on, while the sectioner just paid the bills.

(Oh yes this was a big generalization, but there is a grain of truth to it)
      fuckin' A! gif.004 LOTSA truth. thru-hikers are just vacationers
    • LoboSolo wrote:

This is the part I just don't get. The way they just airily write off section hikers as being loaded with cash while the poor struggling thrus are just barely getting by. Thrus or sectioners, they're ALL vacationers who have either the time or disposable income to go hiking for a while. Why are they assuming a section hiker can afford the $30 better than a thru hiker can? If anything, sectioning takes a larger chunk of your hiking budget because you're paying for stuff the thru-hiker may not have to worry about: the shuttle arrangements/car drop off, maybe lodging before or after the hike, gas to get there, off-trail meals, etc. If anything, sectioners should get the discount. But what do I know, I'm just an undeserving, section hiking chump :(
      Actually, worse than that, I'm more of a weekender. Totally off the scale!
    • All I can say is, they've strongly implied that they're not interested in section hikers and want to cultivate the thru hiker contingent. So let them go for it :)
      I first realized I was a second class citizen when I got turned down for asking to take a shower at Walasi Yi when we hiked from Springer to Unicoi Gap in 1993. I was told by the lady there that the showers were only for thru hikers. Made no sense whatsoever, especially since I offered to pay for the showers up front AND we were resupplying from their little store.. I was just as dirty and had hiked just as many miles as a thru hiker at that point. I finally did get my shower, but not without some pestering.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

All I can say is, they've strongly implied that they're not interested in section hikers and want to cultivate the thru hiker contingent. So let them go for it :)
      I first realized I was a second class citizen when I got turned down for asking to take a shower at Walasi Yi when we hiked from Springer to Unicoi Gap in 1993. I was told by the lady there that the showers were only for thru hikers. Made no sense whatsoever, especially since I offered to pay for the showers up front AND we were resupplying from their little store.. I was just as dirty and had hiked just as many miles as a thru hiker at that point. I finally did get my shower, but not without some pestering.
      pretty stupid. the thru hiker market is pretty limited, where the section hiker mkt isnt. how many thrus going through hiawassee in june?july?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

All I can say is, they've strongly implied that they're not interested in section hikers and want to cultivate the thru hiker contingent. So let them go for it :)
      pretty stupid. the thru hiker market is pretty limited, where the section hiker mkt isnt. how many thrus going through hiawassee in june?july?

Couldn't say. Probably less than 10. On the other hand, you drive by Dicks Creek Gap, Winding Stairs Gap, Unicoi Gap, Rock Gap any time during the summer and you're going to see any number of cars parked at the trail head. Just more clueless weekenders and lowly sectioners :whistle:
    • TrainWreck wrote:

one year a friend and i were doin' springer to damascus. arrived at fontana hilton where a cookout was goin' on. the guy doin' it asked if we were thru-hikers. i told him no. no food for us. "thru-hikers only" fuckin' trail angels my ass
    • LoboSolo wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

one year a friend and i were doin' springer to damascus. arrived at fontana hilton where a cookout was goin' on. the guy doin' it asked if we were thru-hikers. i told him no. no food for us. "thru-hikers only" fuckin' trail angels my ass

• TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

that's why i wanna do "magic" at road crossings for "section hikers only"

Hope to see you at all the notches in NH this summer. Remember, I like cookies.

I like Coors Light

I will swap you all the beer I will buy the rest of my life for 1/10th of all the cookies you buy the rest of your life.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

I will swap you all the beer I will buy the rest of my life for 1/10th of all the cookies you buy the rest of your life.

I'm not that good at math. Send me a proposal with a 20 year projected beer inventory and appropriate pie charts.
    • TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

I'm not that good at math. Send me a proposal with a 20 year projected beer inventory and appropriate pie charts.

Here is a graph showing all my beer purchases:
      0___________________________________________________0
      I don't know your cookie purchasing schedule.
    • Re:Re: New Hostel

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

I will give you 8 times your beer consumption in cookies.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

My graph is about to change.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

I asked for a pie chart for a reason. I don't eat that many cookies.

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

π x 0 ______________________________________________ π x 0

Better?

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

I like Coors Light

π x 0 ______________________________________________ π x 0

Better?

I was hoping for something more in the line of a menu. With pictures.

I'm more that likely gonna be doing section day hikes. But I'm gonna get Shellie a pack filled with balloons and if I run up on a feed I'm gonna tell them we are both thru-hikers and when we get done eating we're gonna hop in the car and head back to the trailer. After all, for that day I will be through hiking.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

I'm more that likely gonna be doing section day hikes. But I'm gonna get Shellie a pack filled with balloons and if I run up on a feed I'm gonna tell them we are both thru-hikers and when we get done eating we're gonna hop in the car and head back to the trailer. After all, for that day I will be through hiking.

Best plan I've heard in a long time.
      Beside, ain't no such thing as a thru hiker until you get it done. People asked me if I was a thru hiker and I told them I was hiking north. Most would persist until I told them I was trying to make it all the way. I think anyone who gets off their duff and hikes at all is way ahead of those that don't.
    • I should say that in my personal experiences I have had wonderful encounters those that are sectioners, those attempting to be thru-hikers, and those who provide services. I honestly cannot think of any time that I have had a bad experience.

I dont understand why a business would differentiate between the activities of its customer base. What does it matter if the costumer is a section hiker, canoer, or a thru-hiker? Money is money when it is offered for a product.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

That is the great thing about America, you can start up a company and you are free to foolishly misinterpret your customer base and go broke. You can not really succeed if you are not also allowed to fail.

For their sake I hope they get a better understanding of there target market to improve their chances of making it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General